Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:32 pm ...Mentally I'm gearing up for this to become an annual event. I've declined the Flu jab over the last few years as haven't felt the need, but with C19 I think it'll be different (wiser to take the jab than not). It is somewhat confusing though how all this is going to be managed with variants popping up. If I understand it correctly it's as yet unknown whether you can still spread the disease after vaccination - so whilst the current roll-out programme will hopefully get us back to near normal, I wouldn't be surprised if some future variant(s) have us going round in circles...
I've been avoiding the flu jab for years because, after a decade or two of not getting it and not getting the Flu, I let my doctor talk me into getting one about 15 years ago and got the second worst case of flue I ever had. No more shots after that! The next year, I had a mild case and, since then, I haven't had it. I'm guessing it had to do with the flu vaccine being a weakened live vaccine.

The Covid vaccines, on the other hand, are not live vaccines. They contain bits of RNA from the shell of the bad bugger, which cannot cause the disease, but can trigger a response from the immune system to our bodies the ability to fight off the actual virus. After researching the vaccines, I had no hesitation to get my shot and I'm eagerly awaiting the second one.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

AndyMH wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:31 am Unfortunately the conspiracy theorists, sorry nutters, out there will leap on it and use it to advance their warped view of reality.
Unless you happen to know somebody who's had this reaction to it. It's so easy to paint others with a wide brush (that's a saying here in the US).
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:13 pm
I've been avoiding the flu jab for years because, after a decade or two of not getting it and not getting the Flu, I let my doctor talk me into getting one about 15 years ago and got the second worst case of flue I ever had. No more shots after that! The next year, I had a mild case and, since then, I haven't had it. I'm guessing it had to do with the flu vaccine being a weakened live vaccine.

The Covid vaccines, on the other hand, are not live vaccines. They contain bits of RNA from the shell of the bad bugger, which cannot cause the disease, but can trigger a response from the immune system to our bodies the ability to fight off the actual virus. After researching the vaccines, I had no hesitation to get my shot and I'm eagerly awaiting the second one.
Me too, I was forced to take flu shots when employed with a city government before I retired in 2010.
have not taken a flu shot since, and never had the flu either. would sometimes get to feeling bad after a flu shot, but never missed a day of work because of it.

I am 78 now, we live on six acres of grass and trees, I mostly stay home except for doctor appointments, and the occasional need to get some groceries. I try to avoid the Dollar General stores, they are so tight, and congested with people, makes me nervous.

we have one local grocery store, with wide isles, I run in, grab bread, milk and out the door as fast as I can get checked out.

My daughter orders as much of our groceries as can be done online, delivered to the house.
the rest, we order online for Drive up Pickup.... clerks wheel out a dolly, transfer the stuff to the car, and we are gone, no face-to-face with people that way.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 am ...My daughter orders as much of our groceries as can be done online, delivered to the house.
the rest, we order online for Drive up Pickup.... clerks wheel out a dolly, transfer the stuff to the car, and we are gone, no face-to-face with people that way.

I wish I could do that but I've too much trouble in my neck of the desert with idiots who can't follow simple directions.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:24 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:09 am ...My daughter orders as much of our groceries as can be done online, delivered to the house.

I wish I could do that but I've too much trouble in my neck of the desert with idiots who can't follow simple directions.
you don't have a hold on that.....
we use Walmart for our online grocery ordering.
when they get it wrong, she uses the app, or calls them? dunno which....

anyhoo, Walmart says keep the wrong stuff, and they send out the correct items.
Dog food is in 40# bags, once a fork lift jabbed it really good, and spilled some... not a lot, but that wasn't the point.

Walmart sent out a new bag for free.

Walmart does an AutoMatic upgrade to the next largest size if the item you ordered is not in stock.
that has worked out to our benefit innumerable times...

several of the local grocery stores also offer online orders and curb side pickup, but we seldom use those...
but with this Covid crap, the online thing is now an established habit with lots of people.

my daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier, and she is seeing the effects of the ordering habits in spades.
Yesterday and Today, I had to drive her route for her, my truck is a 4x4 Suburban and her car is a Pontiac Vibe with Right Hand Drive modifications.... Today, we delivered 60 packages that Amazon dropped off at the post office for the rural carriers to deliver. Their trucks are not 4x4 and they can't get up the minor inclines with ice on the pavement.

a big Problem is, where we live, the local roads, and the Communities where a developer has created a habitat, none of those streets are ever touched by a Sand/Salt truck...

the Vibe can't get back on the pavement if a tire slips into the ruts where the mail carriers usually drive to get close to a mailbox.

With a 1/2 inch of solid glazed ice in those community areas, she only made about 10 mailboxes on Monday in a 3 hour time period, the rest of the time she was trying to get back on the pavement.... she called the PO supervisor and said " I am done, I cannot risk wrecking my car, just to deliver a sales paper advertisement "...

So, Tuesday and Wednesday, we used my 4x4 truck.. and that was no guarantee against slipping.
Twice we were sitting " almost stopped " by a mailbox and the truck just started moving sideways until it contacted the dirt/grass at the edge of the pavement. I had to drive on grass until I could finally get back up onto the pavement.

Tomorrow, I am ordering up Studded Tires for her car, they are legal for Mail Carriers from Nov 1st thru April 1st.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:24 am

you don't have a hold on that.....
we use Walmart for our online grocery ordering.
when they get it wrong, she uses the app, or calls them? dunno which...
My sister in another State use Walmart's curbside grocery pickup and works for them but I've had too much trouble with my local Walmarts always being out of stock on many items and taking forever to restock. The stores are run by idiots. I can't even order online from Walmart.com anymore because their online auto security checker kicks me out and trying to get that settled was fruitless, even after filing a BBB complaint.

I used to do all my grocery shopping at Fry's, the local Kroger affiliate here, but they started discontinuing my products and having frequent stockout issues long before Covid. Their managers are also idiots. When I worked for a convenient store chain for a while after retiring, the chain hired a lot of their former assistant managers who never lasted very long before getting fired.

The local Safeway stores are a joke which is odd because their California affiliate, Von's, is an excellent store.

I now do my grocery shopping at Winco since they have the best variety in my area (two cities away, actually) and are pretty good at maintaining their stock levels. They don't have curbside pickup. Customers even have to do their own bagging, which I like because my groceries get bagged the way I need. Baggers at other stores either can't or are just too ornery to follow simple directions, such as bag the refrigerated items together or don't put all the cans in the same bag.
Jeannie

lexon

Post by lexon »

I have been getting flu shots for years. No issues or flu. I will be eighty in April.

L
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 am I now do my grocery shopping at Winco since they have the best variety in my area (two cities away, actually) and are pretty good at maintaining their stock levels. They don't have curbside pickup. Customers even have to do their own bagging, which I like because my groceries get bagged the way I need. Baggers at other stores either can't or are just too ornery to follow simple directions, such as bag the refrigerated items together or don't put all the cans in the same bag.
Bagging groceries in an appropriate manner, is:
  • Beyond their mental capacity
    or don't give a crap attitude
    or just plain stupid...
being in a very rural area, our baggers are mostly farm kids, and somehow, that imbibes them with some common sense, like double bagging a 1/2 carton of milk, knowing that a single plastic bag will tear through before I can get out the door.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I got the seasonal flu shot every year but avoided the last one. I figured with all the masking and social distancing, the normal flu varieties won't spread much. I did get the Pfizer Covid shot and tomorrow get the second dose.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I signed up for the vaccine registry....

but, my daughter does not want me to get the Flu/Covid shot, she just simply does NOT think it is safe/needed/trust worthy.... it is a political gamut to control the world. maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

I am 78 and she is afraid that the vaccine is contaminated with something that will shorten my life. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kFlYOb1sZ4

this is a 45 second video I just took, birds and squirrels trying to stay alive, in 6*F weather and snow on the ground. In the house, we are bundled up in warm clothes..... we keep the Thermostat at 67*F so the fuel bills stay as low as possible.... and it also limits our susceptibility to catching colds thru the winter.

I learned on TV last night, that Oklahoma is at 4% of the population that has received the CV-19 vaccine.
in 2 or 3 weeks, they are going to open the flood gates to anyone who wants the shot, up to now, it has been reserved for 1st line Responders, the Elderly in nursing homes, Hospital staff.... and those who are immune system suppressed and need help.

for the most part, we don't get out too much, I hibernate in the house, or stay within the confines of our little 6 acre patch of ground with grass and trees.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

kenetics wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:08 am I got the seasonal flu shot every year but avoided the last one. I figured with all the masking and social distancing, the normal flu varieties won't spread much.
The data both Australia (for their winter) and for the USA (so far in this flu season) is showing a much, much lower prevalence of flu. The masks have definitely helped with that.

I actually got a flu shot for the first time this year. I've been battling infection that had been in sinuses/lungs for years and figured if the flu shot helped even a little with regards to knocking down my likelihood of being sick with COVID that it was worth it. I'm made so much progress over the last 1.5 years that I wanted to do all I can to keep that progress going.

I didn't want to be regretting not getting the shot when I had the chance which is why I plan to get the COVID vaccine. My immune system seems to be doing much better now and I can be super woman by beefing the system against COVID too. :D
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I wish this forum had a LIKE Button....
would be so much easier and cleaner than Quoting a post.

I didn't want to be regretting not getting the shot when I had the chance which is why I plan to get the COVID vaccine. My immune system seems to be doing much better now and I can be super woman by beefing the system against COVID too.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am ...but, my daughter does not want me to get the Flu/Covid shot, she just simply does NOT think it is safe/needed/trust worthy.... it is a political gamut to control the world. maybe, maybe not, I don't know.

I am 78 and she is afraid that the vaccine is contaminated with something that will shorten my life. :cry: ...
I'm really curious where she gets that notion from. Seriously, could she give you some links to websites or other sources that support her beliefs that you could share with us? It would be interesting.
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:36 am ...for the most part, we don't get out too much, I hibernate in the house, or stay within the confines of our little 6 acre patch of ground with grass and trees.
That makes you part of the small minority of intelligent people who are taking this pandemic seriously. You get extra points for masking up and practicing social distancing when you do leave your 6 acre bubble (yes, I'm jealous of the size of your bubble :wink: ).

Changing gears here, has anyone else noticed a recent trend for people to wear their masks but leave their noses exposed?
Jeannie

csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

Changing gears here, has anyone else noticed a recent trend for people to wear their masks but leave their noses exposed?
Rather than a recent trend, this has been an issue here for some time. Despite the advice, notices with diagrams etc. people still get it wrong. The amount of people wandering around supermarkets like this is staggering. :shock:
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I, for one, am disappointed that it did not add the promised 3" to my...asset. Oh, well, I must have gotten the normal dose..
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I get a flu shot every year. I had my first covid jab yesterday (Pfizer, surprised thought I get the Oxford one as it is so much easier to distribute). Organisation was superb, for every clinician there were at least 2-3 helpers - other NHS staff and a lot of lions/round table/rotary. Very friendly too. In and out in 15mins (plus 15 mins that you had to wait to see if there was any adverse effect - they had had none). This in a health centre in a small Wiltshire town.

AZgl1500 - when offered take it! You maybe even more rural than me but you've got a decade on me and after what your motorcycle accident did to your body...

Envy the six acres, but not the -14°C, thought it was cold here last week at -6°C (21°F).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:21 pm I get a flu shot every year. I had my first covid jab yesterday (Pfizer, surprised thought I get the Oxford one as it is so much easier to distribute). Organisation was superb, for every clinician there were at least 2-3 helpers - other NHS staff and a lot of lions/round table/rotary. Very friendly too. In and out in 15mins (plus 15 mins that you had to wait to see if there was any adverse effect - they had had none). This in a health centre in a small Wiltshire town.

AZgl1500 - when offered take it! You maybe even more rural than me but you've got a decade on me and after what your motorcycle accident did to your body...

Envy the six acres, but not the -14°C, thought it was cold here last week at -6°C (21°F).
Tnx on the note about the size of my hibernation spread, we really enjoy it.

at 0600 CST it was 3*F, looks like tonight is going to be a repeat.

Temp 3.png
Temp 3.png (14.04 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:20 pm I, for one, am disappointed that it did not add the promised 3" to my...asset. Oh, well, I must have gotten the normal dose..
My disappointment came when I was driving through the zigzag designed to accommodate extra cars when the pod is busier than usual. Among the many somewhat amusing signs encouraging people to keep their speed down was one sign saying' "Drive Slow. Velociraptor Crossing". I looked all over but didn't see hide nor feather of one.

Pity the shot didn't reduce my ample asset.

It's 24°C in my house right now and I'm cold. We rarely, if ever, get down to freezing anymore (and people claim global warming isn't true :roll: ).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Power has been on and off today. It is COLD. REALLY COLD. But we have something unusual 3-6 inches of SNOW. Charging all devices now.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Kevin he was a friendly chap and quite knowledgeable (shame about the LFC but nobody's perfect). When you see someone you know of mentioned on the BBC News website it hits home that little bit harder. Yet another NHS worker cut down in their prime needlessly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56073860
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Open Chat”