Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:37 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:25 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:18 am

I'm glad you have a computer you love.

It blows my mind that anyone would make a computer without an Ethernet jack, though. That's even worse than the usual paucity of USB ports and no ODD. I'm using all six USB ports on my laptop right now. One of the two USB ports on the right side has the mouse dongle plugged into it all the time and the other one has a hub plugged into it that connects my two scanners and the USB DAC to the computer. The four ports on the left side--two USB 3.0 Type A, one USB 3.1 Type C, and one Blunderbolt (sic) port that also serves as a USB 3.1 Type C) currently have four external backup drives connected to them and are in the process of being updated. I can live with no ODD by using an external one but too few USB ports are a game stopper.
That is my desktop system, I have no USB ports left. If I had a system with 20 USB ports I would probably use them.
USB hubs can be the answer for a desktop machine, especially for devices that aren't in use all the time (I've used them in the past to create more ports, relocate them to more convenient locations, and reduce the number of cables connected to the machine). The only reason I accept using a hub to connect my scanners and DAC to my laptop is they stay at home when the laptop travels so I can stick it out of my way. If I had to travel with a hub, it would create a space wasting cable jungle and would be more hassle for me to have to fool around with.
No kidding, I feel your pain on the cable jungle. I am going to add a SATA USB hub to my desktop at some point.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:39 am
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:25 am

That is my desktop system, I have no USB ports left. If I had a system with 20 USB ports I would probably use them.
USB hubs can be the answer for a desktop machine, especially for devices that aren't in use all the time (I've used them in the past to create more ports, relocate them to more convenient locations, and reduce the number of cables connected to the machine). The only reason I accept using a hub to connect my scanners and DAC to my laptop is they stay at home when the laptop travels so I can stick it out of my way. If I had to travel with a hub, it would create a space wasting cable jungle and would be more hassle for me to have to fool around with.
No kidding, I feel your pain on the cable jungle. I am going to add a SATA USB hub to my desktop at some point.
SATA USB hub? You mean an external dock (my mind is still fuzzy this morning)?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:43 am

No its a card that fits into a slot inside the computer. They are powered that way.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

THE BATTERY LIFE ON THIS THING IS INSANE!!!!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:44 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:43 am

No its a card that fits into a slot inside the computer. They are powered that way.
OK, I get it now. Be careful when shopping for those. The vast majority use only one PCIe lane and all the USB ports on the hub have to share the same bandwidth which can cause throttling when more than one USB device is running at the same time. Manufacturers should be prosecuted for fraud for coming up with abominations that have umpteen USB ports running of a single PCIe lane. :evil:

The two right side USB ports on my laptop share the same bandwidth (and I assume the two Type A ports on the left side also share power and bandwidth; it was so nice of System 76 to point that out in their stats, said Jeannie sarcastically :x ). I found that out the hard way when I tried to connect an Ethernet to USB adapter and my DAC to one port through a hub and my mouse dongle to the other port and the range of the mouse dropped to four inches :roll: .
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am THE BATTERY LIFE ON THIS THING IS INSANE!!!!
The battery life on my laptop is also insane, only in the opposite way. I'm lucky to get only 1 1/2 hour on a good day. The battery is essentially a UPS that gives me time to safely shut down if the power goes out.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:03 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am THE BATTERY LIFE ON THIS THING IS INSANE!!!!
The battery life on my laptop is also insane, only in the opposite way. I'm lucky to get only 1 1/2 hour on a good day. The battery is essentially a UPS that gives me time to safely shut down if the power goes out.
That is truly terrible, I just cannot understand in this day and age putting small batteries in laptops. If they can put a 73 watt/hour battery in the lemur pro, why can’t the put one in their other laptops. I mean the battery life indicator is showing 38% and over eight hours of usage still left! That is nuts and I’m surfing the net with lots of tabs open, Libre office open and I still have eight hours predicted battery life. That is completely amazing!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:23 pm
That is truly terrible, I just cannot understand in this day and age putting small batteries in laptops. If they can put a 73 watt/hour battery in the lemur pro, why can’t the put one in their other laptops. I mean the battery life indicator is showing 38% and over eight hours of usage still left! That is nuts and I’m surfing the net with lots of tabs open, Libre office open and I still have eight hours predicted battery life. That is completely amazing!
The problem with mine is both the battery size--82WH--and being a power thirsty energy hog.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:41 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:23 pm

The problem with mine is both the battery size--82WH--and being a power thirsty energy hog.
Point.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

The thing is such an energy hog, it actually grunts and snorts. :wink:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:18 pm The thing is such an energy hog, it actually grunts and snorts. :wink:
I completely believe you. It looks like it’s an energy monster regardless of what you do. I just think that that is such a mistake on the part of system 76 to not try and make it more energy efficient.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:05 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:18 pm The thing is such an energy hog, it actually grunts and snorts. :wink:
I completely believe you. It looks like it’s an energy monster regardless of what you do. I just think that that is such a mistake on the part of system 76 to not try and make it more energy efficient.
I'll have to admit, it's kinda hard to make I7 processors and high end NVIDIA graphics cards sip energy. Adding four SSDs to the mix doesn't help much.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:09 pm
I'll have to admit, it's kinda hard to make I7 processors and high end NVIDIA graphics cards sip energy. Adding four SSDs to the mix doesn't help much.
True, however they could at least try....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm

I totally agree although it would have taken some creativity to shoehorn in a bigger battery. I should have gone for the I5 instead of the I7.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:01 pm
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:29 pm

I totally agree although it would have taken some creativity to shoehorn in a bigger battery. I should have gone for the I5 instead of the I7.
I got the i5 on both of mine, and don’t seem to have any issues with performance so far, but I don’t stress mine at all.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am at Black Rifle Coffee and checked my disk space. I have 100.6 GB of Music! If not for the music I would have almost no space used on my 500gb drive! Even as efficient as Mint is, my music library takes up a ginormous space. Oh well. This is the best laptop I have ever had, and its is even better because it runs MInt.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:38 am I am at Black Rifle Coffee and checked my disk space. I have 100.6 GB of Music! If not for the music I would have almost no space used on my 500gb drive! Even as efficient as Mint is, my music library takes up a ginormous space. Oh well. This is the best laptop I have ever had, and its is even better because it runs MInt.
I don't know but i might have you beat...I havent figured out quite how many gigs i have of my collection but i do know that I have;

651 music videos

78 full albums

31 full feature length movies

I guess i can call that a collection...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Hello, my name is Jeannie and I'm a music addict.

934 ripped albums (to .mp3 and .wav with the last 324 also being being ripped to .flac)

84 legally downloaded albums and singles (no pirating for me)

830gb (that doesn't include all the sheet music, etc. I have)

All that doesn't include the recently purchased CDs I haven't picked up from my mail service and ripped yet ( :shock: )
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:20 pm Hello, my name is Jeannie and I'm a music addict.

934 ripped albums (to .mp3 and .wav with the last 324 also being being ripped to .flac)

All that doesn't include the recently purchased CDs I haven't picked up from my mail service and ripped yet ( :shock: )
I have to have music running, I love music.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:51 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:20 pm Hello, my name is Jeannie and I'm a music addict.

I have to have music running, I love music.
In case you hadn't guessed (not likely but if you hadn't, I would blame on your knee distracting you), I also love music. I play it while reading and when I go to sleep at night (I have a shutdown timer applet that I can set to shut down the computer after a certain amount of time after when I roll over to go to sleep after reading for a while). I also play music while working inside the house and when driving (radio stations suck).

When I had an operating desktop computer that ran 24/7, the only time I turned the music off was when I was watching TV or videos, or I was on the phone.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”