Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by MurphCID »

Let us try this:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The new kid, for some reason I cannot get it to rotate properly. I tried in GIMP, and drawing. I did it in Photoshop with no issues. Thanks, I will now go experiment with GIMP.
Last edited by MurphCID on Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 am The new kid, for some reason I cannot get it to rotate properly. I tried in GIMP, and drawing.
I haven't had the problem in Mint (yet) but, back in the bad old days of Windows, I got around the problem of forum software rotating an image by using a graphics program to over-rotate the image, such as 180° instead of 90° so, when the forum software would rotate the image, it would end up back in the correct orientation.

Another kludge is to take the picture in the normal orientation of the camera, then use a simple image editing program to crop out the unwanted parts of the image rather than simply rotating the image. Pix would be a good program for that. It's quick and easy to use for limited image editing.

It's curious that you are having the problem, though. I've taken photos with my little purse camera in portrait orientation, rotated them with Pix, then posted them here without the forum software restoring the original orientation. Mayhap if you gave Pix a try...?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:41 am The new kid, for some reason I cannot get it to rotate properly. I tried in GIMP, and drawing.
I haven't had the problem in Mint (yet) but, back in the bad old days of Windows, I got around the problem of forum software rotating an image by using a graphics program to over-rotate the image, such as 180° instead of 90° so, when the forum software would rotate the image, it would end up back in the correct orientation.

Another kludge is to take the picture in the normal orientation of the camera, then use a simple image editing program to crop out the unwanted parts of the image rather than simply rotating the image. Pix would be a good program for that. It's quick and easy to use for limited image editing.

It's curious that you are having the problem, though. I've taken photos with my little purse camera in portrait orientation, rotated them with Pix, then posted them here without the forum software restoring the original orientation. Mayhap if you gave Pix a try...?
I edited the first one with no issues and it imported just fine. The second one, GIMP required me to "EXPORT" with no import menu link. Totally odd. I never have that issue with Photoshop, so what I might do is edit in photoshop, convert to jpg, transfer to flash drive, put on laptop and then upload. I tried Pix and it did not work right, odd that. Plus GIMP wants to save as its own format instead of .jpg. No clue.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 am

I edited the first one with no issues and it imported just fine. The second one, GIMP required me to "EXPORT" with no import menu link. Totally odd. I never have that issue with Photoshop, so what I might do is edit in photoshop, convert to jpg, transfer to flash drive, put on laptop and then upload. I tried Pix and it did not work right, odd that. Plus GIMP wants to save as its own format instead of .jpg. No clue.
GIMP is a program that I use every single day, but it took me a while to understand it. I was a Photoshop user in the Windows days but was determined to find a replacement in the Linux world. I just couldn't afford Adobe products anymore... I am retired and on a limited budget. I do like GIMP now and have learned to live with its oddities. It does have amazing power and usefulness (for me anyway). Maybe for your photo you need to rotate it in GIMP and then export it? If that doesn't work then perhaps try the workaround that Lady Fitzgerald uses (the over rotation). In my own experience with GIMP I've found that the more time I invest in learning it, the more I like it. But for me I thought it had a bit of a learning curve I had to climb. Well worth it though in my case.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Make GIMP act more like Photoshop:
https://github.com/Diolinux/PhotoGIMP
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

antikythera wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:11 am Make GIMP act more like Photoshop:
https://github.com/Diolinux/PhotoGIMP
Thank you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Barbados99 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:39 am

GIMP is a program that I use every single day, but it took me a while to understand it. I was a Photoshop user in the Windows days but was determined to find a replacement in the Linux world. I just couldn't afford Adobe products anymore... I am retired and on a limited budget. I do like GIMP now and have learned to live with its oddities. It does have amazing power and usefulness (for me anyway). Maybe for your photo you need to rotate it in GIMP and then export it? If that doesn't work then perhaps try the workaround that Lady Fitzgerald uses (the over rotation). In my own experience with GIMP I've found that the more time I invest in learning it, the more I like it. But for me I thought it had a bit of a learning curve I had to climb. Well worth it though in my case.
Thanks. I have a VERY old version of photoshop (CS 4), and it works for me. I need to play around with GIMP though.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

59% and it shows 10 hours left!!!!! Plus the stickers make it run faster/better....
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm 59% and it shows 10 hours left!!!!! Plus the stickers make it run faster/better....
I think Clem & the Mint Team should include this vital piece of information in the release notes for Mint users. I am wondering if I should upgrade my motherboard and CPU, or invest in more stickers... hmmm
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:14 pm 59% and it shows 10 hours left!!!!! Plus the stickers make it run faster/better....
Well, shucky darn! I must have used the wrong stickers. :(
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:25 pm
Well gosh, the right stickers give you at least 100 extra megahertz, and I am sure that it squeezes some extra ram in there somewhere....:)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:18 am
Well gosh, the right stickers give you at least 100 extra megahertz, and I am sure that it squeezes some extra ram in there somewhere....:)
Actually, to get extra RAM, you have to download it.
Jeannie

Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:35 am

It is amazing what they can do now... I just gave my credit card info over the phone to a nice fella who called to offer Windows support, but when I told him I was running Linux he said no worries. He sold some RAM cheap... saying I can download my RAM order later today (he's gonna call back to let me know when). He said it's for any OS, Linux included. Isn't technology amazing :-)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Barbados99 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 pm

It is amazing what they can do now... I just gave my credit card info over the phone to a nice fella who called to offer Windows support, but when I told him I was running Linux he said no worries. He sold some RAM cheap... saying I can download my RAM order later today (he's gonna call back to let me know when). He said it's for any OS, Linux included. Isn't technology amazing :-)
You can download your RAM from https://downloadmoreram.com/
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:53 pm
Barbados99 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 pm

You can download your RAM from https://downloadmoreram.com/
ROTFLMAO!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yep great usage of rickrolling too ;)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The battery is insane! 49% and still showing 6 hours! Keyboard is a little more cramped than the Darter Pro, and it does not have as much key travel, but still nice. The Darter Pro still has one of the better keyboards I have ever used. IMO the key travel and tactile feels reminds me of HP Envy or Spectre laptops.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I FINALLY had to charge it after keeping it up all day at work playing music. The more I use this laptop the more I like it. The keyboard is ok, again its like an HP Envy or Spectre or the pre-F'ed up Mac keyboard. Mint on this thing is a beautiful experience.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:00 pm The battery is insane! 49% and still showing 6 hours! Keyboard is a little more cramped than the Darter Pro, and it does not have as much key travel, but still nice. The Darter Pro still has one of the better keyboards I have ever used. IMO the key travel and tactile feels reminds me of HP Envy or Spectre laptops.
Having a good keyboard is a huge part of the computer experience for me personally. I am so picky about the keyboard that it is a deal-breaker for me if the keyboard falls below what I find acceptable for my heavy daily use. I realize the keyboard feel is subjective and what one person likes another may not like. I prefer Thinkpad keyboards on my laptops... they just feel right to me. On my desktop I have a Filco Majestouch-2 that I like. The Filco was expensive but I spend hours a day, every day, using the keyboard, and if it sucks, then that just drives me crazy. LOL, yes, I'm a keyboard-zealot :-)

Return to “Open Chat”