Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Daddy tech support

Post by MurphCID »

I don't know how it is at your house, but here in the Murph home, I am Daddy Tech support (although my oldest is backup support, especially on IOS). I have seven Windows machines to support, three Ipads, one Android tablet, one Linux Mint laptop, one MacPro laptop, three allegedly "smart" TVs (all older), and a wife who refuses to understand technology (or at least not if I can fix it).

Common refrain: "Honey I cannot find YouTube!" Me: "Click on the icon!", Her: What icon? Me: "The YouTube Icon!", Her" Where is it?" Me: !*$&!*%!)!!! I go and show her AGAIN where the icon is located.

"Honey, I can't open Chrome!" Me: Did you click on the icon? Her: "Yes, its not working!" Me: You are clicking on Firefox, just use that!" Her: "I don't know how! All my bookmarks are on Chrome!" (The Chrome Icon is on the task bar, she never looks there). Me: !@#($&*!!!!

"Dad!, I can't get Zoom to work!" Me: "Just reboot the d@mn thing!" "Dad!, I can't log in on Zoom!" Me: !*()$&*!$(_%!!!!!

My dad, ever since I put Mint 19.3 on his computer, I never have an issue, he loves using "Windows", and does not know the difference.....

Anyone feel the pain?
Last edited by MurphCID on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Moem »

I can't say that I do. The only person I do tech support for is my mother and it's easy especially since she's on Mint.
I do my own computer maintenance and so does my partner. Sometimes (rarely) I ask his help with more complicated operations, and he gives it happily because at least there's no Windows involved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

To a certain extent, yes, but I try to vary my availability or response :)

For example,

When you hear "Honey, I can't find Youtube", try replying with "Yep, I hear it's gone missing. There's an APB out and a big reward for whoever finds it first!".

"I can't open Chrome" - "The keys are hanging on the hook".

"Icon?" - "You're the only icon in my life darling"!

... You get the idea :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Mick-Cork wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 am To a certain extent, yes, but I try to vary my availability or response :)

For example,

When you hear "Honey, I can't find Youtube", try replying with "Yep, I hear it's gone missing. There's an APB out and a big reward for whoever finds it first!".

Very brave man, very brave. :)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I take care of my stuff, a Win7 desktop, couple of laptops with 19.3 and LM20,

my daughter has a Win10 laptop only because we cannot find Windows like replacements for Office, she uses the database extensively, and there isn't a single Linux product that can do what it does.

I take care of several PCs for friends, remotely with TeamViewer.
2 are on 18.3 Cinnamon,
1 is still Windows 7 ala Win10 now....

so far, so good.

I create more problems than all of the rest of them combined.....

good thing Smurphos and forum members keep me straight :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there has actually been some LinuxMint Tech issues, over the years,
but, it mostly is other folks Windows based PCs that give the most grief, to their owners.
:(

the Windows Install is usually straight-forward, but it's those pesky 'updates'
- that give the most grief.

/Daddy / Husband / to the rescue . ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Posts one and three totally cracked me up! I'm happily single and have no one living with me (another happy situation) so there is no need for me to provide tech support. I used to give some tech support to friends back when I was on Win 7 but now that Win 7 is past EOL and I'm still learning Linux, it will be a while (if ever, considering my age) before I'll be giving anyone any tech support.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Mick-Cork wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:00 am To a certain extent, yes, but I try to vary my availability or response :)

For example,

You're my hero.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I am definitely tier 1 tech support for my wife who is on LM 19.3 - typically though her issues are with Firefox. Actually although I do help several folks with Mint that I have installed Mint for - it is just basic user level support. For anything beyond tier 1 this forum has been my support. For the really complicated issues it has been rene who has bailed me out. Where I cannot help is when from time to time a few friends and family ask for help with Windows.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:46 am

For example,

You're my hero.
Me too.... I agree.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'll happily lend a helping hand, but I resent people who are looking for a perpetual handout.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:01 pm I'll happily lend a helping hand, but I resent people who are looking for a perpetual handout.
As my wife says, tech support was in our marriage vows.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 am I have seven Windows machines to support, three Ipads, one Android tablet, one Linux Mint laptop, one MacPro laptop, three allegedly "smart" TVs (all older), and a wife who refuses to understand technology (or at least not if I can fix it).
OK, there you are, Windows machines. Once the one Windows computer we had running (my partner's one) was destroyed by Microsoft and replaced with Mint, virtually no support has been needed. She knows how to use a computer so my presumption is your wife is nearly 90 years old?

The only help I need to give is if an odd doc or picture off the web needs fiddling with to make it readable before printing.

Zoom? She set all of that up.

Our systems? Two (4 if the seldom used ones are counted) desktops, two laptops all running Mint.

Otherwise it is Shed IT support for other users, generally installing Mint on their computers or showing the little fiddles that can make it go better.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:01 pm I'll happily lend a helping hand, but I resent people who are looking for a perpetual handout.
I don't mind that if it's balanced in other ways. If it feels fair, it's fine.
My mother has done so much for me that I'm happy to be able to give something back by doing this for her.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:43 am I have seven Windows machines to support, three Ipads, one Android tablet, one Linux Mint laptop, one MacPro laptop, three allegedly "smart" TVs (all older), and a wife who refuses to understand technology (or at least not if I can fix it).
OK, there you are, Windows machines. Once the one Windows computer we had running (my partner's one) was destroyed by Microsoft and replaced with Mint, virtually no support has been needed. She knows how to use a computer so my presumption is your wife is nearly 90 years old?

The only help I need to give is if an odd doc or picture off the web needs fiddling with to make it readable before printing.

Zoom? She set all of that up.

Our systems? Two (4 if the seldom used ones are counted) desktops, two laptops all running Mint.

Otherwise it is Shed IT support for other users, generally installing Mint on their computers or showing the little fiddles that can make it go better.
LOL, not quite 90, she is still under 60 (for now)!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 am
RollyShed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 pm......so my presumption is your wife is nearly 90 years old?
Arrh, kids these days don't think for themselves...... :(

I'm dealing with grown-ups, adults. :lol:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:12 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:37 am
RollyShed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:39 pm......so my presumption is your wife is nearly 90 years old?
Arrh, kids these days don't think for themselves...... :(

I'm dealing with grown-ups, adults. :lol:
The Spouse-Unit, otherwise known as "She who must be obeyed", HATES change, and once she gets comfortable with things, she HATES to change (probably why she has kept me around for 31 years). She despised Windows 10, but did the same when I upgraded her from XP to Windows 7. It takes her a year or two to get comfortable with something. My youngest daughter (fashionista) is the opposite of technically inclined. She has tech, but other than her iPhone, hates it. But she has the LATEST iPhone! Paid for it herself. Fridays or Saturdays are update days for me, I update everyone's computer.
Last edited by MurphCID on Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 pm
Ha! smart lady. But do you have a 'headache' get out clause :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Mick-Cork wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:20 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:04 pm
Ha! smart lady. But do you have a 'headache' get out clause :)
Sadly, no.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I used to be tech support for my tribe, however, I taught them to learn for themselves. Time they hit high school, the teachers were asking them to support them. Now they are way ahead of anything I ever learnt. Heck one of them now works for the Uni that he attended and dropped out of because he was bored whilst doing two degrees simultaneously. (Yes he was passing comfortably - just got bored)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”