History of computing

Chat about just about anything else
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

History of computing

Post by lsemmens »

Came across this article elsewhere. An interesting read. I can remember many of these from my youth. My first PC was in 1986 and first pocket calculator was in the early 70s. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Re: History of computing

Post by deck_luck »

It was a nice brief article. Other than the small PDP1 notation, the article left out a lot about mini computers. Companies like, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), Data General, Prime, Wang, and Apollo allowed small companies to own more affordable mini computers to help run their business. Most PC users probably have never heard of mini computers, but they were an important part of commercial, office, and business oriented productivity assets for small to medium size businesses. ( reminiscing :D )
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
RollyShed
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RollyShed »

deck_luck wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 pm
...the article left out a lot about mini computers. Companies like, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), Data General,.... Most PC users probably have never heard of mini computers, .... ( reminiscing :D )
I started on PDP8s (two) and a Data General, servicing them. One of the PDP8s was pre-intergrated circuitry. They were used to run scientific instruments, X-ray crystallography etc.

At home an Apple IIe clone.
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by farkas »

I was going to reply in this post but after thinking about it I thought it would be more appropriate in
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=323400&p=1898585#p1898585
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

deck_luck wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:18 pm
It was a nice brief article. Other than the small PDP1 notation, the article left out a lot about mini computers. Companies like, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC), Data General, Prime, Wang, and Apollo allowed small companies to own more affordable mini computers to help run their business. Most PC users probably have never heard of mini computers, but they were an important part of commercial, office, and business oriented productivity assets for small to medium size businesses. ( reminiscing :D )
Back in the early 1970's I worked for a company that used minicomputers in their equipment. As I recall we used Datacraft DC-6024 and Microdata 800 series computers. I had to dig around a bit on the net to refresh my memory - it's amazing what you can find:

Computer technology - Minicomputers - 1970
Old Computer Ads
Auerback Guide to Minicomputers - 1975 (note - very long - 322 pages)
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

Return to “Open chat”