Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AndyMH wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:07 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:51 am I had the red measles, chicken pox, and mumps (on both sides) when I was a kid (somehow, I managed to avoid Rubella).
Likewise. I had them all badly. I can remember being kept in a darkened room when I had measles and convinced that there were fairies at the bottom of the bed, so must have been running a high fever. This would be late '50s. Still have some chicken pox scars.

The one not mentioned so far is BCG which we had at about age 14. Vaccines are wonderful things.
I vaguely remember when I had the measles (I was five or six) and I was supposed to stay in a darkened room. I didn't; I would sneak down the hall when Mama wasn't looking (I don't remember getting caught) and watch the TV in the living room from the hallway.

I still have a faint chicken pox scar in the middle of my forehead (it's faded considerably now that I'm a flatulent geriatric).

I also got the TB vaccine but I don't remember when nor it being called BCG (then again, my rememberer never was very good and has only gotten worse over the years).

I have only two vague memories when I had my tonsils removed (I was five or younger). They used a small, ether soaked, net like gizmo over my nose, then I remember seeing a rotating spiral, like in the movies. Afterwards, I remember being in a bed in a ward with a bunch of other kids in beds.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BCG_vaccine

Bacillus Calmette–Guérin (BCG) vaccine
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

My wife and I have both had our first shot of Pfizer/BioNTech this morning (I wasn't scheduled, but was allowed to participate anyway). So far only a stiff arm.

Looking forward to giving bloody COVID the finger. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I'm 78 and have the scar on my left upper arm for "small pox" ??
and yes, in Boot Camp, there was that little air gun that would slice you to ribbons if you moved your arm.

we were warned about that, but some 'kids' just would not listen, and got a goodly little strip sliced thru their arms.

during my childhood, I have had the measles, chicken pox, multiple occurrences of the poison Ivy/Oak experience, ear aches that never stopped from early years through about 8 years old.... ( born deaf, inner ear springs/hammers/chisels were not attached..... a good doctor fixed all that ) still left with non-stop Tinnitus
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Things are slowly starting to move here. My first jab will be 6月8日 and my second 6月29日. Luckily, it will be done at my local clinic and obviously they have all my medical records!
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

multiple occurrences of the poison Ivy/Oak experience
Fortunately not something we get this side of the pond. But I do remember playing golf with a close friend in Ottawa. We were in the woods looking for his ball (bad hook) and he didn't tell me about the stuff!!!
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lert wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 am Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D
Wait another 7 to 8 hours or so :-)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:26 am My wife and I have both had our first shot of Pfizer/BioNTech this morning (I wasn't scheduled, but was allowed to participate anyway). So far only a stiff arm.

Looking forward to giving bloody COVID the finger. :mrgreen:
Best of luck.
Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

rene wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:03 am
Lert wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 am Had my first dose of AstraZeneca an hour or so ago. All good so far. :D
Wait another 7 to 8 hours or so :-)
Indeed! At 8 hours had sore throat and woke this morning with the symptoms of a head cold. Otherwise ok..
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lert wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:12 pm Indeed! At 8 hours had sore throat and woke this morning with the symptoms of a head cold. Otherwise ok..
Yes, symptoms are/will be mild and die off quickly again (probably except the sore arm, which tends to take a few days) and the more of them you have, the fuller the vaccine managed to train your immune system, so yippieyayee and all, let's say :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rene wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 am
Lert wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:12 pm Indeed! At 8 hours had sore throat and woke this morning with the symptoms of a head cold. Otherwise ok..
Yes, symptoms are/will be mild and die off quickly again (probably except the sore arm, which tends to take a few days) and the more of them you have, the fuller the vaccine managed to train your immune system, so yippieyayee and all, let's say :)
That's not true.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/if-y ... -working/

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/disc ... -covid-19/
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Fair enough. What I should have said is "the fuller you know the vaccine managed [etc.]" (but do otherwise note that saying that "symptom implies good" is logically different from "no symptom implies no good" if that is what you thought I said).
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:39 pm
rene wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 am
That's not true.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/if-y ... -working/
I love the name of the writer of that article, haha. Thaddeus Stappenbeck, that sounds delightfully pompous. :lol:

But it's a good article. Useful for me, because I have been vaccinated with Pfizer/BioNTech, i.e. an mRNA vaccine, which is what the article is about.

But not so useful for people who were vaccinated with either Janssen or Astra Zeneca (like Lert and possibly also like rene), because those aren't mRNA vaccines. Both Astra Zeneca and Janssen use a more traditional technique for the transmission, namely an innocent cold virus (adenovirus).

So with them you're supposed to feel a bit under the weather after the vaccination (which is a sign that it's doing its job). You should feel like you've caught a mild cold.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:14 pm But not so useful for people who were vaccinated with either Janssen or Astra Zeneca (like Lert and possibly also like rene)
What tipped you off? ;-)

Had every bloody side-effect listed on the "most common side-effects" list for AstraZeneca and not very mildly either. Aaauw.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

rene wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:19 pm
Pjotr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:14 pm But not so useful for people who were vaccinated with either Janssen or Astra Zeneca (like Lert and possibly also like rene)
What tipped you off? ;-)

Had every bloody side-effect listed on the "most common side-effects" list for AstraZeneca and not very mildly either. Aaauw.
Nasty. Oh well, still better than getting COVID-19, I suppose.... :mrgreen:

But especially Astra Zeneca is notorious for relatively heavy side effects. That may have something to do with what I wrote about earlier:
viewtopic.php?p=2011538#p2011538

I think it's safe to say that it's a B-class vaccine. Not bad, but certainly not first class either.

Personally I think that Janssen is probably the best (single shot and all). But my choice was either Pfizer right now, or having to wait a couple of months for Janssen. Didn't feel like waiting any more.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm But especially Astra Zeneca is notorious for relatively heavy side effects. That may have something to do with what I wrote about earlier:
viewtopic.php?p=2011538#p2011538
Interesting. Yes, "blunt" seems to nicely coincide with my personal experience here. And, yes, I'm fine with it as COVID would be more than an inconvenience, serious or otherwise.

But, still, damn... :)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pjotr wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:27 pm Personally I think that Janssen is probably the best (single shot and all). But my choice was either Pfizer right now, or having to wait a couple of months for Janssen. Didn't feel like waiting any more.
Being a younger flatulent geriatric, I was in the second group eligible for the shots. Based on the information available back then, I initially wanted to get the Moderna vaccine (Pfizer and Moderna were the only ones available then) but happily took what was offered to me--Pfizer--just so I could get shot as soon as possible (based on current data, it turns out Pfizer was the better choice but any of them beat the big, fat, holy, hairy heck out of none, leaving one susceptible to getting Covid).
Jeannie

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The only thing that troubles me a bit is: are there long-term negative side effects from using mRNA vaccines like Pfizer and Moderna?

A question that cannot be answered, as vaccines using mRNA technique have never been applied before. So that's a bit of a concern to me.

On the short term, nothing can beat them. Because traditionally built vaccines like Astra Zeneca and Janssen do have a short-term risk of thrombosis, albeit very small. A short-term risk that mRNA vaccines don't have at all. Furthermore, as mRNA vaccines don't use another virus as carrier (like those traditionally built vaccines do), the immediate side effects are much more benign as well.

But for the long term, those traditionally built vaccines seem like a safer bet.

Oh well, I already have Pfizer's mRNA in my body, so I'll just have to wait and see. Que sera, sera. :mrgreen:
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

Getting my second vaccine today. should be good, hope I'm not too bad after it.

Return to “Open Chat”