Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JeffF73 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 pm I am not sure I even want to ever get this "Vaccine". First of all we have heard how Bill Gates has pushed hard to be involved in the creation and we all know he's not a doctor and how Microsoft Develops software. Those thing's alone make me steer clear. Good luck to those of you that have. I won't shame anyone for their choice.
So, don't listen to Gates and listen to all the doctors (who know far more than Gates) who are encouraging people to get it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

As I have the luck to have a vaccine designer in my family (works for Janssen, so she helped to create the Johnson & Johnson vaccine), I get to hear some interesting vaccine facts from time to time...

According to her, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is technically inferior to those of Pfizer, Moderna and (of course, haha) Janssen. The reason is that Astra Zeneca apparently uses a non-stabilized spike protein, whereas Pfizer, Moderna and Janssen do use a stabilized spike protein.

Again according to her, this causes the Astra Zeneca vaccine to create a lot of ineffective antibodies besides the antibodies that are effective. In other words: the Astra Zeneca vaccine is a much more "blunt" instrument than the other three I mentioned.

Note: this technical shortcoming has nothing to do with the tiny thrombosis risk. That's probably simply an inevitable consequence of the "old-fashioned" production method (which is identical to that of Janssen, which also has a tiny thrombosis risk).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Thank you, dear neighbour,

for telling me this
Pjotr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 amAccording to her, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is technically inferior to those of Pfizer, Moderna and (of course, haha) Janssen.
only the day, after it was announced to me that I were going to get AstraZeneca on the scheduled day of my vaccination. :shock:
I admit that from the very beginning I would have very much liked to get something more in line with StarTrek, i.e. Biontec/Phizer. Too bad I lost my transportable emitter and can no longer call the Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH), also known as "The Doctor".

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the local version of the AstraZeneca inoculation campaign,
is now at stage 2B from last Monday,
and the WA Sate Gov't has now launched it's inoculate WA advertising campaign.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

karlchen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:23 am Thank you, dear neighbour,

for telling me this
Pjotr wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:08 amAccording to her, the Astra Zeneca vaccine is technically inferior to those of Pfizer, Moderna and (of course, haha) Janssen.
only the day, after it was announced to me that I were going to get AstraZeneca on the scheduled day of my vaccination. :shock:
My pleasure. :mrgreen:

Personally, I'd favour Janssen. Not only because the niece of my wife who works for Janssen, is very charming indeed, but also because of the single shot and the more generic effectiveness against potential mutations.

But I'll probably get Pfizer. If I'd refuse that because I prefer Janssen, that would mean having to wait some extra months. Not worth it. I want to be done with that bloody virus ASAP.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

karlchen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:23 am I admit that from the very beginning I would have very much liked to get something more in line with StarTrek, i.e. Biontec/Phizer. Too bad I lost my transportable emitter and can no longer call the Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH), also known as "The Doctor".
I'm having a helluva laugh over the thought if The Doctor met the doctor from Voyager.

EMH: I'm the doctor.

Doctor: No, doctor, I'm The Doctor. The definite article, you might say.

(With apologies to the writer of the episode Robot.)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

I had my first shot, had a sore arm but that's about it.
Have my 2nd booked in for the 20th of this month.

They're giving out info about blood-clots now. kinda scary but it's suppose to happen with your first shot so think I'm good.

I'm not old, but I'm a carer for my parents - do their shopping etc so that's why I got the shot earlier than people my age.

My brother-in-law was really bad after his, he stayed in bed all day and couldn't move. his whole body was aching.
Luckily I didn't get that, too.

It's really sad to see what's happening in India, though. my thoughts go out to them.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am My brother-in-law was really bad after his, he stayed in bed all day and couldn't move. his whole body was aching.
I think that's a good thing. It indicates that the immune system is responding. I had my first jab yesterday, and today I'm sore all over, nauseous and ... OMG! MY HANDS! I'M TURNING INTO A WHITE MAN!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:56 pm
thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 am My brother-in-law was really bad after his, he stayed in bed all day and couldn't move. his whole body was aching.
I think that's a good thing. It indicates that the immune system is responding. I had my first jab yesterday, and today I'm sore all over, nauseous and ... OMG! MY HANDS! I'M TURNING INTO A WHITE MAN!
Considering how many white people are racists, especially here in the SSA, turning into one would be horrible.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 pm Considering how many white people are racists, especially here in the SSA, turning into one would be horrible.
Not wishing to sidetrack the discussion, when I speak with someone I don't see a black person, a white person, a male, a female or any of the other categories people who are different are summarily slotted in to by others. I see a person, and I understand that person is the same as me, human, replete with all the human frailties. There would be more love, peace and light in this world if people just for once stopped and checked their assumptions about other people, but for the vast majority that's too much to ask. It's easier to go on behaving in accord with their unchecked assumptions than it is to deliberately alter and realign their worldview.

I had to take today off work because of the response I've had to the jab. I slept for an extra couple of hours.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:25 pm Considering how many white people are racists, especially here in the SSA, turning into one would be horrible.
Not wishing to sidetrack the discussion, when I speak with someone I don't see a black person, a white person, a male, a female or any of the other categories people who are different are summarily slotted in to by others. I see a person, and I understand that person is the same as me, human, replete with all the human frailties. There would be more love, peace and light in this world if people just for once stopped and checked their assumptions about other people, but for the vast majority that's too much to ask. It's easier to go on behaving in accord with their unchecked assumptions than it is to deliberately alter and realign their worldview.

I had to take today off work because of the response I've had to the jab. I slept for an extra couple of hours.
If I wasn't a Lesbian, I'd want to marry you. :wink:

I hope you feel better soon!
Jeannie

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:31 pm If I wasn't a Lesbian, I'd want to marry you. :wink:
lol
I hope you feel better soon!
I'm much better, thank you. Just a very minor ache now at the injection site, not significant enough to notice often.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

First dose of Astra Zeneca on April 8, Thursday.
12 hours later and throughout the next day I had a fever, severe headache and body fatigue.
On Saturday (April 10), everything was gone.
Second dose scheduled for July 1.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

News Flash: There are racists around the world! And horrors, there are non-white racists too!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Schultz wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:16 am
News Flash: There are racists around the world! And horrors, there are non-white racists too!
Oh my god! Call in the thought police, quick! :shock:

For the rest I think that woke nastiness and the emitting of politically correct smells should have no place on this otherwise remarkably sane forum.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:21 am For the rest I think that woke nastiness and the emitting of politically correct smells should have no place on this otherwise remarkably sane forum.
Yeah, I'm tired of it also. I visit this forum to help if I possibly can and to pick up on things about Linux in general. I don't need reminded how horrible the world can be.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Back on topic: my wife will get her first Pfizer shot on Sunday. For myself there's no date yet, but as vaccination speed is (finally!!!) ramping up in The Netherlands, it won't be long.

Interesting news about the Janssen vaccine:
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ge ... 021-05-07/

That wasn't entirely unexpected, in view of the comparable (though larger!) issues with Astra Zeneca, which has had a similar restriction in some countries. But it does strike me as exaggerated.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:15 pm ... the comparable (though larger!) issues with Astra Zeneca, which has had a similar restriction in some countries. But it does strike me as exaggerated.
Exaggerated indeed.

The Beeb say '... Most adults under the age of 40 will be given an alternative to the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine due to a link with rare blood clots.'

They're not rare. They are very rare.

Although why some feel that it's wrong for we 'elderly' and some feel it's wrong for those 'youngsters' is beyond me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57021738
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

dorsetUK wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:31 pm Although why some feel that it's wrong for we 'elderly' and some feel it's wrong for those 'youngsters' is beyond me.
Yeah, well, those who experienced those serious side effects were mostly young women.... Somehow the risk seems to be greater for them.

Whereas the risk of getting seriously ill from COVID, is of course highest for the old. So it's an act of risk balancing. Seems rational enough....
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 pm Yeah, well, those who experienced those serious side effects were mostly young women....
Thanks Pjotr, I didn't know that, so that makes sense.

Some Countries differ in the advice they're giving and that's something we have to live with.

Three days on from my second jab - no reaction.

Return to “Open Chat”