Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by CarrotCake »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pm The only quibble is I have to manually turn off bluetooth each time I boot up.
I had the same wish, and for that I have added the following command to the startup options and that works flawlessly (running Mint 20.1 Cinnamon):

Code: Select all

rfkill block bluetooth
I set it with a delay of 20 sec, so at first after booting, the icon is white, and after the wait it turns off and the icon goes to grey to confirm.
It does seem to help in battery usage in my case - but for you that's probably not the reason you do it :lol:
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

CarrotCake wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pm The only quibble is I have to manually turn off bluetooth each time I boot up.
I had the same wish, and for that I have added the following command to the startup options and that works flawlessly (running Mint 20.1 Cinnamon):

rfkill block bluetooth
I set it with a delay of 20 sec, so at first after booting, the icon is white, and after the wait it turns off and the icon goes to grey to confirm.
It does seem to help in battery usage in my case - but for you that's probably not the reason you do it :lol:
Curious. All I had to do was click on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then click on "switch" in the upper left corner of the pop-up to disable it. It stays disabled every time I boot up.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am
CarrotCake wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:46 am

rfkill block bluetooth
Curious. All I had to do was click on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then click on "switch" in the upper left corner of the pop-up to disable it. It stays disabled every time I boot up.
Let me see if I can try that. I have no switch, I have a turn off button, but it keeps coming back each time I start the laptop. Now on the Darter Pro, it does not but I did a clean installation of Mint after my various experiments. Perhaps that is what I need to do?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am re-installing Mint from the flash drive, so we shall see. Hopefully it is something related to the upgrade since Bluetooth has remained off since I re-installed Mint on the Darter Pro. So perhaps it might work.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am Curious. All I had to do was click on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then click on "switch" in the upper left corner of the pop-up to disable it. It stays disabled every time I boot up.
That would be more logical... but in my machine it is on after every boot, hence the rfkill.
Maybe dependent on the BT chip??
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Did not work. But I managed to get my software re-installed, along with all my music, documents, photos, etc. I managed to get my desktop re-installed the way I had it. The great thing about Linux is that it does not take hours to re-install unlike M$ Windows. Re-installed TLP, and with some tweaking, again great battery life.
Last edited by MurphCID on Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

CarrotCake wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:40 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:11 am Curious. All I had to do was click on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then click on "switch" in the upper left corner of the pop-up to disable it. It stays disabled every time I boot up.
That would be more logical... but in my machine it is on after every boot, hence the rfkill.
Maybe dependent on the BT chip??
Good point, and especially since System 76 has their own firmware could be an issue.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Apparently, I should have add YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) at the end of my post.

My machine is also a System 76. I ordered it with Ubuntu installed but almost immediately removed the Samsung 970 EVO Plus it came with and did a clean install of Linux Mint 19.1 on it (it now has 19.3). I also installed System 76's driver package on it after installing Mint. Apparently, this was before System 76 adopted Core Boot (sometimes, I get lucky, considering the complaints I've seen about Core Boot).

This is the pop-up window I get when I click on the BT icon in the panel:

BT.jpg
Note that the switch in the upper left corner of the window is grayed out, indicating that it is switched off. I can switch on and that setting will be retained through multiple reboots, then switch it off again and that setting will also be retained.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:52 pm Apparently, I should have add YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) at the end of my post.

My machine is also a System 76. I ordered it with Ubuntu installed but almost immediately removed the Samsung 970 EVO Plus it came with and did a clean install of Linux Mint 19.1 on it (it now has 19.3). I also installed System 76's driver package on it after installing Mint. Apparently, this was before System 76 adopted Core Boot (sometimes, I get lucky, considering the complaints I've seen about Core Boot).

This is the pop-up window I get when I click on the BT icon in the panel:

BT.jpg

Note that the switch in the upper left corner of the window is grayed out, indicating that it is switched off. I can switch on and that setting will be retained through multiple reboots, then switch it off again and that setting will also be retained.
Same, but it keeps coming back. Oh well.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:18 pm Same, but it keeps coming back. Oh well.
So, the rfkill block bluetooth command doesn't turn it off?
If you don't use BT at all, can't you disable the hardware entry somewhere?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

CarrotCake wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:15 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:18 pm Same, but it keeps coming back. Oh well.
So, the rfkill block bluetooth command doesn't turn it off?
If you don't use BT at all, can't you disable the hardware entry somewhere?
With their coreboot bios I am afraid to try at this point due to problems I had with the Darter Pro. So I will just live with this little quirk.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Urg, now I need to spend more time getting the system back where I need it to be. Ugh I hate re-installs, but it is my own fault. But many thanks to this site, and to this one: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html for making my life much, much easier.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Back up and running. Took too long but life got in the way. Life has a pesky way of doing that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

"Dad, can I borrow the little linux computer?"

Me: Why?

Daughter: "Well it weighs less than my laptop, and I need to go to [Insert overpriced and disgusting coffee place here] to do homework?"

Me: Why?

Daughter: I just told you.

Me: No.

Daughter: "Daddy you are just so unfair!"

Me: Use the little Windows machine. (Extra laptop, formerly my Linux machine, now an emergency spare- 13.3" HP Spectre x360- from 2018)

Daughter: "I can't, the battery is dead, and I don't want to take the time to charge it."

Me: Suffer.

Daughter: [Flounces off in a huff] "Fine! I'll take the little one and hope they have a plug I can use! It is going to make it hard for me to do homework!"

Me: Too bad. BTW what is wrong with your other [stupidly expensive] laptop (HP Spectre x360 15.6)?

Daughter: "Battery is dead, I forgot to charge it. (Her iPad was also dead, so she borrowed mine).

Me: Well, looks like you have a problem.

Daughter: "You are just so unfair! MOM! Dad won't let me use his laptop to do homework!"

Spouse-Unit: "Why can't she use your laptop?"

Me: Because she has two perfectly fine laptops, and mine runs linux!

Spouse-Unit: Here, take my laptop.

Daughter: "OMG Mom! Yours is OLD!"

Both: Suffer, or take a power cord.

Daughter: "Fine!" Leaves to do homework while swilling over priced garbage drinks.

They profess to hate my System 76 machines, but want to use it for the "cool" factor. Plus the insane battery life (They never charge it, and bring it back dead).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:26 am "...They profess to hate my System 76 machines, but want to use it for the "cool" factor. Plus the insane battery life (They never charge it, and bring it back dead).
I hope you bought a spare battery for your machine. Letting a Li-ION frequently go completely dead shortens its life considerably.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I never let it go below 20% if I can help it.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:30 am
I hope you bought a spare battery for your machine. Letting a Li-ION frequently go completely dead shortens its life considerably.
It's almost impossible to completely drain a modern lithium ion battery without intentionally shorting out pins.
Batteries and devices have built-in protection against that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Plus the Lemur Pro has an internal battery, so they don't sell extras. I have had to tell the kids to leave it alone, plus I changed the password so they don't know what it is which has annoyed the youngest. I left the password the same on the Darter Pro, because I don't care if they use that one since I have sterilized it, and all my documents are on an external SSD.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

At Black Rifle Coffee and the laptop is getting noticed. I am using the opportunity to evangelize Linux Mint. I realized later on that the Darter Pro keyboard is much better than the Lemur Pro's keyboard. I just like the little Lemur so much better, but I type better on the larger laptop. I have two snoring dogs keeping me company right now.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Why is it that some keyboards are just so much better than others? While this one is good, it is not nearly as good as that of the Darter Pro.

Return to “Open Chat”