Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Off this morning for first covid 19 vaccine jab

Post by ugly »

I got my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday.

I haven't had any side effects. Same as the 1st shot. My arm is a little sore, but only if I lift it above shoulder height, which was the same as for the 1st dose.

I didn't have anything like chills, headache or fatigue.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

ugly wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:51 pm I got my 2nd Pfizer shot yesterday.
I haven't had any side effects. Same as the 1st shot. My arm is a little sore, but only if I lift it above shoulder height, which was the same as for the 1st dose.
I didn't have anything like chills, headache or fatigue.
Likewise, and not even a sore arm - 2 x pfizer.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Good morning, folks.

Had bored you stiff with the story of my first jab (Astra Zeneca) way back in May []. Had announced the second jab were going happen in the middle of August. But virologists and doctors changed their recommendations based on available data. As a result the second jab happened 10 days ago, in the middle of July: BionTec/Phizer.
The combination of 1. Astra Zeneca + 2. BionTec/Phizer is supposed to result in better protection also from the delta variant.
We will learn how well this will work.

The real trouble now, however, is:
At the beginning of 2021, the number of people willing to get vaccinated was higher than the available amount of vaccination doses.
Now in the middle of the year, it is exactly the other way round. At least in the industrialized countries, sufficient amounts of vaccination doses are available, but the number of people willing to get vaccinated has dropped.
Seems too many people have forgotten what happened when autumn and winter arrived last year.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

karlchen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 am Good morning, folks.

Had bored you stiff with the story of my first jab (Astra Zeneca) way back in May []. Had announced the second jab were going happen in the middle of August. But virologists and doctors changed their recommendations based on available data. As a result the second jab happened 10 days ago, in the middle of July: BionTec/Phizer.
The combination of 1. Astra Zeneca + 2. BionTec/Phizer is supposed to result in better protection also from the delta variant.
We will learn how well this will work.
Did you have any negative side effects after your second shot?
karlchen wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:29 am The real trouble, however, is:
At the beginning of 2021, the number of people willing to get vaccinated was higher than the available amount of vaccination doses.
Now in the middle of the year, it is exactly the other way round. At least in the industrialized countries, sufficient amounts of vaccination doses are available, but the number of people willing to get vaccinated has dropped.
Seems too many people have forgotten what happened when autumn and winter arrived last year.
No real problem, if you ask me.... All adults who wanted to be vaccinated, have been vaccinated now. The unvaccinated are either extremely low-risk (children, who are highly unlikely to become seriously ill) or adults who have willingly accepted the risk. That's fine: infections are only a problem when they lead to huge amounts of hospitalizations. That probably won't happen any more.

The virus is here to stay: humanity will simply have to learn to live with it. Only some general measures regarding ventilation and air purification need to be maintained/implemented. For the rest, with the current protection percentage in the population: let our freedoms return! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Pjotr.

The side effects caused by the second jab (Biontec/Phizer) interestingly were almost the same as those caused by the first jab (Astra Zeneca). [] They started around 8 or 9 hours after the injection. But this time the symptoms were much much milder than after the first jab. And they disappeared within 12 hours, after they had started. It was like a mild and very brief flu. :)

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am ...infections are only a problem when they lead to huge amounts of hospitalizations. That probably won't happen any more...
Parts of the SSA are starting to see huge amounts of hospitalizations. All parts are seeing increases.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 am ...infections are only a problem when they lead to huge amounts of hospitalizations. That probably won't happen any more...
Parts of the SSA are starting to see huge amounts of hospitalizations. All parts are seeing increases.
Even then: how many of those hospitalizations are vaccine avoiders? If the vast majority belongs to that group: should we put our societies back into lockdown for them, or should we simply say that they have to lie in the bed they've made for themselves (pun intended)?

Interesting article:
https://nypost.com/2021/07/25/californi ... -covid-19/

Key quote:
“Virtually every single person that is getting sick enough to be admitted to the hospital has not been vaccinated,” Friedman told KCBS-TV.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 am Parts of the SSA are starting to see huge amounts of hospitalizations. All parts are seeing increases.
some parts of NSW are also crashing, as well . . VIC isn't much better . .

thus, here in W.A. is still the safest part of the country, ATM.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:37 am
Even then: how many of those hospitalizations are vaccine avoiders? If the vast majority belongs to that group: should we put our societies back into lockdown for them, or should we simply say that they have to lie in the bed they've made for themselves (pun intended)?

Interesting article:
https://nypost.com/2021/07/25/californi ... -covid-19/

Key quote:
“Virtually every single person that is getting sick enough to be admitted to the hospital has not been vaccinated,” Friedman told KCBS-TV.
Pretty much all news sources here (and some abroad) say the vast majority of hospitalizations are the unvaccinated. The relatively rare breakthrough infections (the infections occurring among those fully vaccinated) have been fairly mild.

Other than in the most heavily hit areas, I do not feel (disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and my feelings are based on what doctors have said) full lockdowns should be necessary but masking and social distancing should revert to being mandatory. Every time countries have "opened up", there have been surges in infection rates and deaths. With the especially easily spread Delta variant, the surge that has started up already is promising to be another doozie like last summer's surge.

The problem of letting the antivaxxers "lie in the bed they've made for themselves" is that they increase the chances for breakthrough infections for those who are fully vaccinated and create a breeding ground for new variants, possibly worse than Delta or more resistant to the current vaccines.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am Even then: how many of those hospitalizations are vaccine avoiders? If the vast majority belongs to that group: should we put our societies back into lockdown for them, or should we simply say that they have to lie in the bed they've made for themselves (pun intended)?
It's a valid question, but beyond the narrow scope of this thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Moem wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:05 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:11 am Even then: how many of those hospitalizations are vaccine avoiders? If the vast majority belongs to that group: should we put our societies back into lockdown for them, or should we simply say that they have to lie in the bed they've made for themselves (pun intended)?
It's a valid question, but beyond the narrow scope of this thread.
In the UK, 4 out of 10 who are hospitalised have been 'double jabbed'. How many of the other six have had one jab isn't mentioned.

https://theconversation.com/covid-the-r ... ing-164797

But 'bed' puns are soured by the fact that we're not yet in 'normal' flu season; when we are then hospitalisations may rise sharply - and that's what lock down is all about - making sure that our health services can cope.

I'm now reporting this thread.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Pjotr wrote in
viewtopic.php?p=2045003#p2045003
"The virus is here to stay: humanity will simply have to learn to live with it."
If it means like living with polio before the vaccine was available? Or after the polio vaccine?
https://www.nbcnews.com/healthmain/60-y ... 2d11641456
I'm very glad that they lined us up in grammar school and we all had our sugar cubes dosed with a drop of polio vaccine.
I also wish that the MMR was available in my childhood. In the first grade I caught whatever childhood disease that was going around in my school. Get over one then get the next one and then the next one. I lived through them but with currently available vaccines no child has to live trough any of that.
I say Covid-19 may be here but we don't have to learn with it. It can be eradicated or so minimized that it can be just an afterthought, like polio. In order to achieve that a very large percentage of the population has to vaccinated.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

We have a clear winner (scales 0 to 10)

Code: Select all

AstraZeneca	Pfizer/BioNTech
Pain inj. site/arm	8		3
Tiredness		7		8
Headache		8		8
Muscle pain		7		7
Chills/shivers		8		2
Fever			6		4
Nausea			6		4
General malaise		4		8
			--		--
			54		44
Goz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Goz »

rumpus wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:15 am I signed up for the vaccine and got called up last night to get the shot today.
nd out.

I'll post the side effects if anyone is interested.....rumpus
I had the Pfiser one. Mild side effects.
Think of Windows 10 as Hotel California for computers.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I got my third Pfizer poke this morning. Arm slightly sore, and I felt mildly blah-ish for a couple of hours. I will be in line for a 4th booster if necessary or recommended. Next month I will get the shingles shot, and the month after that I will get the flu shot.

I still wear a proper mask in public, and I wear it properly.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

My mom was making an appointment with her rheumatologist around the time word came out of getting boosters. She asked them about it which she apparently did not before getting her first two shots. She takes methotrexate and the doctor's office told her not to take it the week she gets the booster so it does not counteract the effects of the booster. :shock: She did not know about that (or do it) with the first two shots so it's a good thing she's soon be getting another jab.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Just had my first poke in the arm on Thursday, it was Moderna. The side effects were what was expected, pain in the injection arm, tiredness and the chills. Nothing too radical.
I live in a rural area, the closest neighbor is at least a mile away. I wasn't too worried about contracting the virus from human interaction. Sure I go to town every couple weeks but I tried to be very diligent about masks and sanitizing.
My roomie has a federal job and is being legislated into the shots. Not a big deal in this household. I got the shot because, why the he77 not...
This is a close knit community and is very divided on the issue. You have to be careful what you say and who you say it to. For example, I mentioned my first shot to a friend of my sister and got a conspiracy speech for ten minutes. LoL
I'm glad it's done and can't wait for the second shot in three weeks. I get my vaccination record 'flash card' and can eat in a restaurant if I want to.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I just got my Pfizer booster a couple of hours ago. So far, no side effects (yet).
Jeannie

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

My parents had their booster several weeks ago. Other than being able to set up the appointment and having to come back a different day, I don't recall them mentioning any issues. They also had Pfizer (which was what their original shots were).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

SMG wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:39 pm My parents had their booster several weeks ago. Other than being able to set up the appointment and having to come back a different day, I don't recall them mentioning any issues. They also had Pfizer (which was what their original shots were).
My biggest issue was trying to navigate the AZ State website to get information on where and when to get the shot. It was full of misinformation and spam so I got nowhere.

Today, I went to Wally World (aka Walmart) to pick up my prescriptions and, on a hunch, asked about getting the booster. I had to go back home to get my card but I had no trouble getting the shot. It took almost an hour because they were busy, they had to prepare the shot, and then there was the 15 minute wait afterwards to make sure I didn't do something inconvenient or embarrassing, such as dying. Otherwise, it was a breeze. Fortunately, I had the good sense to bring a book.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”