Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by deepakdeshp »

Now everything works as it should?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 am Now everything works as it should?
Pretty much. Their idiot repair team installed both the Ubuntu drive and the Mint drive and set them up to dual boot (I never told them to do that) and both show up as Ubuntu drives in the boot order :roll: . After yanking the Ubuntu drive, both drives still show up in the boot order but the machine boots up just fine so, since I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", I'm leaving it alone. Everything else seems to work just fine (for now).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well let us hope everything works from here on out.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Thanks!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
mrgordos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrgordos »

sudo update-grub should fix that.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Do we have user satisfaction yet with the "new" computer?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 am Do we have user satisfaction yet with the "new" computer?
Yes and no. I pretty much had user satisfaction with the "new" computer from a month or so after I got it until the day it died (why Linux computer manufacturers love NVIDIA graphics cards so much is beyond me) and, after three months of System 76 farting around with it twice, finally getting it fixed, I would pretty much be satisfied with it again except for the nagging worry it might croak on me again and I would have to go through hell again to get it fixed again.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:11 am Do we have user satisfaction yet with the "new" computer?
Yes and no. I pretty much had user satisfaction with the "new" computer from a month or so after I got it until the day it died (why Linux computer manufacturers love NVIDIA graphics cards so much is beyond me) and, after three months of System 76 farting around with it twice, finally getting it fixed, I would pretty much be satisfied with it again except for the nagging worry it might croak on me again and I would have to go through hell again to get it fixed again.
I understand and feel your pain.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I turned the Nvidia video card off on my laptop, has been that way for a long time,
so far, I can't tell the difference, works just fine in Intel mode.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:26 pm I turned the Nvidia video card off on my laptop, has been that way for a long time,
My computer doesn't have that option (*&^%$#@!).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:16 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:26 pm I turned the Nvidia video card off on my laptop, has been that way for a long time,
My computer doesn't have that option (*&^%$#@!).
Bummer.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hows it going?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:49 pm Hows it going?
So far, so good.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is it working as well post repair as pre-repair? My Darter Pro is starting to have some keyboard issues (again!).
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:20 am Is it working as well post repair as pre-repair? My Darter Pro is starting to have some keyboard issues (again!).
After some tweaking (such as adding "nofail" to fstab entries), you could say it's running better. Still, It's been only a little less than two months since I got it back and working so the closer it gets to ten more months of use, the more nervous I get.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:48 pm
MurphCID wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:20 am Is it working as well post repair as pre-repair? My Darter Pro is starting to have some keyboard issues (again!).
After some tweaking (such as adding "nofail" to fstab entries), you could say it's running better. Still, It's been only a little less than two months since I got it back and working so the closer it gets to ten more months of use, the more nervous I get.
That is really great to hear, I am glad it is working well.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:06 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:48 pm
That is really great to hear, I am glad it is working well.
Not even half as glad as I am (but, then again, I'm prejudiced :wink: ). Thanks!
Jeannie

DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am(why Linux computer manufacturers love NVIDIA graphics cards so much is beyond me)
The main reason for Nvidia in Linux laptops was that AMD didn't have good mobile CPUs for a long time. Their mobile GPU lineup was just as bad, but that should change with the new 6600M, 6700M, 6800M. Intel on the other hand had bad iGPUs - UHD630 sucks quite a bit, and Iris XE is still new. So the only way out of that mess used to be an Intel CPU with Nvidia card.

These days, AMD's APU lineup is really good if you are not into gaming. About a year ago, laptop manufacturers finally figured out that there is a large market for AMD laptops with integrated graphics only. I have a 4700U laptop with no extra graphics card, and it runs Mint nicely.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

DPM wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am(why Linux computer manufacturers love NVIDIA graphics cards so much is beyond me)
The main reason for Nvidia in Linux laptops was that AMD didn't have good mobile CPUs for a long time. Their mobile GPU lineup was just as bad, but that should change with the new 6600M, 6700M, 6800M. Intel on the other hand had bad iGPUs - UHD630 sucks quite a bit, and Iris XE is still new. So the only way out of that mess used to be an Intel CPU with Nvidia card.

These days, AMD's APU lineup is really good if you are not into gaming. About a year ago, laptop manufacturers finally figured out that there is a large market for AMD laptops with integrated graphics only. I have a 4700U laptop with no extra graphics card, and it runs Mint nicely.
I am hoping that is the case. AMD GPUs have traditionally been very power hungry compared to the equivalent Nvidia offerings. Also in the past when they were ATI and up until too terribly not long ago their update process for drivers was a PITA.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

On the subject of Passwords
I changed the Yahoo password once I got in and wrote it down to make sure I knew what if there is ever a next time
I had some dramas when I tried a password manager once (once turned out to be enough).

Because I managed so many websites for clients and also had access to their personal accounts, I was concerned that writing them in a book or saving them in a plain text file on my computers was risky.

Then I discovered that I could write a plain text file with all the accounts and passwords in it and save it then zip it.

A password.zip file (obviously not THAT name though) can be encrypted with a password.

You can open it with Ark or whatever archive extracting tool your version of Linux uses, and you can see inside it. But opening THE password.txt file inside password.zip will require you to enter a password to get in.

Linux has cracking tools to uncrack simple passwords, but who is going to open a file called my fluffy kitten.zip anyway.

Discovering that I can password protect a zip file was a game changer.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Open Chat”