Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by SMG »

Pfizer shot in arm today!

I found out just before lunch that Florida today lowered the age to 50+ for eligibility and so few people are going to get them that I could go to a nearby state-run vaccine site with no appointment needed. I had to wait about a minute or so in line before sent to one of the many paperwork stations to get the process started.

The observation section had chairs spaced out and multiple blowers to keep the air circulating. Also had someone calling out the times and encouraging arm movement. Said keeping the arm moving would help minimize possible arm soreness.

Excited to get the process started. Before COVID hit, I had planned to travel to visit my parents last summer. That didn't happen, but things are now looking better for it to happen this year. Also wanted to get it sooner rather than later given all the variants and spring-breakers running around Florida.

Edited to fix typo/wrong word used. :roll:
Last edited by SMG on Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Arizona will open up shots to all 16+ starting Wednesday. A new batch of appointments will open up every Friday morning and, during the week, openings due to cancellations will also be available.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:21 pm Said keeping the arm moving would help minimize possible arm soreness.
Wish someone had told me about that trick. I got my first shot of Pfizer two weeks ago and my arm was really sore the next day, much more than from an ordinary flu shot, and was still a bit sore the day after that. No soreness on the third day after the shot.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I heard someone say, "This is like a jazzercise class."

The nurse up front was walking back and forth doing larger arm circles and encouraging those waiting to do so. Those waiting for their observation time to complete were in their chairs doing arm circles. :D
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm getting my first on Friday, should have had it weeks ago but I had to sort it via a lengthy phone call to the local Health Board. I'm in an at risk group but between my GP and the local Health Board they managed to miss me off the prioritised at risk list for my age group. I managed to get an appointment at Enfys Llandudno which is an Temporary Hospital at present instead of a Theatre and conference centre.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

antikythera wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:20 pm Enfys Llandudno
Iechyd da, Taffy :mrgreen:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Diolch yn fawr, iechyd da i chi ;)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

My brother in the UK got his first jab (AZ) a few days ago. So far, he hasn't grown a second head, or anything else.

We are totally in the dark about when we will get jabbed! The dates keep getting pushed back! :(
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Beerislife wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:31 am My brother in the UK got his first jab (AZ) a few days ago. So far, he hasn't grown a second head, or anything else...
Well, that's disappointing. I could use another head; the one I have doesn't work so well anymore. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

slipstick wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:56 pmWish someone had told me about that trick. I got my first shot of Pfizer two weeks ago and my arm was really sore the next day, much more than from an ordinary flu shot, and was still a bit sore the day after that. No soreness on the third day after the shot.
My arm was more sore the next morning than I was expecting it to be. It seemed to be in one particular muscle, so it depended on how I moved the arm whether I noticed it. It's lessened more this morning. The pain is in a different place from where I received the shot, but does seem to be in a muscle. I take it as a sign all things are working as expected. I could not even find the shot location even right after I received it. No localized reaction at all.

Did a some research and found a doctor describing the COVID vaccine as more akin to a tetanus shot than a flu shot. Apparently, the flu shot does not provoke as much of a immune response as the other two do. The immune response triggers pain as does injecting liquid into the muscle (liquid is the carrier of the vaccine).
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

Had my second (AZ) jab Monday with absolutely no side effects - not even a sore arm. Will still be following the rules mind.
antikythera:- You was robbed at the weekend. :(
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I got the Pfizer vaccine tonight, they made me wait 30 minutes afterwards instead of 15 because I have had severe anaphylaxis to medicines before. I was fine with it but almost nodded off in the waiting area because it was really hot in there. The amusing part was the way out. The building is normally a Theatre and Conference Centre, the waiting area was where the main stage normally is and the exit was stage left to the outside where they park up trucks for music and stage shows and bring in the necessary stuff for performances usually.

You really couldn't tell it wasn't a Hospital normally, the RAF and Army have done a monumental job converting it.

Regarding the sore arm, apparently if you do circular arm movements before and after the injection it reduces the swelling and muscle bruising. There was a whole load of people doing it, it looked ridiculous but if it does work then who cares :D
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

antikythera wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:11 pmRegarding the sore arm, apparently if you do circular arm movements before and after the injection it reduces the swelling and muscle bruising. There was a whole load of people doing it, it looked ridiculous but if it does work then who cares :D
I'll make sure to do my "warm-ups" in the parking lot before I go in for my second shot. :D

I did not have any swelling nor any visual bruising, so maybe it did help me even though I had some pains afterward.

I hope to remember this arm circling when I get my tetanus booster next year. My last one was 9 years ago and I still recall how my arm felt like a rock for days afterward. If that article I read about there being similarities between the two vaccines is accurate, then the arm circles should help.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

csqwared wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:40 pm antikythera:- You was robbed at the weekend. :(
Yeah but we had the last laugh tonight thanks in no small part to Scotland :D

Virtual pissup in progress
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm finally scheduled for my first shot on April 5. I'm glad I kept an eye on this thread in regard to the arm circle thing.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Got my first of two Moderna injections today. Hardly felt the shot at all, and now twelve hours later, there is absolutely now swelling, redness or soreness of any kind. So far, so good.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:36 pm in regard to the arm circle thing.
Update on that, it didn't work entirely as I do have a some soreness in the injected muscle this morning when I move my arm. It's not too uncomfortable though so the arm rotation may have helped to a certain extent. No noticeable side effects from the vaccine though :D
rumpus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rumpus »

It's been a month since I received the second shot of the Moderna vaccine.
There have been no side effects at all. I used a gallon of milk as a dumb bell
for the first two days to keep the arm exercised and there was no soreness.

I am back to shopping for food( wearing a mask and social distancing )
and it's great to get fresh veggies. I was getting very tired of the frozen stuff.

It's sad there are so many people that are refusing to get their shot.
Every one stay safe out there..........r
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

antikythera wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:53 pm Yeah but we had the last laugh tonight thanks in no small part to Scotland :D

Virtual pissup in progress
Yes, well done Scotland - cracking match. Don't imbibe too much, it might dilute the vaccine. :lol: :lol:
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

antikythera wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:48 am...I do have a some soreness in the injected muscle this morning...
Same here. It's not enough to notice unless I think about it, but still some soreness none the less. Wife got the shot at the same time, and this morning she says she aches all over and just doesn't feel good, but that's not unusual for her, so can't say if it's the vaccine or just her normal malaise.

Return to “Open Chat”