Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:07 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:17 am ...My Mint is finallybooting now after being down almost three months and in the repair shop twice. I had some problems with some programs,etc., not working quite right but I've ironed out most of them (I still can't control screen brightness and Evolution's calendar is acting up). I still haven't worked out why it refused to boot when the data drives weren't installed but I have a hunch I need to follow up on later...
Look at installing the 5.8 kernel, it worked with my Darter Pro.
I'm still using Mint 19.3 ; the 5.8 kernel is for 20.1. 19.3 is supported for almost two more years. It took me a year (until the day it died) to get the computer to working pretty much the way I wanted and I just don't feel like horsing around with a new version when I have so many other things I need to be working on.

In other news, I was up all night (like an idiot) tracking down the reason why the screen brightness wouldn't work. Out of the sixty some odd updates awaiting me when I finally got this machine to boot, there was one lousy update that caused it. Thanks to an excellent clue supplied Pjotr, after using Timeshift to remove all the updates, then slowing reapplying them in small batches, eschewing kernel, System76, and NVIDIA updates (which Pjotr's diagnostic procedure gave me the clue that they might be suspicious), while frequently taking Timeshift snapshots and rebooting (even though not required) I was finally able to narrow the field down to one lousy NVIDIA update (also giving me yet another reason despise NVIDIA). I blocked that update and the only problem, other than catching up on nearly three months of downtime on this computer and the Evolution calendar issue, all is good again.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:03 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:07 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:17 am ...My Mint is finallybooting now after being down almost three months and in the repair shop twice. I had some problems with some programs,etc., not working quite right but I've ironed out most of them (I still can't control screen brightness and Evolution's calendar is acting up). I still haven't worked out why it refused to boot when the data drives weren't installed but I have a hunch I need to follow up on later...
Look at installing the 5.8 kernel, it worked with my Darter Pro.
I'm still using Mint 19.3 ; the 5.8 kernel is for 20.1. 19.3 is supported for almost two more years. It took me a year (until the day it died) to get the computer to working pretty much the way I wanted and I just don't feel like horsing around with a new version when I have so many other things I need to be working on.

In other news, I was up all night (like an idiot) tracking down the reason why the screen brightness wouldn't work. Out of the sixty some odd updates awaiting me when I finally got this machine to boot, there was one lousy update that caused it. Thanks to an excellent clue supplied Pjotr, after using Timeshift to remove all the updates, then slowing reapplying them in small batches, eschewing kernel, System76, and NVIDIA updates (which Pjotr's diagnostic procedure gave me the clue that they might be suspicious), while frequently taking Timeshift snapshots and rebooting (even though not required) I was finally able to narrow the field down to one lousy NVIDIA update (also giving me yet another reason despise NVIDIA). I blocked that update and the only problem, other than catching up on nearly three months of downtime on this computer and the Evolution calendar issue, all is good again.
I have been using 20.1 for a little bit and I’ve had no problems whatsoever. But I’m also very casual user. I like his stuff as well Pjotr’s site is amazing and such a rich resource for us. Best of luck with the updates.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

the ASUS G53SX is another one that is a real B**tch to get into.

the keyboard is "supposed to" just pop up with a little plastic tool,
I gave up in frustration and threw the damn thing away,
that keyboard will NOT come off, come hell or high water.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 pm the ASUS G53SX is another one that is a real B**tch to get into.

the keyboard is "supposed to" just pop up with a little plastic tool,
I gave up in frustration and threw the damn thing away,
that keyboard will NOT come off, come hell or high water.
You just aren't using the right plastic tool. You need that fancy French tool, the one made of plastique. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You just aren't using the right plastic tool. You need that fancy French tool, the one made of plastique. :wink:
And im sure that Jennie is NOT referring to the 2nd dictionary definition found below...lol...DAMIEN
plastique
noun
1. plastic explosive.

2. statuesque poses or slow graceful movements in dancing.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I'm not sure, should have kept a note, one of those I have done a Linux installation on had 20 screws on the bottom, 5 under the keyboard and then a crowbar at one corner to prise it apart enough to pull the disk out and replace with an SSD.

There are other laptops, Toshiba Tecra(?) one screw and that gets you in to replace with an SSD.

As for the French plastic definition "plastique", definitely the explosive, no question.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Pjotrs site also has a section with a ppa for kernels created by Ubuntu. At present the kernel is 5.11.x.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

The process to install kernel 5.11.x item 8
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID8
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Pjotrs site also has a section with a ppa for kernels created by Ubuntu. At present the kernel is 5.11.x.
I seriously doubt that Jeannie is going to install an unsupported kernel in her new, under warranty, system 76 computer that she is having warranty work performed upon...At least not yet...lol...DAMIEN
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:38 am
I seriously doubt that Jeannie is going to install an unsupported kernel in her new, under warranty, system 76 computer that she is having warranty work performed upon...At least not yet...lol...DAMIEN
True that. I got it back last week, got it running, and now I'm updating my data added or changed on my Lenovo while the laptop was down (see earlier post).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

How is it going?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:16 am How is it going?
So far, so good. I've ironed out the bugs that turned up as a result of this thing going belly up except the one of it not being able to finish booting if one or more of the data drives was not installed (I think I may know the answer to that but haven't had the ambition to tackle it yet). That one has me worried since, if a data drive dies, it would keep the computer from booting and diagnosing the problem would be a bear of a problem.

For now, I've been moving data that I added or changed on my backup Mint machine while this one was dead or not booting to this one and catching up on tasks that had been neglected during the time, such as scanning and filing an about 1 1/4" deep stack of paperwork (then shredding it) and scanning the sleeves and discs of a 160 CD set I bought of Haydn works just before the computer died (what was I thinking :?: :shock: :!: ) and ripping the 60 CDs of that set I hadn't gotten around to ripping before the computer died. At least that will keep me inside much of the time during the "warm" Arizona summer ahead.

As if I didn't have enough to do already, I'm also trying to learn how to use a new music engraving (notation) program since the expensive professional one I used to use (Finale) in Windwoes doesn't have a Linux version.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I hope that it keeps going well. I don't understand how System 76 can run out of laptops! That is just wild.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am Well I hope that it keeps going well...
Thanks! So do I but, then again, I'm prejudiced. :wink:
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:22 am ...I don't understand how System 76 can run out of laptops! That is just wild.
There are several factors probably at work here. First is the current silicon chip shortage. There is (and has been for a few years) a worldwide shortage of high quality silica sand (the basic ingredient for growing the silicon crystals used to make chips). Silicon crystals take a long time to grow so manufacturers have to do long term future demand projections for manufacturing. The pandemic initially caused a dip in production, then demand skyrocketed for new computers because of all the new people having to work from home. Add to that all the crypto-miners buying up graphics cards at phenomenally high new rates. The chip shortage is so bad, car manufacturers can't get enough for building new cars.

Then there is System76's business plan of speccing out computers built by other companies, such as Clevo, under System 76's label changing to one where System76 is now designing their own computers, starting with desktop computers being followed by laptops. The last I heard, they are even building their own factory in Denver where System76 is headquartered. Considering how lousy communication was between System76 in Denver and their "hardware/repair team" in California, the new factory might be an improvement.

However, I'm not holding much hope for an improvement in System76's computers (not to mention their lousy tech help). Their latest desktop that came out that I've seen reviewed (System76's website doesn't really tell anyone beans about the design itself) has some really impressive specs (up to four graphics cards and eight SSDs) but accessing many parts will be a nightmare due to the one piece outer case that has to be lifted off and all the cooling shrouds, etc. that has to be removed to get to the cards and drive cages. The cooling system, including the heatsink, is proprietary; no upgrades would be possible. Front and rear I/O is limited. I shudder to think how badly they might design their laptops. I also wonder how good their new "hardware/repair teams" will be.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:26 pm
There are several factors probably at work here. First is the current silicon chip shortage. There is (and has been for a few years) a worldwide shortage of high quality silica sand (the basic ingredient for growing the silicon crystals used to make chips). Silicon crystals take a long time to grow so manufacturers have to do long term future demand projections for manufacturing. The pandemic initially caused a dip in production, then demand skyrocketed for new computers because of all the new people having to work from home. Add to that all the crypto-miners buying up graphics cards at phenomenally high new rates. The chip shortage is so bad, car manufacturers can't get enough for building new cars.

Then there is System76's business plan of speccing out computers built by other companies, such as Clevo, under System 76's label changing to one where System76 is now designing their own computers, starting with desktop computers being followed by laptops. The last I heard, they are even building their own factory in Denver where System76 is headquartered. Considering how lousy communication was between System76 in Denver and their "hardware/repair team" in California, the new factory might be an improvement.

However, I'm not holding much hope for an improvement in System76's computers (not to mention their lousy tech help). Their latest desktop that came out that I've seen reviewed (System76's website doesn't really tell anyone beans about the design itself) has some really impressive specs (up to four graphics cards and eight SSDs) but accessing many parts will be a nightmare due to the one piece outer case that has to be lifted off and all the cooling shrouds, etc. that has to be removed to get to the cards and drive cages. The cooling system, including the heatsink, is proprietary; no upgrades would be possible. Front and rear I/O is limited. I shudder to think how badly they might design their laptops. I also wonder how good their new "hardware/repair teams" will be.
The "New" Apple?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:24 pm The "New" Apple?
That thought crossed my mind (and left ruts; my mind is a bit mushy today).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well perhaps there will be a competitor to System 76 here in the US.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

We can only hope.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

What repairs, if any, did they actually complete? I am curious.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:01 am What repairs, if any, did they actually complete? I am curious.
The first time it went in, they replaced the graphics card. The second time, they replaced the motherboard.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”