VPN

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Simon_linux_mint

VPN

Post by Simon_linux_mint »

Hi

Does anyone use vpn here..

Any good free vpns ? Or should i pay ?

Is it worth it ?

I am greatful for any info
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Re: VPN

Post by jackkileen »

You can start here... https://thebestvpn.com/resources/
A lot of reading but being informed is critical to better know exactly what VPN's are, can do, can't do, etc.

vpns.jpg
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

This topic comes up often and has been answered often - unfortunately there is no easy way to "search" the forum for the topic "VPN."

There is a myriad of opinions on VPNs from, why bother to BIG Brother conspiracy theories. Not only that everyone that uses a VPN, me included has a favorite - mine is PrivateTunnel (partnered with the OpenVPN project) - so take that for what it's worth.

Let's get something out of the way - A VPN is not going to protect you from any of the "Five Eyes" you know like the NSA, state actors like China, Russia, Iran etc. or even really sophisticated black hat hackers. Also you can use VPN servers outside your country and that may or may not preclude law enforcement from gaining information about your Internet usage.

Since none of the above is a concern to me I only use a VPN for privacy - I don't think on principal my ISP should get to follow me around the Internet and then sell my data. Also I want some level of security when doing online banking and shopping etc. But the reality is at some point you have to trust somebody - a VPN is only encrypted from you to the VPN so in the end what ever VPN provider you choose you are trusting.

I found the "free" VPN's performance lacking and obviously they have to make $$ somehow . . . . selling your data ? ? ? ? I don't know but at any rate the free VPNs were way too slow. I picked subscription VPN ($7/month) that is easy to use in the USA so the servers are relatively close and I experience no service degradation - my speed is about the same with or without my VPN on.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

My main usage of my VPN account is for my phone and my laptop when I'm on the road.
I wouldn't dream of connecting to an open wifi network (like many business establishments offer) without my VPN running.
Lert
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lert »

I have ProtonVPN (free version) installed which seems to work pretty well. Only three countries (USA, Japan and The Netherlands) but was good enough for me to 'relocate' myself. The installation is via. the terminal but the Proton instructions are explicit. You operate via the Connections popup on the Panel. There is no GUI apart from that.
You may ask why the French eat snails.. It's because they don't like fast food..
Sally01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sally01 »

A friend has Linux and for him he used a free VPN and only 3 countries with several clogged and overloaded servers were available. I do not like the layout of Linux itself, although there may be more free good VPN, since it seems to me that they use the Windows operating system more than Linux, and so I downloaded a paid VPN. I have already tried the free versions, but the servers are so busy that I did not bother and found a good article on netflix-vpn.com, where VPN-s were used to view large content on netflix. Really good ones, suitable for me on such a platform.
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

I use a paid VPN; with TorGuard.
I pay around £3.50 every month.

I use WireGuard as the protocol.

It's good, servers are nice and fast and their support is great.

I've tried free VPN's in the past but don't trust them with my data. :)

Return to “Open Chat”