Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:13 pm
MurphCID wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:51 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:20 pm Hello, my name is Jeannie and I'm a music addict.

934 ripped albums (to .mp3 and .wav with the last 324 also being being ripped to .flac)

84 legally downloaded albums and singles (no pirating for me)

830gb (that doesn't include all the sheet music, etc. I have)

All that doesn't include the recently purchased CDs I haven't picked up from my mail service and ripped yet ( :shock: )
I have to have music running, I love music.
In case you hadn't guessed (not likely but if you hadn't, I would blame on your knee distracting you), I also love music. I play it while reading and when I go to sleep at night (I have a shutdown timer applet that I can set to shut down the computer after a certain amount of time after when I roll over to go to sleep after reading for a while). I also play music while working inside the house and when driving (radio stations suck).

When I had an operating desktop computer that ran 24/7, the only time I turned the music off was when I was watching TV or videos, or I was on the phone.
Oh yeah, I agree.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

While I can transfer my iTunes music and it works in Rhythmbox, none of the movies will play. Bummer.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:50 am While I can transfer my iTunes music and it works in Rhythmbox, none of the movies will play. Bummer.
Try mpv player, thats what i installed to view my movies and music videos...works flawlessly for me...takes very little resource usage...DAMIEN

Code: Select all

sudo apt install mpv
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:43 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:50 am While I can transfer my iTunes music and it works in Rhythmbox, none of the movies will play. Bummer.
Try mpv player, thats what i installed to view my movies and music videos...works flawlessly for me...takes very little resource usage...DAMIEN

sudo apt install mpv
Thanks I will try that this Friday.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The 5.14 kernel is working so well on the older Darter Pro, that think I will install it on the Lemur Pro. I just have to make sure that I get the right instructions to get it done. Also does anyone know if I install the 5.14 will it auto update, or will I have to manually install each and every updated kernel?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well, the 5.14 update did not go well. But I have everything back the way it was supposed to be. Between this one and the new Darter Pro I am majorly impressed. I doubt I will have to upgrade laptops for many many years. I am seriously pleased with this laptop as a grab it and go laptop. I have also gotten more comments at Black Rifle than would have expected. It is just a fun little laptop to take with you on trips.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:17 pm
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:43 am

sudo apt install mpv
Thanks I will try that this Friday.
I prefer VLC Media Player. It has better controls and compatibility than most other players. For the occasional movie that won't play in VLC, I use SMPlayer; it's better than mpv.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I use SMPlayer; it's better than mpv.
They are actually one in the same jeannie...MPV player is the "front end" of the SMPlayer...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

None of the above work with movies downloaded on iTunes. Regrettably.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

iTunes
Ahhh...itunes...Apple propriatory???...That in itself maybe the reason why???...Hopefully someone else might know a work around of some sort Murphy...DAMIEN
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:43 pm
iTunes
Ahhh...itunes...Apple propriatory???...That in itself maybe the reason why???...Hopefully someone else might know a work around of some sort Murphy...DAMIEN
I know, what is funny though is all the music plays perfectly on rhythembox but none of the movies. I have a huge music library pre Linux which is all on iTunes.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:50 pm
iTunes
I know, what is funny though is all the music plays perfectly on rhythembox but none of the movies. I have a huge music library pre Linux which is all on iTunes.
What file type are the movies?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:11 pm

Properties in Windows shows .m4v file. In Linux it shows the same.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:13 am

.m4v is an Apple proprietary file format that can be DRMed (curse Apple and their *&^%$#@! walled garden). See https://www.lifewire.com/m4v-file-2621961 for a better description of it and for a couple of possible solutions to the problem.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:30 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:13 am

.m4v is an Apple proprietary file format that can be DRMed (curse Apple and their *&^%$#@! walled garden). See https://www.lifewire.com/m4v-file-2621961 for a better description of it and for a couple of possible solutions to the problem.
Agreed. But since I already have a huge library on iTunes I am stuck.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Just a small update on this machine which is my "Road Warrior" laptop. 5.14 OEM kernel runs great, battery life is still astonishing. The 10th gen Intel chip runs as fast as I need, no need for the i7 version. I don't use it as much as I used to since I got the Darter Pro, but it is my take to the coffee shop or on the road laptop since it is so staggeringly light. 16 gb of ram seems to be all I need, and the 500gb drive I installed is plenty of storage. I stuck in the 256 gb drive that came with the Darter Pro so I have two drives in the laptop. I did it just for giggles to see if I could do it. Well I did. I keep it in a drawer in the desk until it is time to go on the road. It still gets lots of comments at the coffeeshops, people want to know what I am running, and I tell them Linux Mint causing amazement or consternation depending on the person. If I get another laptop for some reason, it will certainly be a Lemur Pro 11th gen Intel. I am so glad the Spouse Unit and Child Units purchased this for me.

BEST LAPTOP I HAVE EVER OWNED (with the new Gen 2 Darter Pro).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Just saw that the 5.15 kernel is now available (I have been using the Ububtu OEM 5.14), so I installed it. 5.15 is the one to have! It works great on all my devices and it appears to have completely fixed the slow shutdown issue that I have had with all the other kernels. So if Mint 21 is going to have 5.15 as a standard kernel, this gives me high hopes for 21. All my devices are running either 10th or 11th gen Intel i5 chips or AMD Ryzen 5000 series, so the hardware is newer. The kernel is stable and solid on all three laptops that are running Mint 20.3. The Older Darter Pro is on LMDE 5 and is using the 5.10 kernel which is also solid with no laggy shutdowns.

Mint Devs, 5.15 seems to be the way to go, looking forward to 21.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Necromancy at work. But I just installed Mint 21 on this laptop which is a coreboot machine. WOW! Fonts look much better for some reason, icons look better compared to 20. This is a side by side of the Lemur and Darter Pro. Same theme with the only exception is on 20.3 I have simple dock which looks great, and follows the dark them with the red-yellow-green for close, minimize and maximize buttons, so on 21 I have Mint-Y dark teal. Cinnamox Heather is my desktop on both. Start up and shut down are good, NO LAG! This was something I had gotten used to on a coreboot laptop. This was a clean installation since the upgrade path is not ready yet. One issue, the right click and uninstall no longer works right it tells me that I cannot uninstall LibreOffice since other things use the packages, I never had this issue in 20.3 and I would always uninstall the installed (old) version and install the Flatpak version which was updated more often.

As usual this is a superb distro, and right now it is working well except for mentioned above. Rhythmbox works as it is supposed to work importing all my music libraries. The initial start has been good. I have always been a bit leery about these System 76 laptops due to the Coreboot issue. And Chrome is now in the repos! That saves me time and trouble going to Google, downloading, blah, blah, blah. I am not looking at any real differences between regular BIOS and Coreboot at this point. I will keep testing since this laptop is my main road warrior due to being so small and light.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok another unintended side effect of Mint 21; the slow shutdown issue which is a plague on System 76 laptops running anything other than POP!_OS has been completely fixed. Whereas it used to take upwards of 90-120 seconds (or more) to shutdown, now it is almost immediate, usually 10-15 seconds. This is a great fix to a long standing and annoying issue I have had with my System 76 units. Also boot up seems faster and more responsive. As I tweak things I will see what else Mint 21 is bringing to the table. So far it has made the System 76 units of mine work well. With TLP enabled, battery life is nice and long.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far so good. The Lemur is rock stable, fast start up and shut down. Issue with removing Libreoffice, but I handled it via the command line instead of right click. Removed firefox completely, got update for firefox, handled that issue by telling update manager to not show updates for firefox again. Look and feel is awesome and makes this laptop work the way I thought it should work from the first day I put Mint on it. I blame System 76 coreboot for the issues. But finally it has started to play nice. This is a 10th Gen Intel i5 and NO Xe graphics. Since this is my main "road warrior" laptop, it has been getting a great deal of use.

Return to “Open Chat”