How many distro's have you tried before and after coming to mint?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GNULinux
Level 4
Level 4

How many distro's have you tried before and after coming to mint?

Post by GNULinux »

i like trying out new distro's (though i never use them for more than a day or two :mrgreen: )
so, what all distors have you tried before/after coming to mint?
and do you still try out new distros just out of curiosity?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hp 250-G6 Notebook PC 15.6"
intel core i3-7020u 4GB DDR4 RAM 1TB Hard Disk (1.5 Yrs old)
Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa"
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How many distro's have you tried before and after coming to mint?

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

None before. One after (Ubuntu: not impressed).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

- around 3 -4 distro's
- over ten years, ago
:)

now, just the two Linux Systems . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

Started with Ubuntu 8.10 (a long time ago), then switched to Mint, then back to Ubuntu until they went to Unity, then added Gnome on top of Ubuntu, then back to Windows for a few years, then to Pop!_OS, and back to Mint. I came back because Mint just works.. and of course, life is much better than ever on Linux in 2021, as stuff works in a way that it never used to.
GNULinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GNULinux »

i haven't distro hopped like others but i have tried a lot in virtualbox or live environment

i have tried ubuntu,manjaro,mint,deepin,ubuntu kylin,boss linux,linux lite,puppy linux,android x86,primeos,bliss os, cloudready,arya linux,superX,nixos,solus,pop! os,elementary os, endaevouros, kde neon,zorin os,lubuntu,raspbian,clear linux

i guess i have tried someother distros too, many more to try out :lol:

out of all these, i don't even remember which all were good which were not

but still i wou :lol: ld say my favourite ones are mint,manjaro,boss linux,puppy,raspbian,primeos,deepin even endaevor and elementray,cloudready were good

rest were not of my taste
still i wont say if i would like them now or not

i tried all this in a month or so, i guess :mrgreen:
hp 250-G6 Notebook PC 15.6"
intel core i3-7020u 4GB DDR4 RAM 1TB Hard Disk (1.5 Yrs old)
Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa"
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I haven't kept count. I don't stick to Debian based and have used RHEL variants, SUSE and the latter OpenSUSE (which I still use), Arch derivatives, Ubuntu and it's flavours, derivatives of Ubuntu, DragonflyBSD as well.

The grass is always greener? Not really but it's good to see what is available and carry new findings back if possible to the distribution I am using on a regular basis.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

My first ventures in Linux started around the time RH 5.0 was released. I was considering making a move from OS/2, and I wanted to avoid Windows. I recall trying Red Hat, Slackware (praise Bob), SUSE, Caldera Linux, Corel Linux, Mandrake, and Debian. Eventually moved to WinXP because it was pre-installed on my new system and it was more compatible with work.

I made the switch to Linux when WinXP hit EOL. I tried several distributions: all of the flavors of Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (which I really like), CentOS, and Linux Mint. I decided to go with one based on Debian, and I chose LM because I really liked the forums.

Since moving to Linux I have continued to try/use other distributions and OSes - that list includes the Ubuntus, CentOS, OpenSUSE, AntiX, MX Linux, and ReactOS. I have AntiX installed to an old laptop, CentOS is on one of my ThinkCentres, and I am trying to get Arch to install on an old Macbook Pro.

I continue to stick with LM because it is stable to the point of being boring. If I left it would be to either Ubuntu or Debian.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

i also started with Red Hat 4 or 5 many years ago, and have tried and/or used dozens since then. Currently I'm using a desktop with Kubuntu installed. My file server runs on Debian, HTPC OpenElec and a few laptops around the house that are running BusnenLabs, MX Linux, OpenSuse, LMDE, and Debian. Still mess around with new stuff in VirtualBox pretty much all the time.
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RickyRaccoon »

None before, but my old Acer, and a very slow Emachine I have laying around, I've tried Lubuntu, Zorin Lite, antiX...

Keep coming back to Mint. And Cinnamon. I've tried xfce but don't care for it. I likes my Cinnamon. Lubuntu always winds up pissing me off, Zorin just don't feel right, and antiX is only good to me if I have something I really need to squeeze every available kilobyte out of RAM...
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

GNULinux wrote: so, what all distors have you tried before/after coming to mint?
If I remember correctly, speaking to "daily drivers" and not random experiments, it was Debian, Red Hat (pre-Fedora), Fedora, and Ubuntu.

To identify all the ones that I literally tried before LM would be an impossible task for me, as that was some time ago.
GNULinux wrote:and do you still try out new distros just out of curiosity?
Absolutely, and I wouldn't be able to count them, let alone tell you what they were. :)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I started using Linux in 1995 or there about. Started with Slackware - Remember installing it over a week or so with 15 or so floppy discs. Then moved to Redhat about version 3.x , Mandrake, Yellowdog and some others that are no longer with us. Settled on Debian around 1998 or so and used that as my daily driver until Ubuntu was released and used that for awhile. Also about that time use Suse for awhile. Used and still do at times PClinuxOS. Moved to Vector Linux and stayed with that for many years also. But as it was fading turned to Mint and have been here off and on ever since. Still occasionally try other distros just to see what they are up to.
But Mint has been my go to Distro for some time now.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
berndinger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by berndinger »

1996 Suse Linux
2003 Mandrake later Mandriva (very good distro)
2014 Mint 17
always mint until now
now Mint 20.01 Cinnamon
But I fiddled around with
Redhat, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu (Unity meh.... and later Gnome..)

And I think, I will stay with mint, at least for a long time...
Only "problem": Cant decide between UbuntuMint and LMDE (4)
:D
cheers,
Bernd
Linux Mint, what else....
Walterjnr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Walterjnr »

berndinger wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:17 am 2003 Mandrake later Mandriva (very good distro)
I really liked Mandrake too. I've tried many over the years (Suse, Mandrake, Debian, Ubuntu flavours, Fedora) but usually go back to Windows for some reason or another. It used to be because of specific software that I needed or a driver that I couldn't find but these days with everything cloud based it isn't such an issue. So far I really like Mint and don't see myself needing to go back to Windows anytime soon.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

I did a lot of reading about various distros. Chose LM as my first choice to try out and have not looked back. It is everything I need. Short answer Zero.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
sreesog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sreesog »

Redhat based - Fedora,
Debian based - Zorin, Kali, Parrot, Ubendu,
Arch based Garuda Cinnomon, Garuda Dragonized
All of them are good even though many are tough for beginners. But when I noticed that Mint got my wifi even from USB I decided that I will go for it. Further I was looking for a distro backed by a stable team, has a stable desktop, point release etc, and therefore Mint became my choice. And now in Mint too I would prefer the LMDE path since I don't like Cannonical. Will keep an eye on Garuda Cinnomon as well, but regarding the rest, I am not much interested in them any more. As of now Linux Mint Cinnomon Desktop is my daily driver, and I am still learning.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

I did a lot of distro hopping in the early 2000s. Fedora, Corel, Open SUSE to name a few. The only one I really liked at the time was Ubuntu, Corel was a close second (it was a shame it died a quick death IMHO). I didn't stick with Linux because I was too busy looking after Windows based systems to learn something new. I did order 20 free install discs from the company to give to people/customers to try the live system and see what they think. However, the package showed up in a bundle of tape with the contents destroyed (all the discs were loose, very badly scratched and broken). I never did figure out what happened. I chocked it up to someone trying to see if there was contraband in them. 8) They were coming from overseas so who knows.

I was looking for something to help me negate the Windows supremacy in my life and voila, I found Mint. I haven't looked back. I have live booted a couple others since then but nothing compares to Mint.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:04 pm My first ventures in Linux started around the time RH 5.0 was released. I was considering making a move from OS/2, and I wanted to avoid Windows. I recall trying Red Hat, Slackware (praise Bob), SUSE, Caldera Linux, Corel Linux, Mandrake, and Debian. Eventually moved to WinXP because it was pre-installed on my new system and it was more compatible with work.

I made the switch to Linux when WinXP hit EOL. I tried several distributions: all of the flavors of Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (which I really like), CentOS, and Linux Mint. I decided to go with one based on Debian, and I chose LM because I really liked the forums.

Since moving to Linux I have continued to try/use other distributions and OSes - that list includes the Ubuntus, CentOS, OpenSUSE, AntiX, MX Linux, and ReactOS. I have AntiX installed to an old laptop, CentOS is on one of my ThinkCentres, and I am trying to get Arch to install on an old Macbook Pro.

I continue to stick with LM because it is stable to the point of being boring. If I left it would be to either Ubuntu or Debian.
this sort of, is what happened with me.
I started with a Motorola 6800D2kit with a whole of 128 bytes of memory, a Hex Keypad, and a 2 digit display.
had to shift Registers to get it to add, subtract, take a different loop, etc.

then Tandy came along with the keyboard computer that used a TV set for the monitor.
lordy was the 300 baud audio tape slow to save/load Basic programs.

then MSDOS showed up, and I switched to that, still writing in Basic and some Machine code to drive modems, etc.

the first iteration of Windows as GUI was not impressive, but what else what there?
I could not afford a Geniac, or one of those other things you had to push/pull plugs in/out of jacks to program it.

I liked WinXP and when it was EOL, I decided I need to learn Linux.....
back then, nothing was simple and with me being an IT support person in civil government, we were required to use Windows at home to be able to access the office server to administrator the 911 call system when it broke.

elementary OS and PClinux are the only two that I can remember now out of the slew of distros that I downloaded.... none were easy to use.... I gave up in disgust.

then I retired and wanted something that did not go Blue Screen....
again, I downloaded every distro I could find, and when I found LM 17.1 Cinnamon, I was hooked.
the Mint support forum was a huge factor in my decision making.

goodbye Windows.

I have been thru all of the LM distros since, always end up on Cinnamon, I don't mind spending enough money to allow Cinnamon to run just as fast as Mate or XCFE, plus I like that it is fully fledged out with all of the utilities that I want immediately.

Now, I use only the LM x.3 versions for daily drivers, so I am on 19.3 Cinnamon now.

20.1 is on a spare laptop so that I can look at it once in a while, but it just does not feel good to me yet.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I started looking at Linux options when Windows XP reached EOL (though I had a laptop with Win7 which I kept in use simply to access a few specific software options).

I began my Linux journey by looking at 'rolling' distros (as I had become very fed up with the constant updating and then version-replacement of OSs that is such a tedious aspect of Windows). I spent some time with PCLinuxOS - which incidentally I still have in dual boot with my current Mint XFCE setup). The PCLinuxOS community and forum are both very supportive.

I dabbled briefly with Zorin, mainly because, at the time (some 5 years ago) it was clearly aimed at Windows XP users. But there were still some rough edges with Zorin, so I started exploring other distros. I tried Lubuntu only very briefly and didn't find it to my taste.

This led me to Linux Lite... which I liked (and it has a good forum), to Linux Mint, and to MXLinux. I installed Solydx on an older computer just out of interest, and that, too, works OK. My priorities have always been stability, reliability, not-too-heavy a CPU load, and the XFCE desktop environment, with good community forums also an important aspect. Mint has in effect become my default OS (I have 19.1 and 19.3 on my laptops).

The only other option I haven't yet explored - but am seriously considering - is the Debian-based alternative, LMDE4 - since I am not entirely persuaded that relying on Ubuntu is the best long-term strategy. But I haven't yet gone down that route.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

GNULinux wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 am i like trying out new distro's (though i never use them for more than a day or two :mrgreen: )
so, what all distors have you tried before/after coming to mint?
1. Red Hat Linux (before RHEL)
2. Oracle Linux
3. Fedora
4. Ubuntu
5. Finally LM
and do you still try out new distros just out of curiosity?
For several years I had LM dualbooted with PCLinuxOS. Now only LM.
Just for curiosity I had MX Linux abd Debian in VirtualBox. Then I asked myself "why do I need them?" and deleted it both.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hmm...let's see.

Ubuntu
Linux Lite
Puppy Linux

Return to “Open Chat”