Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Portreve »

Don't verb the noun! :lol:

In a world where we google things and SMS people, will anybody notice?

I remember listening to a series of radio ad spots by some regional car dealer where they talked about how such and such brand of car they were selling got excellent "MPGs". I sat there and thought to myself, “Has it finally come to this? Are we now at a point where people can't even be bothered to know what fuel efficiency is?” That was some time around 2009 or 2010, and much to my relief, I've never heard a single real person talk like that, and nobody else in the car business has picked up on and run with that, so hopefully that was just an idiot at an advertising company with a dumb idea which withered on the vine.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:49 pm Don't verb the noun! :lol: ...
snort choke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's so wrong yet...it's so right! :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:35 pmI know that some people do not want to read other's rants (and I don't have a problem with that) which is why I included it in the title of this thread. If you don't like rants, don't read them when you have been warned.
Very sorry, Lady Fitzgerald, because it seems that my reply has given you the incorrect idea that I might not understand why you are frustrated.
I guess inserting ironical remarks into this thread was inappropriate.
Very likely I would not be amused too much myself, if it were my hardware, which died within the warranty period all of a sudden.

But please look at it this way round (at least try perhaps):
Better it died after a year than a few days or weeks after the end of the warranty period.

Whether or not the System 76 customer support department is less helpful than the same departments of other vendors, I cannot tell.
Whether or not they are playing games with you and delaying things, I cannot really judge.

By the way, death of a computer after a year seems to confirm that either technical devices die within the first 12 months or they will last for 10 years. (Exceptions confirm this rule of thumb.) - Does not help you, I know.

Do not give in. Warranty is warranty, so System 76 will have to resolve the problem.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I seem to recall somebody else on this forum had problems with a new System 76 computer. Screws were dropping out or perhaps missing.
Cliff Coggin
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:51 pm Screws were dropping out or perhaps missing.
If only we could fix people with lose screws with blue loctite. Think it was MurphCID or Lady F herself.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

antikythera wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:51 pm Screws were dropping out or perhaps missing.
If only we could fix people with lose screws with blue loctite. Think it was MurphCID or Lady F herself.
'Twas me. The screw used to hold down one of the M.2 SSDs was missing when I got the computer. A few months later, it fell out of the computer when I had it open to do something on the inside (probably add another SSD or clean out dust).

MurphCID had a problem with his first System 76 computer that required him to ship it back for repairs (I believe i was a firmware issue and was covered under warranty).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I finally got an RMA number and shipping label. I just finished pulling all my drives out of the machine (losing a case screw in the process; fortunately, I had spares) and reinstalling the M.2 drive with Ubuntu installed on it, then packing it up in the original packaging (I have to give them brownie points for their sturdy and clever packaging designed to be reusable and not use any Styrofoam). I'll probably ship it off tomorrow, depending how I feel (right now, I feel a bit wasted and not fit to drive safely due to either my delightful allergies or yesterday's Covid shot).

More on screws. When I first received the computer, Clevo (the computer was specced and sold by System 76 in Colorado but built and shipped by Clevo in California) had included the wrong screws for installing the 2.5" drives to the mounting bracket; they were M3 screws but the thread pitch was wrong. I temporarily installed them with some M3x5s I had knocking about but the heads (pan head) were too thick to be able to install all of them (wafer head screws were needed) and I had use shortened screws in some places (I love my Dremel!).

Also, one of the M.2 drive mounting screws was missing (it fell out of the computer a few months later).

re: Spare Screws. I found a vendor online that specializes in laptop screws, etc. and ordered spares for every screw I could possibly ever lose (tiny screws have a way of disappearing, not to mention I'm too old and decrepit to get down on my hands and knees looking for one; getting back up is even harder). I had to remove a sample of each screw and measure it with calipers (talk about tedious!) since the manual only had a couple of lousy pictures of some of the screws under the Screw Sizes heading.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:00 pm
antikythera wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:59 pm
'Twas me. The screw used to hold down one of the M.2 SSDs was missing when I got the computer. A few months later, it fell out of the computer when I had it open to do something on the inside (probably add another SSD or clean out dust).

MurphCID had a problem with his first System 76 computer that required him to ship it back for repairs (I believe i was a firmware issue and was covered under warranty).
Yes, I did, and I was not happy at all. Plus I was unhappy at the repair but they did make it right in the end. It was a bad firmware issue.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

we have wood plank flooring,
I dropped on of those screws for the 2.5" drive and heard the faintest tinkle as it departed this Earth, never to be seen again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 am we have wood plank flooring,
I dropped on of those screws for the 2.5" drive and heard the faintest tinkle as it departed this Earth, never to be seen again.
My floors are vinyl tile which is just as bad. I often hear the dropped screw hit and bounce but, on the extremely rare occasions I find one (usually by stepping on it with a bare foot; that was how I found the loose screw that had been hidden in my machine when it fell out), it's nowhere near where I heard it go. :roll: I just don't bother to look anymore since I make it a point to always have spares. It's much faster, much less frustrating, and much less painful.
Jeannie

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

My workshop has a rug where I work and with bare feet, as usual, the screws can be found without damaging the feet, plus it tends to slow the bounce distance. Despite that it is surprising at times how far they can go.

The alternative is a powerful magnet waved around.
francisbaud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by francisbaud »

Well that really sucks, especially since you've paid so much money for your computer. With my laptop I fear the same could happen, as it is once in a while shutting down by itself, probably because of an over-heating issue. Wish you the best with your System 76 customer support case.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am The alternative is a powerful magnet waved around.
Put the magnet in plastic bag, it makes it so much easier remove the detritus.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

cliffcoggin wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:54 pm
RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am The alternative is a powerful magnet waved around.
Put the magnet in plastic bag, it makes it so much easier remove the detritus.
Good tip! Thanks!
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Jukeboxer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:50 pm Everything dies. Computers too
A $3000+ computer dying after only 10-11 months is inexcusable.
Jeannie

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Agreed Jeannie, and people wonder why i build my own computers from accumulated spare parts that cost me nothing...lol...if it blows up, ive lost nothing but a little time, but i havent blown up any as of yet...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:48 am
Agreed Jeannie, and people wonder why i build my own computers from accumulated spare parts that cost me nothing...lol...if it blows up, ive lost nothing but a little time, but i havent blown up any as of yet...lol...DAMIEN
I feel the same way for desktop machines but it's kinda tough to build a laptop.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just can't bring myself to sit at a desk anymore, and use a keyboard on the flat surface....

So, I use a laptop in my nice Recliner.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am My workshop has a rug where I work and with bare feet, as usual, the screws can be found without damaging the feet, plus it tends to slow the bounce distance. Despite that it is surprising at times how far they can go.

I've found a large oven baking sheet works just fine. White paper towel on the bottom restricts bouncing and enhances spotting those tiny screws as well.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:54 am My workshop has a rug where I work and with bare feet, as usual, the screws can be found without damaging the feet, plus it tends to slow the bounce distance. Despite that it is surprising at times how far they can go.

I usually find my wife's pins and needles that she drops by ramming my bare foot into them.

Return to “Open Chat”