Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 am They probably long have already. Just keeping it so that she will at least not send it back a third time for a self-inflicted issue :)
LOL!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

rene wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:50 am They probably long have already. Just keeping it so that she will at least not send it back a third time for a self-inflicted issue :)
I'm really getting tired of your negativity towards me.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:52 am
I'm really getting tired of your negativity towards me.
Many of MY computer issues sadly are self inflicted. But that is the price of progress (at least for me). I might give MX linux AHS another try on the Darter Pro.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:52 am I'm really getting tired of your negativity towards me.
That wasn't negativity towards you. System 76 supplied the system with Ubuntu: it was only your own Mint installation on a different drive which they didn't even have the first time around that crapped out, and it's amazing service they even let you send it in again. As such your negativity towards System 76 on this relatively widely-read Linux forum has been annoying the eff out of me. So what do you say? You stop that part and I stop pointing out that it's your own fault and your own fault alone? Deal?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rene wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:49 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:52 am I'm really getting tired of your negativity towards me.
That wasn't negativity towards you. System 76 supplied the system with Ubuntu: it was only your own Mint installation on a different drive which they didn't even have the first time around that crapped out, and it's amazing service they even let you send it in again. As such your negativity towards System 76 on this relatively widely-read Linux forum has been annoying the eff out of me. So what do you say? You stop that part and I stop pointing out that it's your own fault and your own fault alone? Deal?
How about if you don't have anything helpful to say, quit being all high and mighty and just don't say anything?

As far as my comments about System 76 goes, how about all the incomplete or bad directions they have given me, automatically closing the latest ticket without bothering to tell me it was being closed, frequently stonewalling me, etc? Also, I'm not the only one here who has had problems with them.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am How about if you don't have anything helpful to say, quit being all high and mighty and just don't say anything?
You are denied. You have as said been dumping on System 76 constantly here, on this widely read Linux forum, as such, on this to them relevant medium. If you do not want to be publicly disagreed with do not post public statements such as that or certainly not as many. If you want it to stop: do so.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Rene: I too, had issues with System 76 repair staff. When my Darter Pro came back after it being bricked by their firmware update. Then when I got it back, it was dirty, the #2 key no longer worked, and the stopper for the SD card slot was missing. Because you have to remove the keyboard to open the back, they broke the keyboard when they were "repairing" the system. I have documented this in my thread on the laptop. So I understand her issues with System 76.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Fair enough. Not going to reread 7 pages of thread but I believe I saw this thread was on several occasions only continued "on invite" by you and/or others anyway which makes it somewhat better --- but I rather trigger on consumeritis. They this time did her a solid if they end up fixing an issue with her own Mint install, an install for which they have no responsibility whatsoever. Zero.

I'll stop defending them if they ship her's back dirty and/or with a broken keyboard and/or without any quantity of stoppers to speak of.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rene wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 am Fair enough. Not going to reread 7 pages of thread but I believe I saw this thread was on several occasions only continued "on invite" by you and/or others anyway which makes it somewhat better --- but I rather trigger on consumeritis. They this time did her a solid if they end up fixing an issue with her own Mint install, an install for which they have no responsibility whatsoever. Zero.

I'll stop defending them if they ship her's back dirty and/or with a broken keyboard and/or without any quantity of stoppers to speak of.
I understand. My Lemur Pro, I love that laptop, although the keyboard on the Darter Pro (the new one that replaced the one they broke) is probably the best keyboard I have ever used on a laptop. I was shocked when I got it back from them, it is almost like they tossed the laptop into a pile of dust and rolled it around. Oh, I forgot, they also replaced the screen since they found the coating coming off. Which was odd since I did not ever have that issue, and was unaware of it at the time.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I received this message from System76 (finally, although I'm impressed they were working on a weekend).

Hello Jeannie,

The 512GB drive does boot, but you have some auto-mount points that are holding up the system from booting, I'll ask them to check the /etc/fstab file to make sure the nofail option is set.

The drive is booting but the system is being held up from booting? :? What's also curious is the drive was working fine up until the computer died so why would something in fstab now be wonky?
Jeannie

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 pm The drive is booting but the system is being held up from booting? :? What's also curious is the drive was working fine up until the computer died so why would something in fstab now be wonky?
An entry that is trying to mount a no-longer present partition, probably.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:59 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:45 pm The drive is booting but the system is being held up from booting? :? What's also curious is the drive was working fine up until the computer died so why would something in fstab now be wonky?
An entry that is trying to mount a no-longer present partition, probably.
Surely it's not because I didn't send my data drives.
Jeannie

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 am Surely it's not because I didn't send my data drives.
If those drives' partitions are mounted in fstab by the OS on whatever you sent them, yes.
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JeffF73 »

Computer Died? Sorry to hear that. Any information on the laptop? What have you tried to get it working? I know electronics die but some time's it's the simplest that can get a system up and running again. Would be happy to help.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

JeffF73 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:21 am Computer Died? Sorry to hear that. Any information on the laptop? What have you tried to get it working? I know electronics die but some time's it's the simplest that can get a system up and running again. Would be happy to help.
The computer has been in the shop almost three weeks now (after having been there once before).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:13 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 am Surely it's not because I didn't send my data drives.
If those drives' partitions are mounted in fstab by the OS on whatever you sent them, yes.
Wow, I had not thought about that, but it makes complete sense to me now. I am just not used to the Linux file system to the point of comfort.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

And I do believe that the simple hitting of Esc "to get the bootsplash out of the way" as I remember advising before the system went back again would've clearly shown any such problem.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

rene wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 am And I do believe that the simple hitting of Esc "to get the bootsplash out of the way" as I remember advising before the system went back again would've clearly shown any such problem.
+1 . That's for the repairer surely.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am hoping that you get it back and running properly RSN.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 am I am hoping that you get it back and running properly RSN.
Thanks! I'm still waiting to hear back from them since their latest email Sunday.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”