Laptop battery exchange - again - now what?

Chat about just about anything else
CarrotCake
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Laptop battery exchange - again - now what?

Post by CarrotCake »

Hi all,

It really wasn't my attention to cause a topic with ranting back and forth.
Please don't do that on my behalf :|

I am happy I started this topic as, apparently, it is a topic that is interesting enough to have a discussion about.
But I don't really have come a lot closer to a definitive answer, as there seems to be a lack of consensus about the best approach...

I do not know if I can check whether my (or original OEM) battery has a BMS, but given it's relatively new, ánd I come across references of BMS in HP batteries in general, I'm going to assume, for now, perhaps mistakenly so, that (at least an original) battery does have a BMS integrated.

If the BMS performs as designed, which seems a reasonable assumption, I should trust the BMS does the best job in charging the battery.

So what I'm going to do is that I'll keep it on charger if possible, but I will not carry around an extension cord for that purpose :)
On the other hand, the idea of having a laptop instead of a desktop is also about portability, so I will use the battery of course when I'm not able to charge.
But I will take care that I will not try to let the battery deplete too far, even when the BMS should protect the battery.
Running Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon on an HP Envy laptop with i5-6200U processor and a mere 4GB RAM.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:18 am

And still my Lenovo batteries lost over half their capacity in three or four years.
Depending on use, that's not atypical.
CarrotCake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarrotCake »

OK, a small addition to my initial question...

I'm typing on the laptop right now, and it's sitting at 0% charge for at least 10 mins already (and no, I don't have it plugged in :mrgreen: ).
So, maybe, my battery isn't that bad, but the notification of the actual residual power is wrong. I never let it run this low, it never shut down b/c of an empty battery that is.

I'm going to leave it running until dead, for now, and see what that brings... I know that in Windows there was some procedure to calibrate a battery, I don't know if Linux Mint has something similar??
Running Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon on an HP Envy laptop with i5-6200U processor and a mere 4GB RAM.
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

Your laptop firmware handles that readout calibration element and depleting the battery entirely then charging it to 100% should help but don't do it too often.
CarrotCake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarrotCake »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:16 pm
Your laptop firmware handles that readout calibration element and depleting the battery entirely then charging it to 100% should help but don't do it too often.
I haven't done this even once I think - it is purely coincidental that this is happening now.
Maybe this solves my issue anyway :)
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

Possibly, there's more about manual battery calibration on the HP website.
CarrotCake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CarrotCake »

Just wanted to post a small update...

Apparently, indeed the calibration of the battery is off.
I have now done two complete cycles of full charge and complete discharge -- meaning I don't attach the charger and let de battery drain until <5%, then I shutdown Mint and enter the BIOS until the laptop is completely out of juice.

Before I did this, TLPUI reported a battery capacity of 38% of designed specs; after the first cycle it went up to 55%, and now, after the 2nd cycle, it went up again to 68%. Of course, I don't think the battery itself gets a higher capacity; I just think it now better shows the actual capacity/level.
I will do this some more times to get it back >80% or until the percentage doesn't change that much anymore. I reckon that when these percentages are closer to reality, the actual run time until the percentage in Mint shows <20% will be a lot better as well.
lexon
Level 6
Level 6

Post by lexon »

I might not be any help but I just order from Amazon depending on reviews. I always leave the laptop plugged in.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

Return to “Open chat”