Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by MurphCID »

Really sorry to hear that. Could you ship it back with the Mint SSD?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:34 pm Really sorry to hear that. Could you ship it back with the Mint SSD?
So far, they are steering away that possibility.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

That is very sad, do they not know the amount of ill will they are forming with this attitude? I think that stinks, Best of luck getting things back to normal. Perhaps try Mint 20.1?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

After they stonewalled me for several days, they finally sent me a shipping label to ship the thing back "so that our hardware team can review everything and get to the bottom of this issue". They also requested that I send both the Mint and Ubuntu SSDs. I just finished packing everything and I'll probably ship it out tomorrow.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any word?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:15 pmAny word?
Not yet; it's too soon. I didn't get it shipped until yesterday.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Well keep us posted. I am curious what they do. Maybe they will send you a new one.....
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:42 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm
Well keep us posted. I am curious what they do. Maybe they will send you a new one.....
They discontinued my computer two or three months after I bought it so they won't be sending a new one.

Right now, it's on a UPS truck heading for the repair destination, scheduled to delivered today. Then, we'll see how long it takes for them to evaluate it.
Jeannie

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am Right now, it's on a UPS truck heading for the repair destination, scheduled to delivered today. Then, we'll see how long it takes for them to evaluate it.
I expect 10 seconds.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rene wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:44 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am Right now, it's on a UPS truck heading for the repair destination, scheduled to delivered today. Then, we'll see how long it takes for them to evaluate it.
I expect 10 seconds.
Based on the last time they had it, it will be several days of evaluation and one day to fix it.
Jeannie

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

But last time they actually had to do something; as (somewhat) suggested before this time booting into a "nomodeset" boot and re- or uninstalling the Nvidia driver may be all there's to it.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Apparently the RAZER line of gaming laptops seem to take to Linux somewhat easily according to an article I read https://linuxhint.com/best_razor_laptops_linux/ and https://www.fosslinux.com/46038/top-raz ... aptops.htm One of these might be what you could take a look at for a replacement for your System 76. Also for MINT: https://dev.to/nrobinson2000/how-to-ins ... 5-wip-22gb
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am Apparently the RAZER line of gaming laptops seem to take to Linux somewhat easily according to an article I read https://linuxhint.com/best_razor_laptops_linux/ and https://www.fosslinux.com/46038/top-raz ... aptops.htm One of these might be what you could take a look at for a replacement for your System 76. Also for MINT: https://dev.to/nrobinson2000/how-to-ins ... 5-wip-22gb
Thanks for the suggestions! Although I much prefer System 76 fixing the darned thing, I did take a look at your links for future reference. While they appear to be good machines, they really do not meet my needs since they are gaming machines and gamers do not need the connectivity that I need. Also, the location of many of the I/O ports are not practical for me (yeah, I know, I'm weird).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:59 am Apparently the RAZER line of gaming laptops seem to take to Linux somewhat easily according to an article I read https://linuxhint.com/best_razor_laptops_linux/ and https://www.fosslinux.com/46038/top-raz ... aptops.htm One of these might be what you could take a look at for a replacement for your System 76. Also for MINT: https://dev.to/nrobinson2000/how-to-ins ... 5-wip-22gb
Thanks for the suggestions! Although I much prefer System 76 fixing the darned thing, I did take a look at your links for future reference. While they appear to be good machines, they really do not meet my needs since they are gaming machines and gamers do not need the connectivity that I need. Also, the location of many of the I/O ports are not practical for me (yeah, I know, I'm weird).
No, I understand ports are important. Very important.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Any update?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 am Any update?
Not yet. They've had it "only" six days so it's probably still "being evaluated". If I don't hear anything later this week, I'll give them a "nudge".
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Have you heard back from them yet?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am Have you heard back from them yet?
Just after they got the computer, their system automatically closed the ticket. I raised a ruction, they reopened the ticket and said they would have to contact their "repair team" (their words; I have more accurate ones but Mama told me not to use those words) to find out the status of the computer. So far? Nada. I gave them another "nudge" yesterday. :roll:
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat May 01, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:08 am Have you heard back from them yet?
Nope and I nudged them yesterday.
Good, be a pest, keep them on their toes! Don't let them forget you, make them fix it right.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

They probably long have already. Just keeping it so that she will at least not send it back a third time for a self-inflicted issue :)

Return to “Open Chat”