Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

The blasted POS is still not working correctly. I had one heck of a time just getting into my Live USB because the CPU fan sound like a B-17 starting up and it would occasionally shut down, apparently due to the CPU overheating. It took two tries to get the Boot-Repair Program installed (again, due to the CPU overheating and shutting down), then the darned program wouldn't work. It would not respond at all. I've sent a nastygram to System 76. :cry: :evil:

Edit: corrected typo
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

They replaced the GPU? That may be why it's overheating then if they did not put the GPU cooler back properly.

The post above about running the laptop with the cover off to see if the GPU fan is the one making the B-17 noise is not a bad idea. If it is running full tilt then they have not applied thermal compound properly to the GPU end of the heat pipe assembly and tightened it back down in the correct manner. Same applies for the CPU fan and end of the heatpipe, check both if you can (tighten any loose screws accessible on the copper heatsink assembly). If you have one of those infrared thermometers meant for forehead scans or even a meat thermometer you could also use that to see which component is getting too hot.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

antikythera wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:57 am They replaced the GPU? That may be why it's overheating then if they did not put the GPU cooler back properly.

The post above about running the laptop with the cover off to see if the GPU fan is the one making the B-17 noise is not a bad idea. If it is running full tilt then they have not applied thermal compound properly to the GPU end of the heat pipe assembly and tightened it back down in the correct manner. Same applies for the CPU fan and end of the heatpipe, check both if you can (tighten any loose screws accessible on the copper heatsink assembly). If you have one of those infrared thermometers meant for forehead scans or even a meat thermometer you could also use that to see which component is getting too hot.
I made a typo (now corrected) and it should have been CPU fan (it was the GPU they said was bad, which is curious because the entire laptop was dead; even the pilot light on the power switch wouldn't come on). It's easy to tell which chip is running too hot just by putting my hand at the back of the laptop and feeling which side is blasting out hot air.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

Since this isn't really much of a Linux Issue...

I just wanted to point out where the issue lies on Windows for me...
(This Is My Own Experience & Other People May Have A Different Experience)
This is why i've never been Scammed, Nor Ever Had Any Issues With Security

Being overly secured to actually make it hard to breath for Users,
is not exactly a good idea... I get that we need Security, but
when you provide too much of it.. It becomes a problem.

Less Security has actually proven to be more effective then more Security.

Example: In the Past, Security was very minimal, & no one complained,
they only complained about Viruses & Anti-Viruses...

Windows 10 solved that problem for Pro Users, & it was very effective...
It was like the perfect Solution to Security on Windows...

Today, that Security is gone, & what we now have is a Security
that is overly toxic & stressful, & hard to breath with... Yet now we have
a Problem with Scammers, Viruses, Hackers, & all kinds of other things,
& people keep complaining left & right about it...

Even more so? I feel a lot more happier moving to Linux over Security
Today, then I am running Security on Windows 10 Today...
Windows 10 is way overly Secured, but yet also very Untrustworthy.

Low Security creates a learning Curve that Benefits People in Education & They Learn About Self Protection
Overly High Security allows People to be dependant on Companies to handle it for them & No Education is provided
With Overly High Security, People don't learn anything which is why they keep falling for the same mistakes all the time...

Maybe You Agree & Maybe You Don't, this is just 1 View Point On Security

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the Yahoo! Password thing?

This is why I simply don't use Password Managers
& Simply don't Save Passwords, because being too
comfortable in letting something else handle my Passwords,
allows me to become forgetful in what my Passwords are.

So for me? I keep my Passwords in my Head, I Code my
Passwords in a way that only I can figure them out, & above
all, I setup my Accounts to run like a maze that only I can
really figure out how the System works.

I don't forget my Passwords, because i'm always constantly using them.
Even when i'm not using them constantly, I always find some way to push
myself into using them at some point where I won't forget them any ways.

What works for me, may not work for you, but maybe you can figure
out a method that works best for you, & be just as effective?

Good Luck!
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am

Good Luck!
and this is the Crux of the whole Security Thing.
I was involved in an accident ~2008 that destroyed my ability to remember anything longer than about 5 seconds.

I am forced to use Notebooks and Password Managers, I refuse to use a PC based pswd mgr, as I use several different PCs/laptops and Operating Systems.

ergo, a cloud based Password Manager: LastPass has worked flawlessly for me nigh on 20 years now.

as for Windows being subject to vampires?
I have a Win7 desktop that has been online 24/7/365 since I bought the thing back before my accident, so around 2006? It has never incurred any scrupulous vermin, I used to run AVG and now am using AVAST.

it is only used to support apps that have no replacements in Linux, period.

This laptop I am using now, has two SSDs in it, one dedicated to Win10 for TurboTax;
and the 2nd is dedicated to LM 19.3 Cinnamon.

that is my story, and I am sticking
Toit-50.png
Toit-50.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:57 am ...that is my story, and I am sticking Toit-50.png
I'm glad you got a round tuit. :wink:
(I used to have one of those)

I had all my passwords on a tiny USB thumb (pinky?) drive on my key ring but, for some weird reason, the one for Yahoo wasn't on there. :?

In other news...er... Make that back to the ranch...er...topic... I actually got a response from System 76 this morning and they linked me to their terminal based directions on how to fix the bootloader on their machines. I just got out of bed (I often don't sleep well at night; thank goodness I'm retired) and I'm still using toothpicks to hold my eyelids open while I'm eating lunch and fumbling my way through this forum, etc. Once I fully wake up (more or less, probably less), I'll print them out (safer and easier than trying to remember them) and give them a shot. Otherwise, "The POS" (the new quasi-official name for the laptop) is heading back to their "repair team".
Jeannie

HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:33 pm (I often don't sleep well at night; thank goodness I'm retired)
I had this problem and now take a Melatonin 10mg & Benadryl 25mg before going to bed and sleep 8+ hours.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:03 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:33 pm (I often don't sleep well at night; thank goodness I'm retired)
I had this problem and now take a Melatonin 10mg & Benadryl 25mg before going to bed and sleep 8+ hours.
If I actually slept continuously for 8+ hours, my bladder would explode! Ah, the joy's of old age. :roll:

Benadryl is one of the only two allergy relief meds left that will actually work somewhat on my *&^%$#@! (relatively polite term) allergies (and yes, I've seen all the experts, have had the tests, shots,drops, etc.). I eventually develop a tolerance to any antihistamine I take on a regular basis and Benadryl is the only one that usually still works, mostly because I infrequently take it due to its side effects. Sometimes, all it does is more or less dries up my nasal passages without making me drowsy. Sometimes, it will also make me drowsy and/or loopy. Other times, it knocks me comatose. I never can tell how it will effect me nor for how long so I never take it unless I can banish myself to one place (usually home although sometimes a friend's home if I'm out of town visiting) for 18-24 hours. During that time, I won't drive or even step outdoors. I take Benadryl only when my allergies are so horrible the only other allergy med that still somewhat works (0.06% ipratropium bromide spray) doesn't give me enough relief to at least let me sleep. I make it a point to resort to Benadryl as little as possible to hopefully avoid building up a tolerance to it.

Somewhat amusing anecdote warning: Several years ago, I was out of State for Thanksgiving dinner with friends (more like extended family). Late morning, my allergies started flaring up. I didn't want to subject everyone at dinner to my sniffling, snuffling, and honking during dinner but I didn't want to miss dinner, either. I asked my friend who was cooking if she needed me to run any errands before I drove up to the drug store to get some Benadryl. She had some already and gave me a couple (the recommended adult dosage).

By dinnertime, I was loopy enough that one of my friends was doing the smile test for stroke on me. What made it interesting (and, later, funny) was I had a mild case of Bell's Palsy back when I was in college. I pretty much fully recovered with only some barely detectable atrophy on the right side of my face. One result is, when I smile, the right side of my mouth doesn't quite rise as high as the left side; you have to be looking for it to see it. I had to woozily talk my friend out of calling 911. After dinner, everyone took a walk while I passed out on the couch.

Somewhat amusing anecdote over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled rant.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

Burning Desires 69
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Burning Desires 69 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:57 am
Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am

Good Luck!
and this is the Crux of the whole Security Thing.
I was involved in an accident ~2008 that destroyed my ability to remember anything longer than about 5 seconds.

I am forced to use Notebooks and Password Managers, I refuse to use a PC based pswd mgr, as I use several different PCs/laptops and Operating Systems.

ergo, a cloud based Password Manager: LastPass has worked flawlessly for me nigh on 20 years now.

as for Windows being subject to vampires?
I have a Win7 desktop that has been online 24/7/365 since I bought the thing back before my accident, so around 2006? It has never incurred any scrupulous vermin, I used to run AVG and now am using AVAST.

it is only used to support apps that have no replacements in Linux, period.

This laptop I am using now, has two SSDs in it, one dedicated to Win10 for TurboTax;
and the 2nd is dedicated to LM 19.3 Cinnamon.

that is my story, and I am sticking Toit-50.png
I Loved World = 80's & 90's
World Hates Me = 2016 to 2019
I Hate World = 2020 & ^
They want us to Suffer, then lets speed it up, just burn our Sanity away. Else, Shut It!
A "Scar" Means? Yur About To Find Out, The Hard Way!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am Since this isn't really much of a Linux Issue...
As the thread is about a hardware problem, what does all of that about Windows passwords have to do with it? If talking about passwords, my backup list is on paper, hard to hack it from outside and easy to hide.

As for hot CPUs, one or two laptops I've worked on have certainly run rather warm but otherwise they have worked OK.
DarkMatter15531
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkMatter15531 »

It sounds to me like your computers issue is most likely a bad buck converter thats allowing too much voltage to reach the CPU thus overheating it. also when you switch around your drives do you have to change the boot device in their UEFI? not sure how System76s open firmware handels that but thats the case with most systems. just a thought.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:48 pm
Burning Desires 69 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:21 am Since this isn't really much of a Linux Issue...
As the thread is about a hardware problem, what does all of that about Windows passwords have to do with it? If talking about passwords, my backup list is on paper, hard to hack it from outside and easy to hide.

As for hot CPUs, one or two laptops I've worked on have certainly run rather warm but otherwise they have worked OK.
Yeah agreed. This is a System 76 hardware issue. I recall the issues i had with my Darter Pro, and the open firmware under the 4 series kernels, and the 5.4 series. It seems to work under the 5.8 series ok. Plus the bad firmware update issue which caused my machine to brick itself. Then sending it back, and getting it back with a dud keyboard, dirty, and missing the SD card slot stopper. It took a second trip to System 76 to get it fixed. It also could be an issue with System 76 and the earlier CLEVO machines.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

System's 76's email first suggested that I replace the Ubuntu drive and check to see if the CPU fan continued to sound like a B-17. I did that (I was going to do that anyway, especially since someone here had also suggested it) and, after fixing the boot order, it seems to boot kinda normally. It takes 55 seconds to get to the login screen. This machine was always a slow booter but it feels like a long time when I'm sitting there waiting on it (I normally would start it up and go see someone about a horse while it was booting up). Instead of the CPU fan emulating the warm up sequence of a B-17, the GPU fan would fire up but not particularly loud. It would wind down to a whisper after reaching the desktop. I played with the machine for a while, watching cartoons on boobtube just to keep exercising it and it seemed to run OK. I did a couple of full shut downs, then manually fired it up again and all seemed normal, albeit slow.

I then shut it down, opened up the machine, yanked out the Ubuntu drive and replaced the Mint drive. I haven't attempted to follow System 76's instructions for fixing the boot loader yet but I did copy their directions to a PDF via Writer and printed them out. After putzing around with this thing today, I'm getting a bit tired of it so I'm going to wait until tomorrow before doing any more with it. My mood is less than stellar right now due a lot of things I won't bore you all with which means I'm more likely to screw things up right now, making a break sound like a good idea.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Did it work? I hope so.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm Did it work? I hope so.
Nope. Image

See my other thread for details.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm Did it work? I hope so.
Nope. Image

See my other thread for details.
Which one?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Thanks I managed to find it and agree with your righteous anger.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Wow, I am suprised at the System 76 lack of response that shocks me. Hope you get it up and running RSN.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm Wow, I am suprised at the System 76 lack of response that shocks me. Hope you get it up and running RSN.
Sadly, they are still stonewalling me.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”