Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Early Christmas gift to me (Lemur Pro)

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 am
SMG wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:09 pm When did you install this kernel? Kernel: 5.4.0-7642-generic

I have the latest for Cinnamon and it's 5.4.0-48-generic.
That is installed with the System 76 PPAs, you MUST use their kernel, it will not allow you to use regular kernels. And you have to use their Kernel to get some basic things to work like keyboard lights.
The laptop was sounding so good to me until you posted that. :lol:

I just mentioned it because I think I've seen that specific number and other "odd" numbers in threads where people say they are having issues. As soon as they return to the official LTS kernel then the issues disappear. I do not know enough about the differences in the kernels to add any more to the discussion than that.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

SMG wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:24 am
MurphCID wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 am
SMG wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:09 pm When did you install this kernel? Kernel: 5.4.0-7642-generic

I have the latest for Cinnamon and it's 5.4.0-48-generic.
That is installed with the System 76 PPAs, you MUST use their kernel, it will not allow you to use regular kernels. And you have to use their Kernel to get some basic things to work like keyboard lights.
The laptop was sounding so good to me until you posted that. :lol:

I just mentioned it because I think I've seen that specific number and other "odd" numbers in threads where people say they are having issues. As soon as they return to the official LTS kernel then the issues disappear. I do not know enough about the differences in the kernels to add any more to the discussion than that.
It is the price you pay. Mint 20 works just fine with no issues on both laptops, but you get no keyboard lights, and on the Darter Pro no wifi under 19.3 Mint. So far things are working fine (except for bad firmware). Mint 20 seems to be just about perfect. The System 76 PPA's do install a custom kernel, which you never really understand what you are getting since it is listed as "generic". But I really, really like the size, weight, and build of the Lemur Pro. I might just re-install just Mint 20 since the keyboard lights are not that critical (or bright).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I completely re-installed MInt 20 and it is running great. The only thing I do not have is the firmware update app, and the backlit keyboard. Things are great otherwise.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Biopsy good, but a rush back to the surgeon due to an infection and fluid build up. Home, and resting.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Good news. Sending her fast-healing vibes to recover from the infection.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:11 pm Biopsy good, but a rush back to the surgeon due to an infection and fluid build up. Home, and resting.
Good to know, wishing a speedy recovery ;)

Also, Manuka Honey is very good for healing infected wounds.
Last edited by antikythera on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:07 pm I completely re-installed MInt 20 and it is running great. The only thing I do not have is the firmware update app, and the backlit keyboard. Things are great otherwise.
Hopefully their fwupd tests work out:

https://fwupd.org/lvfs/search?value=system76+lemur+pro
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Wow, this computer and the Darter Pro are no longer available on their website. Apparently there is something going on. Update on the Lemur Pro, the battery life is INSANE! The thing just keeps on running, and running. Mint looks great, no issues what so ever. The only issue so far is I don't have enough time to really spend on it and stress the system. Maybe after I retire (19 months, but not counting).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The more I use this laptop, the more I like it. Plain vanilla Mint 20 works amazingly great, no PPAs, just pure Mint. Running the 5.8 kernel, and it works superbly. Plus it is light and fast. Battery life is fantastic. It is what I wanted in a laptop for travel and normal use. The 14" screen is good, and adequately large for my purposes. The only small complaint at this point is the keyboard is a little cramped.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

HOLY %!@!! The battery life on the Lemur Pro is INSANE! OMG, I have never had a laptop last so long. This is quite possibly the best laptop I have yet had the luck to use. I am running straight Mint 20.1 NO PPAs. The only quibble is I have to manually turn off bluetooth each time I boot up. It is, for me, the perfect size and weight. 16gb of RAM, and a 500gb Samsung NVMe drive. The Darter Pro is Meh, and has become my experiment machine.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pmThe only quibble is I have to manually turn off bluetooth each time I boot up.
If this has Xfce, go to Menu > Settings > Session and Starrtup > Application Autostart tab and turn off everything Bluetooth related there.

Not sure of the location for other DE's.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Cinnamon DE, and no idea. It is wonderful.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

coconut00 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 am I also made myself a Christmas present.
It was a bicycle and it was one of my best purchases in my life. I don't understand why I haven't done this before. It's so cool, just get on your bike and go wherever you want. You can take friends with you and go to the forest, or to the park, or just ride around the city. It is also very convenient, because where I always went on foot, now I ride a bike, and it's very fast. Now I can get to the supermarket in 5 minutes, although I used to go 20 minutes. Very cool thing.
Nice. I probably need to get one myself.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:59 am Nice. I probably need to get one myself.
Would be good, especially if your friend has one or gets one too. It would be a good way to spend time with him during his recovery.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I used to ride a bicycle but gave it up because I had too many close calls with crazy motorists that didn't want to share the road with bicyclists. I don't blame motorists for their attitude because of all the bicycle "enthusiasts" who, instead of sharing the road with cars, acted like they owned the road and would get in people's way.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ok, update on this system. I LOVE IT. Battery life is insane. Screen is great, system is fast and stable with Mint 20.1. No PPA's installed so I don't get notification of firmware updates, but I don't really care. Keyboard is very comfortable, it is easy to take apart and upgrade. So I think I can say this is probably the best non-gaming laptop I have ever owned. The only nit-pick I have is that the power cord is too short.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have a great family. Just a great family.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

A welcome side effect of the cold is I have been able to really test out the Lemur Pro, and let me state for the record, the battery life is great, and has kept me typing for several hours. The Darter Pro lasts three hours at best. Meh. The only issue is the included charger is SLOW, dead dog slow. I have been on it for the last six hours and still the battery shows 11 hours left. Amazing.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:25 pm I have been on it for the last six hours and still the battery shows 11 hours left. Amazing.
That's definitely great for a power outage!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

So far, it is ok, water pressure is really low and we are told to boil water. So I am drinking a great deal of hot tea.

Return to “Open Chat”