Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by farkas »

Any keyboard available today is a thousand of percent better than a mechanical typewriter. I know, I had to use one to write term papers.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

farkas wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:46 am Any keyboard available today is a thousand of percent better than a mechanical typewriter. I know, I had to use one to write term papers.
So did I, I remember using either an eraser, or correction fluid to fix errors. It was painful.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just discovered that System 76 supports Right To Repair, this is a great thing.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:17 am I just discovered that System 76 supports Right To Repair, this is a great thing.
No, it's not a great thing; it's a fantastic thing!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:41 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:17 am I just discovered that System 76 supports Right To Repair, this is a great thing.
No, it's not a great thing; it's a fantastic thing!
I agree with you 100%.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Still works great even with donut sugar flakes on the keyboard....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

This is a GREAT laptop, and I am so impressed. This laptop has restored my faith in System 76 laptops. Plus it travels well, is light, and has insane battery life.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

In a class, and the battery is at 82% and it shows 21:18 power left! This thing is a beast of power use.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Had an odd one, I was at black rifle after my Dr. visit (all good no cancer, no more issues), and I could not connect to their WiFi, which has never been an issue before. But it was PACKED, and so their WiFi might have been over loaded. It connected right away to my phone hotspot, and the house WiFi. It is still at 42%! I love this laptop. Especially with Mint installed.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well out and about at Black Rifle Coffee with the Lemur Pro. I just installed Mint 20.2 and so far everything is looking good. For once I followed the instructions on how to update the system. TLP seems a little wonky, battery life is fluctuating all over the place. So I went into terminal and told it to "sudo tlp start" and it started. Now do I have to do this everytime I start the system, or will it keep on working? Battery life went from 2 hours, 45 minutes, to six hours, five minutes. Once more this laptop is just perfect for me and my use scenarios. Probably the best laptop I own, and I am so happy the family chipped in and the Spouse-Unit and kids got it for me.

I am maintaining the 5.8 kernel until we get the new LTS one from Mint. What is the new LTS kernel btw? The 5.11 on the Darter seems to have minor issues with the Coreboot firmware. 5.8 just works well, and I have keyboard lights AND WiFi.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Got some looks at Black Rifle Coffee again, was asked "What sort of laptop is that one?" I told them that it was a linux laptop from System 76 since I no longer wanted to be spied on by Microsoft or Apple. She was interested, so I directed her to this forum. I told her that this place was the font of all Linux wisdom, so maybe I made a convert.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Decided to try the 5.11 Kernel. Seems ok, oddly enough it seems to take a slightly longer time to shut down at times than under the 5.8 Kernel (which worked GREAT!). The Lemur Pro really, really wanted a 5.8+ Kernel to work right with the System 76 Coreboot. I LOVE this laptop, probably the most satisfying laptop I have owned in years. I love the size, weight, and battery life. I will admit that the Darter Pro's keyboard is better, much better, but this one is not bad. The 5.11 Kernel while being a short term Kernel (could we get the 5.10 series?) seems to be alright other than the shutdown issue. Unfortunately System 76 is completely out of laptops to sell except for the Gazelle (and I do not need a gaming laptop at all).
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

I also have slow shutdown using the 5.11 kernel.
Not a big deal. Just an annoyance,
Just posted
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356239
Apparently it isn't hardware or vendor specific.
My desktop has a Intel CPU and an Nvidia graphics card running LM Mint 20.2 Shutdown time is about 4 sec.
Laptop with Intel CPU and AMD graphics card shutdown about 30 sec. plus one or minus one sec.
I heard (read) murmurs about AMD hardware and Linux kernel compatibility "improvements".
Whatever that means?
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

farkas wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:47 am I also have slow shutdown using the 5.11 kernel.
Not a big deal. Just an annoyance,
Just posted
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=356239
Apparently it isn't hardware or vendor specific.
My desktop has a Intel CPU and an Nvidia graphics card running LM Mint 20.2 Shutdown time is about 4 sec.
Laptop with Intel CPU and AMD graphics card shutdown about 30 sec. plus one or minus one sec.
I heard (read) murmurs about AMD hardware and Linux kernel compatibility "improvements".
Whatever that means?
I agree it is just an annoyance, not something that makes me want to throw the machine against the wall. I have a 30-45 seconds shutdown time on 5.11.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I wonder what the next LTS Kernel is going to be labeled? Also when will it be released?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I just noticed the reason the Lemur Pro went to 5.11 kernel, is that all the 5.8 kernels are End Of Life, so it had to update to the 5.11 series. Wow.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I love this computer. I just do, it is almost perfect. Almost. I wish it had an ethernet jack, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. I just went to get the Flatpak version of thunderbird since Flatpak has the latest versions right? Well no, they had 78.11 and I have 78.13 installed. I am not in love with Thunderbird, but it works for me, other email clients just don't connect to my webmail accounts for some reason (I suspect it is on my part having security cranked up). I am so glad that the Spouse Unit and the kids got me this laptop. I have an Apple USB-C to Ethernet adapter when I need to plug this thing into the ethernet upstairs in my office. I know the Spouse Unit would love this laptop if not for Linux, her head would spin 360 degrees and explode if I told her it was Linux.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:01 am I love this computer. I just do, it is almost perfect. Almost. I wish it had an ethernet jack, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. I just went to get the Flatpak version of thunderbird since Flatpak has the latest versions right? Well no, they had 78.11 and I have 78.13 installed. I am not in love with Thunderbird, but it works for me, other email clients just don't connect to my webmail accounts for some reason (I suspect it is on my part having security cranked up). I am so glad that the Spouse Unit and the kids got me this laptop. I have an Apple USB-C to Ethernet adapter when I need to plug this thing into the ethernet upstairs in my office. I know the Spouse Unit would love this laptop if not for Linux, her head would spin 360 degrees and explode if I told her it was Linux.
I'm glad you have a computer you love.

It blows my mind that anyone would make a computer without an Ethernet jack nowadays. That's even worse than the usual paucity of USB ports and no ODD. I'm using all six USB ports on my laptop right now. One of the two USB ports on the right side has the mouse dongle plugged into it all the time and the other one has a hub plugged into it that connects my two scanners and the USB DAC to the computer. The four ports on the left side--two USB 3.0 Type A, one USB 3.1 Type C, and one Blunderbolt (sic) port that also serves as a USB 3.1 Type C) currently have four external backup drives connected to them and are in the process of being updated. I can live with no ODD by using an external one but too few USB ports are a game stopper.

Something else that bites my ample asset is many computer manufacturers have replaced the SD card reader with MicroSD readers. I can use a MicroSD card in an SD card reader by using an adapter that looks identical to an SD card and fits into an SD card reader. If all I had were microSD cards, I could just stick the adapter in the reader and leave it there.

The opposite is not true with MicroSD card readers. To use an SD card, I would have to use an adapter that would occupy one of my precious USB ports. The only cards I use are SD cards for my two cameras and, while I could use SD to MicroSD card adapters in the cameras, it would just grind my gears (and lighten my pocketbook) to have to replace my perfectly good SD cards.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:18 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:01 am I love this computer. I just do, it is almost perfect. Almost. I wish it had an ethernet jack, but beggers can't be choosers I guess. I just went to get the Flatpak version of thunderbird since Flatpak has the latest versions right? Well no, they had 78.11 and I have 78.13 installed. I am not in love with Thunderbird, but it works for me, other email clients just don't connect to my webmail accounts for some reason (I suspect it is on my part having security cranked up). I am so glad that the Spouse Unit and the kids got me this laptop. I have an Apple USB-C to Ethernet adapter when I need to plug this thing into the ethernet upstairs in my office. I know the Spouse Unit would love this laptop if not for Linux, her head would spin 360 degrees and explode if I told her it was Linux.

It blows my mind that anyone would make a computer without an Ethernet jack, though. That's even worse than the usual paucity of USB ports and no ODD. I'm using all six USB ports on my laptop right now. One of the two USB ports on the right side has the mouse dongle plugged into it all the time and the other one has a hub plugged into it that connects my two scanners and the USB DAC to the computer. The four ports on the left side--two USB 3.0 Type A, one USB 3.1 Type C, and one Blunderbolt (sic) port that also serves as a USB 3.1 Type C) currently have four external backup drives connected to them and are in the process of being updated. I can live with no ODD by using an external one but too few USB ports are a game stopper.
That is my desktop system, I have no USB ports left. If I had a system with 20 USB ports I would probably use them.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:25 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:18 am

It blows my mind that anyone would make a computer without an Ethernet jack, though. That's even worse than the usual paucity of USB ports and no ODD. I'm using all six USB ports on my laptop right now. One of the two USB ports on the right side has the mouse dongle plugged into it all the time and the other one has a hub plugged into it that connects my two scanners and the USB DAC to the computer. The four ports on the left side--two USB 3.0 Type A, one USB 3.1 Type C, and one Blunderbolt (sic) port that also serves as a USB 3.1 Type C) currently have four external backup drives connected to them and are in the process of being updated. I can live with no ODD by using an external one but too few USB ports are a game stopper.
That is my desktop system, I have no USB ports left. If I had a system with 20 USB ports I would probably use them.
USB hubs can be the answer for a desktop machine, especially for devices that aren't in use all the time (I've used them in the past to create more ports, relocate them to more convenient locations, and reduce the number of cables connected to the machine). The only reason I accept using a hub to connect my scanners and DAC to my laptop is they stay at home when the laptop travels so I can stick it out of my way. If I had to travel with a hub, it would create a space wasting cable jungle and would be more hassle for me to have to fool around with.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”