what does linux mean to you in your life

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pjkaka

Re: what does linux mean to you in your life

Post by pjkaka »

GNULinux wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 am hii, i know all of us like linux

but what does linux mean to you

whats your linux philosophy :wink:
As I mentioned in another thread, I have been away from Linux for quite a while, mostly because of work. But the more I've been away, the more I've realized what I've been missing: freedom. I don't want my OS to force software on me. I don't want to be forced to upgrade when I don't want to. I don't want to be worried that my OS is spying on me.

I want an OS that gets out of the way and minimizes its presence. With Mac and Windows, all I get is a nanny OS that keeps deciding what's good for me.

No thanks. As an adult, I know what file download is good for me, what software will make me more productive, and when I should install updates.

That freedom is what Linux means to me
DraganTheMighty

Post by DraganTheMighty »

Quality with no cost
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

DraganTheMighty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:28 pm Quality with no cost
If you like it, there should be a cost - contribute towards mint :D
https://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DraganTheMighty

Post by DraganTheMighty »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:37 pm
DraganTheMighty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:28 pm Quality with no cost
If you like it, there should be a cost - contribute towards mint :D
https://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php
NO, IT SHOULD BE NO COST IF I LIKE IT.
And after all I am here and I help when, if I can.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

151tom wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:20 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 am The beauty of Linux is that it just plain works, all the time, unless you do something to mess it up.
""" If this is really true then why are there so many different Linux forums with Linux users seeking solutions for the problems they're having with Linux. """

-- Because of end ..user...error. Be it accidental or the end user messing with something he or she doesn't know enough about yet. I've been there, Hell..I am STILL there.lol. xD By that's how I learn ..by getting my hands dirty . It's all good --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Termy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am
The beauty of Linux is that it just plain works, all the time, unless you do something to mess it up.
Unfortunately, this is hyperbole ...
So what? It's a chat thread and people are entitled to express their feelings in any way they wish, without your interference.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

GNULinux wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 am but what does linux mean to you
For me, there are three main factors. First is performance; I'm a speed freak. Windows is just major bloat IMO. Second is not having to spend hours locking down Microsoft telemetry every time there's an update. Third is stability and control. I don't want my system updating itself holus-bolus, undoing half of my settings every few months, nor do I want it rebooting in the middle of the night. I think the 2nd and 3rd reasons could probably be combined into an appreciation of a lack of intrusion so I'll add another third option, which is having fun and customising the system to the way I want it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

motoryzen wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:48 pm """ If this is really true then why are there so many different Linux forums with Linux users seeking solutions for the problems they're having with Linux. """
Erm, because they aren't @AZgl1500. John was speaking for himself, not anyone else. You are doing a disservice by attempting to extrapolate one person's experience and opinion about nothing other than their very own experience and opinion, to everyone else on the planet.

Note the subject line: what does linux mean to you in your life

It does not say 'what does linux mean to someone else in their life', which is what you have now caused it to mean. John did not do that, you did, so don't point your finger at John for your own doings.

So, let me turn that question of yours around. When was the last time you saw me ask for help?

I could just as well have said 'it just works', but that would be a statement by me for me alone, and I would object vociferously to your mischaracterisation of what X means to me into what X means for someone else.

Do stop moving goalposts. Someone might notice and call you out for it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 pm
Termy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:59 am
The beauty of Linux is that it just plain works, all the time, unless you do something to mess it up.
Unfortunately, this is hyperbole ...
So what? It's a chat thread and people are entitled to express their feelings in any way they wish, without your interference.
Sorry folks, for me being absent, but I have been busy with Snow Storms, and sub-zero weather while helping my daughter deliver the mail, she is a Rural Mail Carrier, and her car's street tires could not handle the Glazed Ice and Snow Pack on the roads, so I used our 4x4 to deliver the U.S. Mail in our community.

ergo, been "off the air" if you will, for the last week.

I don't know how it was miss-interpreted, but for me, I never mess with what works, "so, it just works" :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:38 pm I don't know how it was miss-interpreted ...
Things get misinterpreted because humans, of which I am not one, like to fill in what they perceive as blanks with their own imaginings, devoid of any basis in both fact and reasonableness. Next they construct a highly flammable straw man out of their very own imaginings, and with a sleight of hand they label that straw man as your creation, and then they attack their own self-created straw man, all the while pointing at you as if you created it.

It's just a bad habit that humans have.

I get some of my jollies by putting a match to people's self-created straw men. That's just a bad habit I have.
exiledrose

Post by exiledrose »

To me linux is about having a fast, secure, & reliable operating system in all honesty. I mean I have been using linux since linux mint 17 released in all honesty. I mean I like linux because it's completely different then windows & it helps you learn how a computer operating systems work a bit. Though I use linux because it supports hardware that becomes outdated, it's fast & reliable, only way to get a virus is if you practically set out to try & get one but even then you have to be the one to allow/install it. Also updates are seamless & happen quickly but in general linux has way more variety you can customize it to your liking or if your not good at customizing there is numerous distros/versions that will accommodate your style. So I would have to say the amount of freedom you have when it comes to using linux is better as well.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

To me, stability! It does not take forever to update, no random re-starts without my permission, waaaaay more secure than the competition. Could I go on?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 pm ...
That's a contradiction. I am one of "people", therefor I am entitled also to express my own feelings. Disagreeing with me doesn't inherently make me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Linux. I always recommend it, and I've even spent years making YouTube videos about and writing programs for Linux. So don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the exact opposite of the original statement was true, merely that it was exaggerated.

Also -- at this point I have to ask, because it's getting silly, now -- why is it just about just about every time you reply to me, I get passive-aggressive or downright rude responses from you? If I did something to offend or wrong you in some way, please just explain why. I'm here to help, have adult discussions, and enjoy a friendly community, not be the butt-end of some mysterious wrongdoing. I'm open to PMs, so as not to derail the thread.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

It means shitlife (if it exists in english)

I bought a new hardware to install Linux in 2016 (MB, RAM, CPU, power supply) but for this I chose the only CPU not supported by Linux, an AMD Kaveri) :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

No more migraines, reduced blood pressure and no more screaming fits due to Microsoft latest bully updates.
Hubby can still be heard bellowing at MS, sadly, he can not use LM because third party business programs he uses will only work on Windows.
Every time I hear him swearing I am grateful for LM!

Freedom & Security
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

@JTemple: :lol: That's both funny and sad all at the same time. I hope he one day gets free of M$!
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Termy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:09 pm @JTemple: :lol: That's both funny and sad all at the same time. I hope he one day gets free of M$!
He desperately hopes so too! He is really envious of my freedom to dump the B*S*A*D*.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Menard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:20 am It means shitlife (if it exists in english)

I bought a new hardware to install Linux in 2016 (MB, RAM, CPU, power supply) but for this I chose the only CPU not supported by Linux, an AMD Kaveri) :mrgreen:
Dang!! :( That must have been a huge PO. Why couldn't you replace the CPU?
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

JTemple wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:37 pm
Menard wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:20 am It means shitlife (if it exists in english)

Dang!! :( That must have been a huge PO. Why couldn't you replace the CPU?
On chipset FM2+ no other solution, I must replace the motherboard then, and the RAM probably (for DDR4) and FM2 APUs as Richland serie are not supported neither, and I don't know for Godavari and Carizo serie (expensive) or then I must perhaps use a single CPU of these years, then buy a graphic card
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

Before Linux, I was a less than average Windows user. By accident and due to specific circumstances, I tried Zorin OS for about 2-3 weeks, then my old HDD died. So Linux Mint is my second Linux OS. In total, I'm on Linux for about 1 month. Just to point out, Mint is clearly better than Zorin on the installed software side.

Now, for me, Linux means curiosity, as I have become more tech curious suddenly in the last month. I even installed custom ROMs on my other devices that were using Android, which I must admit, I am kind of fascinated I was able to do.

Other reasons for using Linux are privacy and freedom. I strongly believe in the antitrust philosophy that says that when a company is too big, it will most likely abuse its dominance to maintain its position and keep other companies out from the market. This abuse includes less privacy and freedom for ordinary people. So, more competition is needed in order to continue to have innovation and continuous improvements in our lives.

This idea comes from the ancient idea that power corrupts people, so best is to not give too much power for too long to only one individual.

Return to “Open Chat”