[SOLVED] Online Security - a serious question

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
pjkaka

Re: [SOLVED] Online Security - a serious question

Post by pjkaka »

Yeah, I keep a second account that I use only for my weekly needs. I'll top it up every week or so from my primary account.

I don't have a debit card for my primary account. Except for weekly transfers to my 2nd account, I don't even use it for anything.

I feel it's going to become even harder to keep yourself safe as we move into the 2020s. The number of people online is only going to increase and with it, the number of bad actors will grow as well
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Someone took the printed letterhead of our former family trust and used it to defraud several other people with. Next, we received a call from a bank in Johannesburg that were ready to approve a substantial financing transaction. All done with copies of printed letterheads, nothing digital,
sh4rkbyt3
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sh4rkbyt3 »

Actually the store clerk didn't, the bank did. Each bank branch is setup with a 100k-250K account for transactional losses that are to small for an FBI investigation. In other words it simply becomes a write-off, the cost of doing business. The store clerk did nothing wrong so there's no way for them to held accountable and they shouldn't be.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

That depends upon the specifics of what the store clerks did. If they took an apparently legitimate card, swiped it, and it worked, then what is said above is true: it's not their fault. However, if they took it as a verbal or otherwise written transaction, then they are either in on the con job (most likely) or they are incredibly incompetent and deserve to be fired on the spot. My own company has the following policy:

If someone tries to go through a scam process with you over the phone, you are obligated to hang up on them immediately and report it to your store manager. If it's in person, absolutely decline the transaction and report it as soon as it's safe to do so. If you go through with the financial transaction, you are subject to immediate termination, generally on a no-discretion basis, and it's possible you might be leaving yourself open to future litigation.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”