Daddy tech support

Chat about just about anything else
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Daddy tech support

Post by Barbados99 »

I help my daughter sometimes if she has a problem but she is grown up now and on her own (lives in a different city now). My son is tech savvy so no worries with him. Poor kid grew up with me for a geek dad and knew Linux from an early age. He used to watch me build our computers at home. In 2nd grade for "show-and-tell" he dragged a bunch of my old computer parts out from the parts scrap pile, took them to school, and told the second graders how to build a computer. LOL, that teacher thought he was a gifted kid. But he was just a kid who grew up with a weird dad. He just thought it was normal to build your own computers and use Linux. He's all grown up now and lives in another state. He's in a Ph.D. program there and has access to a supercomputer that runs Linux. I'm envious... hmmmm, I wonder if you can build one of those buggers :-)
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Daaaaaaaaaaaad! My computer is broken! I go down and Microsoft has installed an update and wants her to log in with a microsoft account and has locked things up until she does. !($!@()&!! Microsoft.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:11 pm
Daaaaaaaaaaaad! My computer is broken! I go down and Microsoft has installed an update and wants her to log in with a microsoft account and has locked things up until she does. !($!@()&!! Microsoft.
I've had the occasional problem with Mint. But I'll bet you I've had Microsoft updates break my computers 50+ times for every 1 Mint problem I've had over the years. I'd get so angry. I still help my daughter when her Windows breaks, but I dread it every time I have to deal with that half-baked crap from Microsoft. On my own computers I don't have it on any of them. I don't want it on my machines... not even in a dual-boot setup. It felt so incredibly good when I nuked my last installation that had it. I was free at last.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

MurphCID wrote:
I refused to login and create a Microsoft account, it finally relented and let me set a Pin #

done, now it works just fine on a spare laptop I wanted to have to practice my "Daddy help!!!" problems.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 pm
MurphCID wrote:
I refused to login and create a Microsoft account, it finally relented and let me set a Pin #

done, now it works just fine on a spare laptop I wanted to have to practice my "Daddy help!!!" problems.

The new update demand it unless you see the really small skip button on the bottom left.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 pm
The new update demand it unless you see the really small skip button on the bottom left.
that is the answer .. or be off-line, when starting up the machine .. can often work, too.
https://au.pcmag.com/windows-xp/63776/h ... al-account
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Pierre wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 pm
MurphCID wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 pm
that is the answer .. or be off-line, when starting up the machine .. can often work, too.
https://au.pcmag.com/windows-xp/63776/h ... al-account
:)
Thanks. They are always on line, because they live online Grrrrr. I told them if they see that screen ever again, call me, or look on the bottom and click skip.
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatso »

Dude, I absolutely LOVE your post! I'm right there with ya. Except that, over the last 20+ years, it seems the word has spread, and I've been tech support for everybody & their dog (and their dog's friends). Same old song, I know. The great thing for me, at least, is that I convinced my wife to try linux (she's as un-tech-savvy as they come), and she loves it. The only question she's ever asked me is "What's my password again?"...and even that was only once. My 11 year old son was having nothing but problems with Win10 for a long time. The only blocker with switching him over was a game called Roblox (which apparently can't be run on linux, even in a VM), but that turned out to be a simple hurdle to conquer...just use VMware instead of Virtualbox. He's been using Mint for several months now, and is thrilled with it (he says with eyes wide: "Dad! It's so fast, and everything works all the time!"). That just leaves my 16 year old son, who simply refuses to even look at linux....so I told him "Yer on yer own, then." Odd thing: he suddenly he has an interest in learning the tech side of things, and Dad ain't so stupid after all. LMAO

As for everyone else, I still help, but I go the extra 10 miles and set things up properly optimized and fully backed up. Everybody gets a USB stick with drivers and a backup. Makes my life so much easier down the road. And yes, #@!%*&^ is a standard reply to those never-ending complaints/bonehead questions. After all, ya gotta speak the lingo! :lol:
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah, I am doing Sunday updates on all the computers. My daughter let the little HP go dead, so after getting some power on it, I did the BIOS update, and am updating to 2004. A pain. Plus it looks like the Mint servers are down, because I cannot update Themes, and d/l the latest Firefox. We all have our tech support to bear, but at least this way I have less: "Daaaaaaddddddyyyyy! Help! or Hooooonnnnneeeeyyyy! Help!"
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

OMG! I HATE MICROSOFT! Just when I get everything good and stable, wife and kid proof, they come along and drop an update that$^%$^%#$#! things up! Why must they do that, I spent my valuable gaming and me time fixing all their computers this last weekend, and the last couple of days. Why can they not have an LTS release?!
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatso »

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:06 pm
OMG! I HATE MICROSOFT! Just when I get everything good and stable, wife and kid proof, they come along and drop an update that$^%$^%#$#! things up! Why must they do that, I spent my valuable gaming and me time fixing all their computers this last weekend, and the last couple of days. Why can they not have an LTS release?!
You answered your own question....because they're Microcrap (substitute "crap" for a more colorful term), and that be just the s**t what they like! :roll: :shock:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

fatso wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 pm
...substitute "crap" for a more colorful term...
Uh...blue?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

MurphCID wrote:
SIMPLE FIX FOR THAT.

right click on the ISP connection, go to Properties, and mark it as Metered / Low Bandwidth / Cost Prohibitive.
that has stopped two Win10 PCs here from updating for the last 18 months.
I don't want anything to do with their so-called improvements, they are all a bunch of crap.

My Win7 Desktop has not received a Single update since the day that Win8.1 was offered.
I stopped that dead cold by turning OFF Update Search.
that PC has been spinning the little platter around the Merry go round, 24/7/365 since July 2008, and it has not had one piece of vermin infiltrate it..... nor has it ever experienced a Blue Screen from an update.

Metered Connection.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatso »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 pm
fatso wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:05 pm
...substitute "crap" for a more colorful term...
Uh...blue?
Nope. Brown. LOL
fatso
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fatso »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:54 am
SIMPLE FIX FOR THAT.
right click on the ISP connection, go to Properties, and mark it as Metered / Low Bandwidth / Cost Prohibitive.
Unless I'm mistaken, while that works, it leaves the update service running. If so, then it makes sense to terminate that service and free up the system resources it uses. I've tried the tips in the link below and can verify that those steps DOES successfully kill the updates service (just disabling it in the services window does not work, as it will get re-enabled automatically...thanks for that, Microcrap!).

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/ho ... pdate.html
Last edited by fatso on Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote:
MurphCID wrote:
SIMPLE FIX FOR THAT.

I don't want anything to do with their so-called improvements, they are all a bunch of crap.

My Win7 Desktop has not received a Single update since the day that Win8.1 was offered.
I stopped that dead cold by turning OFF Update Search.
that PC has been spinning the little platter around the Merry go round, 24/7/365 since July 2008, and it has not had one piece of vermin infiltrate it..... nor has it ever experienced a Blue Screen from an update.

Metered Connection.png
Thanks. *!$*@^!! Microsoft.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

AZgl1500 wrote:
SIMPLE FIX FOR THAT.
you can do that, and it will work,
but:
you also then need to be more aware, of Manually Updating the System .. yourself.

the latest M$ policy, is that any PC is out-of-date if the Windows System,
is more than 18 months old .. that's Three of their six monthly cycles.
- - thus you should, manually update their system, yourself .. at that Point in their cycle.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open chat”