Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Chat about just about anything else
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am

Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

I used to be on Facebook and Twitter, as well as sites based on the Mastodon and Diaspora software, and while I did get to communicate with people I knew personally and people I didn't, and got to meet like-minded people in various groups, I ended up deleting my accounts on them because I often found myself getting addicted to them, getting sucked into political arguments, and the controversies going on behind the scenes at Facebook and Twitter. Now I've made the decision to only use Mastodon and Diaspora sites, as well as other platforms on the Fediverse (federated social media platforms), to showcase my videos and artwork so I don't get trapped into those problems again. What's your opinion on social media? Also, for anyone who's used platforms on the Fediverse, what's your opinion of the Fediverse as a whole?
User avatar
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3376
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Portreve »

Image
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11935
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Moem »

It can be either, or both, depending on the user.
There: [SOLVED] :wink:
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
User avatar
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2560
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by antikythera »

Whatsapp and Zoom have been useful during the Pandemic but I usually avoid social media.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
User avatar
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3541
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by lsemmens »

I've found faceache useful for keeping up with friends and family all across the world. Like any other medium (forums included) it all depends upon the use you put it to and your discipline. I generally spend more time here, than I do on Facebook, so, to me, Linux Mint Forums are a huge "time waster" IYKWIM.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
User avatar
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5282
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 am
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
Contact:

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by AZgl1500 »

I refused to use Facebook forever it seems, until my friends on my motorcycle forums just disappeared :oops:

Then I finally got an account on FB, and at first was barraged by young ladies' avatars w/o any clothing begging to be my friend....

then I finally learned how to fix the Settings so that ONLY my friends, or a friend of a friend are allowed to Message me.
that helped a lot.

then the political rants and abuses got bad...... so I started using the Block Command to prevent them from seeing me, or me them.

life is better now, but the amount of "new posts" has been severely strangled.
not much goes on everyday, without me just seeing a complete repeat of what I did six hours ago.

I would delete my account, but then my friends ( are they really friends, or just an acquaintance? ) would be gone from my life.

I refuse to use Twitter
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6788
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:57 am
It can be either, or both, depending on the user.
There: [SOLVED] :wink:
Jeez, you seriously beat me to that.
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 am
Whatsapp and Zoom have been useful during the Pandemic but I usually avoid social media.
After the PLANdemic is finally over with, I imagine Zoom will eventually die off with it. Because of the security, privacy, and encryption concerns, I never trusted it to begin with.
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 am
I refused to use Facebook forever it seems, until my friends on my motorcycle forums just disappeared :oops:

Then I finally got an account on FB, and at first was barraged by young ladies' avatars w/o any clothing begging to be my friend....

then I finally learned how to fix the Settings so that ONLY my friends, or a friend of a friend are allowed to Message me.
that helped a lot.

then the political rants and abuses got bad...... so I started using the Block Command to prevent them from seeing me, or me them.

life is better now, but the amount of "new posts" has been severely strangled.
not much goes on everyday, without me just seeing a complete repeat of what I did six hours ago.

I would delete my account, but then my friends ( are they really friends, or just an acquaintance? ) would be gone from my life.

I refuse to use Twitter
I also use Jami, which is a FOSS and encrypted alternative to Skype. Thankfully there's nothing encouraging me to waste time on it because it's just me and my friends talking. Encourage your "friends" (as you called them) to use it as well, and if they don't, then that's their problem.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6788
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Hoser Rob »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 am
antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 am
Whatsapp and Zoom have been useful during the Pandemic but I usually avoid social media.
After the PLANdemic is finally over with, I imagine Zoom will eventually die off with it. Because of the security, privacy, and encryption concerns, I never trusted it to begin with.
In a world where Chrome has almost 2/3 of the whole browser market do you seriously believe that?
User avatar
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3376
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:57 am
It can be either, or both, depending on the user.
There: [SOLVED] :wink:
Such profundity, Moem. It's no wonder why you make the big bucks here. :lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
User avatar
Moem
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11935
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:47 pm
Such profundity, Moem. It's no wonder why you make the big bucks here. :lol:
🎶I like big bucks, and I cannot lie.🎶

Image
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
User avatar
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3376
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Florida

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Portreve »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:41 am
Then I finally got an account on FB, and at first was barraged by young ladies' avatars w/o any clothing begging to be my friend....

then I finally learned how to fix the Settings so that ONLY my friends, or a friend of a friend are allowed to Message me.
that helped a lot.

then the political rants and abuses got bad...... so I started using the Block Command to prevent them from seeing me, or me them.
I opened a Facebook account back before all this hyper-partisan political BS started, andi sincerely enjoyed it for a long time. I made a number of friends, three of whom I am in contact with to this day. However, in hindsight, the troubles, whenever it was that they truly began, started to become noticeable during the 2008 U.S. election cycle, and they have grown worse ever since. By 2014, I (naïvely) thought I could handle it and solve the problem through eliminating people from my friend community. I staged a post and discussion in which people I'd known and worked with and even called "friend" in real life publicly (in my view) embarrassed themselves through spouting right-wing extremist talking point nonsense (where logic and some degree of human compassion would have been appropriate) and after I let my overall community of friends expertly take them down (not that I would give them credit for realizing they truly embarrassed themselves) I got rid of them. In about four hours' time, I de-friended and blocked something like 15 people.

For a time, this seemed to make a difference. However, everything on FB became about politics or religion, and so I realized it was no longer worth it. I kept it through the 2017 hurricane season, and then towards the end of that year I closed it out.

I also had a Twitter account, but where at least with FB there were some discussions and areas that didn't always include politics, the same could not be said about Twitter, so I shuttered that about a year later.

However, I managed to anger British actress Nicola Bryant, who personally accused me of being the reason Peter Davison (who portrayed the Fifth Doctor in Dr. Who) decided to leave Twitter (I think I responded to maybe like two or three of his tweets way back when) and this took me by surprise because I like the guy and actually agreed with the comments he made; and I was blocked by Claudia Christian (who played Lt. Cdr. Susan Ivanovna on Babylon 5) and to this day I really can't figure out what it was I said which upset her. I also happen to have a lot of respect for her because of what she's done to turn her life around and truly reach out and help others after she was forced to deal with becoming an alcoholic. (If you've ever heard of something called the "Sinclair Method", she's been one of their leading champions and arguably their chief promoter and cheerleader.)

I have a feeling in both cases I was mistaken for other folks who really are idiots and trolls. They have (or at the time had) very active feeds, so it wouldn't surprise me if they thought I was someone else. I'm still not angry about it.

I decided I would not create any other social media accounts, and I still feel I'm far better off without any of that garbage in my life.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2118
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:36 pm
Location: San Diego, California, USA

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by ajgringo619 »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:26 pm
I decided I would not create any other social media accounts, and I still feel I'm far better off without any of that garbage in my life.
You made a great decision. The only thing close to a social media account I ever had was on Reddit, which has become an absolute cesspool of hate.

You wonder what you said that may have hurt the other party. It was probably something taken completely out of context, or misconstrued as something it was never intended. You can use all the emojis you want and someone will still find a reason to hate it, take it personally. This is what happens when people spend all day trying to find something to be offended by.
Mint 20 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-54-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [Folding]
GTX 1050Ti w/4GB RAM [Nvidia v455.38]
Image
User avatar
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2560
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by antikythera »

The only reason I used Whatsapp and Zoom was because I had too. A family member's health deterioration partly due to contracting COVID-19 in hospital and ongoing care lead to discussions over these with family members and medical professionals.

Otherwise I stay off all social media.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 am
SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 am
antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:27 am
Whatsapp and Zoom have been useful during the Pandemic but I usually avoid social media.
After the PLANdemic is finally over with, I imagine Zoom will eventually die off with it. Because of the security, privacy, and encryption concerns, I never trusted it to begin with.
In a world where Chrome has almost 2/3 of the whole browser market do you seriously believe that?
Considering all of the controversies Google's been involved with, show all of them to enough people, and they'll gradually phase out Chrome, and the rest of Google, over time
User avatar
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9
Posts: 2560
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by antikythera »

Only to be replaced by another data harvesting browser or service. There's no such thing as free internet content these days, user metrics are big business. Every site you load tracks or collects data of some form including this one via ad frames that fund it and google search tie in. So you either have to come to terms with that or stop using the internet. Before you say use adblockers+script blockers (the two are usually combined) and VPN even doing that is not 100% effective. Some VPN services also log usage data and also simply using one in some countries can land you in Jail or facing exportation back home if you are there temporarily for work or a holiday.

https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/vpn-logging-policies/
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
User avatar
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2057
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Schultz »

Not only is social media a waste of time, it also saps the lifeblood of intelligence out of people's brains (sorry for waxing poetic).
SpongebobFan1994
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 am

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 pm
Only to be replaced by another data harvesting browser or service. There's no such thing as free internet content these days, user metrics are big business. Every site you load tracks or collects data of some form including this one via ad frames that fund it and google search tie in. So you either have to come to terms with that or stop using the internet. Before you say use adblockers+script blockers (the two are usually combined) and VPN even doing that is not 100% effective. Some VPN services also log usage data and also simply using one in some countries can land you in Jail or facing exportation back home if you are there temporarily for work or a holiday.

https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/vpn-logging-policies/
That makes me wonder if its possible to create a browser that can act as it's own internet, and have every webpage be P2P to avoid data harvesting? To clarify, I'm not talking about using the Tor Browser to browse the clearnet, I'm talking about setting up an internet that is completely separate from the clearnet
User avatar
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:12 pm

Re: Is Social Media a Useful Form of Communication or Just Another Time-Wasting Fad?

Post by Vladimir00 »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:01 pm
antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 pm
Only to be replaced by another data harvesting browser or service. There's no such thing as free internet content these days, user metrics are big business. Every site you load tracks or collects data of some form including this one via ad frames that fund it and google search tie in. So you either have to come to terms with that or stop using the internet. Before you say use adblockers+script blockers (the two are usually combined) and VPN even doing that is not 100% effective. Some VPN services also log usage data and also simply using one in some countries can land you in Jail or facing exportation back home if you are there temporarily for work or a holiday.

https://www.comparitech.com/vpn/vpn-logging-policies/
That makes me wonder if its possible to create a browser that can act as it's own internet, and have every webpage be P2P to avoid data harvesting? To clarify, I'm not talking about using the Tor Browser to browse the clearnet, I'm talking about setting up an internet that is completely separate from the clearnet
Perhaps it will be interesting to you :D
https://beakerbrowser.com/
I have not tried Beaker Browser.Therefore, I cannot give a lot of useful information about this.
Here is an article about the browser Beaker
https://itsfoss.com/beaker-browser/
Post Reply

Return to “Open chat”