Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am
Jukeboxer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:50 pm Everything dies. Computers too
A $3000+ computer dying after only 10-11 months is inexcusable.
I completely agree! Even though we live in a disposable world, that is completely ridiculous.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:21 am
RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am My workshop has a rug where I work and with bare feet, as usual, the screws can be found without damaging the feet, plus it tends to slow the bounce distance. Despite that it is surprising at times how far they can go.

The alternative is a powerful magnet waved around.
I usually find my wife's pins and needles that she drops by ramming my bare foot into them.
Fortunately I usually see them glinting from a light first and pick them up. Usually they are closer to the sewing machine than I am.

As for screw bounce distance on carpet, I had one a couple of days ago that dashed off under a table a surprising distance. Plus it was very small and black.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Jukeboxer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:15 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:35 am
Jukeboxer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:50 pm Everything dies. Computers too
A $3000+ computer dying after only 10-11 months is inexcusable.
This is technology. I'm sorry you learnt the bad way. You must buy things you can afford their sudden death.
That is one of the most ridiculous things I ever heard! :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Jukeboxer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm
Jukeboxer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:15 pm

This is technology. I'm sorry you learnt the bad way. You must buy things you can afford their sudden death.

ok, go buy again something expensive
So, I'm wrong to expect quality from more expensive merchandise?

Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent how much a computer costs; it should last one heck of a lot longer than 10-11 months!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:52 pm
Jukeboxer wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:18 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm

ok, go buy again something expensive
So, I'm wrong to expect quality from more expensive merchandise?

Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent how much a computer costs; it should last one heck of a lot longer than 10-11 months!
Completely agree with you here.
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent........

:lol: :lol:
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

csqwared wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:47 pm Frankly, I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent........

:lol: :lol:
Well, I did have to make it moderator acceptable. :wink:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It still stinks that your system went down, hope you have a spare....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 am It still stinks that your system went down, hope you have a spare....
I do have a spare--it's what I'm using right now--but it doesn't hold a candle to the System 76 machine that died.

On to other news (I'm sure you all are tired of me saying that)... I wasn't able to get the deceased shipped out until yesterday thanks to my *&^%$#@! allergies being a real stinker (extremely polite terminology). I went to only four places yesterday. The heaviest thing I handled all day was the computer I shipped back--14 lb.--and this morning, my upper back and right shoulder are killing me. Forget the Senior discounts, I want my youth back!
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:26 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 am It still stinks that your system went down, hope you have a spare....
I do have a spare--it's what I'm using right now--but it doesn't hold a candle to the System 76 machine that died.

On to other news (I'm sure you all are tired of me saying that)... I wasn't able to get the deceased shipped out until yesterday thanks to my *&^%$#@! allergies being a real stinker (extremely polite terminology). I went to only four places yesterday. The heaviest thing I handled all day was the computer I shipped back--14 lb.--and this morning, my upper back and right shoulder are killing me. Forget the Senior discounts, I want my youth back!
When you get it back, check to make sure it is clean. The Darter Pro came back covered in dust, with keys not working. The second time it came back pristine.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:31 am ...When you get it back, check to make sure it is clean. The Darter Pro came back covered in dust, with keys not working. The second time it came back pristine.
Thanks for the heads up.

It sounds to me like they returned a used machine or a new one that had been setting on a shelf for a while instead of fixing yours.
Jeannie

antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Don't they have serial numbers on them anywhere? If not, one way to see if you get the same machine back or not is mark them somewhere discrete with a small dot pattern of UV ink or permanent marker. If it's not there when you get the machine back you know why.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

antikythera wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:21 pm Don't they have serial numbers on them anywhere? If not, one way to see if you get the same machine back or not is mark them somewhere discrete with a small dot pattern of UV ink or permanent marker. If it's not there when you get the machine back you know why.
Yes, they do have serial numbers. In the case of my machine, I had to give System 76 the serial number of my machine to get an RMA issued (understandable). One of the first things I do when I get a new product is to record the serial number. Usually, I take a picture of the tag with the part number, serial number, etc. to ensure there are no copying errors (it's also easier and I'm lazy).

The way I sticker bombed my machine (various Tux stickers and labels with terminal commands), it will be easy to see if I get the same machine back or not. Considering that they discontinued my machine two or three months after I bought it (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble), it's not likely they will replace it with another one.
Jeannie

HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pm My idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a year (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet). I was using it this morning an it just shut down and now it just sits there and laughs at me.
Just curious but did you ever suspect/check the power supply? Maybe it died and ran on the battery until it finally gave up.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

HaveaMint wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:37 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pm My idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a year (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet). I was using it this morning an it just shut down and now it just sits there and laughs at me.
Just curious but did you ever suspect/check the power supply? Maybe it died and ran on the battery until it finally gave up.
Good suggestion! However, after being unable to replace the battery on a Lenovo because Lenovo discontinued them and had DRMed their batteries so an aftermarket battery wouldn't work with it and rubbed salt into the wound by posting a message saying so when I tried it, bless their hearts (you southerners will know what I actually meant by that :wink: ), I had the foresight to order a spare battery and a spare PSU which turned out to be doubly fortunate. First, I was able to keep one PSU and the extra battery in the laptop case I got for it so I they were already packed and handy when I get to hit the road again (stupid pandemic) and Velcro the other one to the side of the desk so I could keep it and the cables off the floor to make cleaning the floor under and behind my desk much easier for a decrepit, flatulent geriatric like me (a small shop blower works quite well for that). Second, since they had discontinued the computer shortly after I bought it and no longer list the PSU and battery on their website, I already have a spare of each should I ever need them.

Sadly, I tried firing up the laptop with the spare PSU and it still just sat there and silently (not to mention infuriatingly) laughed at me.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:31 am ...When you get it back, check to make sure it is clean. The Darter Pro came back covered in dust, with keys not working. The second time it came back pristine.
Thanks for the heads up.

It sounds to me like they returned a used machine or a new one that had been setting on a shelf for a while instead of fixing yours.
I almost thought so, but my stickers were still on the machine, so I am fairly sure it was mine. I think.....
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 pm That's tough luck about the computer, but all electronic gadgets die eventually. I'm surprised you didn't have a backup of the passwords. I thought you were keen on backups.
In under a year!??? That would get me ranting, right good!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any updates?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 am Any updates?
Not yet. Today they will have had it for a week. When I got the RMA, they said it might take a while longer due to the pandemic. While the pandemic has caused a lot of problems for businesses, I've gotten sick and tired of many of them automatically blaming it for problems that existed before the pandemic or even new ones that cropped up since the start of the pandemic (seriously, they have had up to a year to figure out how to deal with the pandemic). Every time I've been given that reason for a problem and I pushed back hard enough, they would break down and admit it wasn't the pandemic or the pandemic was only partially the reason.

OK, rant over. If I don't hear anything from them soon, I'm going to send them a polite nastygram.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:38 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 am Any updates?
Not yet. Today they will have had it for a week. When I got the RMA, they said it might take a while longer due to the pandemic. While the pandemic has caused a lot of problems for businesses, I've gotten sick and tired of many of them automatically blaming it for problems that existed before the pandemic or even new ones that cropped up since the start of the pandemic (seriously, they have had up to a year to figure out how to deal with the pandemic). Every time I've been given that reason for a problem and I pushed back hard enough, they would break down and admit it wasn't the pandemic or the pandemic was only partially the reason.

OK, rant over. If I don't hear anything from them soon, I'm going to send them a polite nastygram.
Well I hope it gets back soon, and in working order. BTW their new AMD system came out, but it only has the same 49 w/hr battery as my Darter Pro instead of the 73 w/hr battery of the Lemur or new Darter.

Return to “Open Chat”