Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

My idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a year (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet). I was using it this morning an it just shut down and now it just sits there and laughs at me.

Adding insult to injury, I went through hell on Earth trying to recover my password for my Yahoo mail account (remind me not to use password managers again). Normally, I would just get a code from Yahoo on another email account but I couldn't get into that account either. Calling Yahoo was a waste of time. I eventually recovered the password from a file on my System 76's backup boot drive after jumping through a few dozen hoops to get there.

Right now, I'm mad enough to chew nails and spit out thumbtacks (and sink them into oak)! :evil: It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything else from System 76!

Rant over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled forum.

Edited typo. Month should have been year. Sorry! :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by cliffcoggin »

That's tough luck about the computer, but all electronic gadgets die eventually. I'm surprised you didn't have a backup of the passwords. I thought you were keen on backups.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 pm That's tough luck about the computer, but all electronic gadgets die eventually. I'm surprised you didn't have a backup of the passwords. I thought you were keen on backups.
Yeah, but on such an expensive computer after only 10-11 months? I still haven't heard back from System 76.

I did have a backup of all my passwords but for some reason, Yahoo's backed up password wasn't working. All the others worked just fine. Technically, I didn't recover the password. I copied the file that Brave used to store my passwords on the 76 computer and pasted it into Brave on the computer I'm using right now and I was able to get in. I changed the Yahoo password once I got in and wrote it down to make sure I knew what if there is ever a next time.

What made the process of getting back into Yahoo so infuriating to get back in was I had to enter a code sent to another email address. I couldn't get into that address to get the code, possibly because they inactivated it due to lack of usage. Yahoo refused to budge on giving me that code any other way. I tried getting a new email account several other places but they all required I verify who I am using another email account--to get a new email account anywhere, I had to already have one! I was livid and used a lot of words Mama told me not to use today.

Before I finally "found" my password, I talked to two different Yahoo reps, both of whom basically said I was S.O.L. Both times, I demanded to speak to a supervisor. The first rep claimed she couldn't find one right away but supposedly was still looking. I gave up waiting and tried again later. The second one, after giving me the same song and dance, then claiming he couldn't find a supervisor (what the heck kind of operation are they running there?), took my phone number, and said a supervisor would call me back. So far, that hasn't happened.

Something is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pmSomething is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
There's a lot of people that want to get into your accounts. That's why we have to jump through so many hoops now. :(

Sorry to hear about the young 'puter.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

SMG wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm...Sorry to hear about the young 'puter.
Thanks. I paid for a three year warranty but the clowns discontinued my computer three months after I bought it (mutter, mutter, mumble, mumble). I still haven't heard back from System 76.
SMG wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pmSomething is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
There's a lot of people that want to get into your accounts. That's why we have to jump through so many hoops now. :( ...
I understand the need for tight security but when that security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts, that is absurd!
Jeannie

motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:16 pm That's tough luck about the computer, but all electronic gadgets die eventually. I'm surprised you didn't have a backup of the passwords. I thought you were keen on backups.
Yeah, but on such an expensive computer after only 10-11 months? I still haven't heard back from System 76.

I did have a backup of all my passwords but for some reason, Yahoo's backed up password wasn't working. All the others worked just fine. Technically, I didn't recover the password. I copied the file that Brave used to store my passwords on the 76 computer and pasted it into Brave on the computer I'm using right now and I was able to get in. I changed the Yahoo password once I got in and wrote it down to make sure I knew what if there is ever a next time.

What made the process of getting back into Yahoo so infuriating to get back in was I had to enter a code sent to another email address. I couldn't get into that address to get the code, possibly because they inactivated it due to lack of usage. Yahoo refused to budge on giving me that code any other way. I tried getting a new email account several other places but they all required I verify who I am using another email account--to get a new email account anywhere, I had to already have one! I was livid and used a lot of words Mama told me not to use today.

Before I finally "found" my password, I talked to two different Yahoo reps, both of whom basically said I was S.O.L. Both times, I demanded to speak to a supervisor. The first rep claimed she couldn't find one right away but supposedly was still looking. I gave up waiting and tried again later. The second one, after giving me the same song and dance, then claiming he couldn't find a supervisor (what the heck kind of operation are they running there?), took my phone number, and said a supervisor would call me back. So far, that hasn't happened.

Something is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
-- I'm sorry for seeming like I'm pouring salt on your wounds here, but:

1. Why are you still using Yahoo? That is a black-hat hacker's wet dream next to AOL.

2. Yahoo customer support? Good luck with that. There's a solid group of reasons why that company has been dying across the past 10 years little by little and they're steadily killing their services with Yahoo Groups being one of as of December 2020. You'd be more secure leaving your real life home's door(s) wide open over night and you going to spend the week elsewhere and put a big sign out the in the front entrance area stating " come on in and get whatever you want. All stuff must go..free of charge."

3. Yahoo doesn't offer free mail forwarding either and the paid option is a joke at best.

I pray that you sincerely ditch Yahoo for something much more secure and just a better value of your time soon. Sincerely, no insult meant, but just stating some facts here. --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...I'm sorry for seeming like I'm pouring salt on your wounds here, but:

1. Why are you still using Yahoo? That is a black-hat hacker's wet dream next to AOL...
Yahoo was taken over by Verizon around three years ago. Verizon has tightened things up quite a bit and are no longer a "black-hat hacker's wet dream" (I like that term :lol: ). I don't send any sensitive or personal info directly over email anyway. Even if Yahoo was hacked again, all they would get would be my emails and my yahoo account's password.
motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...2. Yahoo customer support? Good luck with that. There's a solid group of reasons why that company has been dying across the past 10 years little by little and they're steadily killing their services with Yahoo Groups being one of as of December 2020...
Yahoo Groups were dying before Verizon took over Yahoo, probably due to other, more popular social media. The groups were not profitable to Verizon so I don't blame them for dropping them. I hadn't used them in over a decade so it's no skin off my nose. After my experience today, dealing with customer service reps that were less than stellar in ability, I agree about their customer "service".
motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...You'd be more secure leaving your real life home's door(s) wide open over night and you going to spend the week elsewhere and put a big sign out the in the front entrance area stating " come on in and get whatever you want. All stuff must go..free of charge."...
We are back to point number 1 again. Same response.

motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...3. Yahoo doesn't offer free mail forwarding either and the paid option is a joke at best...
Something else I don't use or need. All I need is email and Yahoo meets that need. It's also far easier to use than anything else I've tried. I got the other account only to satisfy Verizon's idiotic security. The only other option for security was to use my mobile number and I have texting blocked on it--what is the obsession companies have using texting for security codes, anyway?--and I don't give out my cell phone number. The phone stays turned off until I'm going to use it. I bought it and pay for the pay-as-you-go plan I use for my use, not everyone else's!

motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:51 pm ...I'm sorry for seeming like I'm pouring salt on your wounds here...I pray that you sincerely ditch Yahoo for something much more secure and just a better value of your time soon. Sincerely, no insult meant, but just stating some facts here. --
No insult taken nor sting from salt in the wound (you missed? :wink: ).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pm My idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a month (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet). I was using it this morning an it just shut down and now it just sits there and laughs at me.

Adding insult to injury, I went through hell on Earth trying to recover my password for my Yahoo mail account (remind me not to use password managers again). Normally, I would just get a code from Yahoo on another email account but I couldn't get into that account either. Calling Yahoo was a waste of time. I eventually recovered the password from a file on my System 76's backup boot drive after jumping through a few dozen hoops to get there.

Right now, I'm mad enough to chew nails and spit out thumbtacks (and sink them into oak)! :evil: It will be a cold day in Hell before I buy anything else from System 76!

Rant over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled forum.
Oh no! Sorry to hear that. On the bright side, System 76 did send me a shipping label, and took care of the Darter Pro quickly, now I DID have to send it back due to dust, missing SD card slot rubber stopper, keys not working, but when I got it back, it was just as new. YMMV. Have you looked at Tuxedo computers? Or perhaps HP? I still use Yahoo as well, since so the Yahoo email was given out to so many people, businesses, etc.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pm Something is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
I have to say I disagree on that point. To my mind it's an insecure system if any Tom Dick or Harry could phone up pretending to be Jeannie and get your password. I prefer to have my passwords entirely under my own control and stored only where I can get access to them.
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:37 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:38 pm Something is seriously wrong when security is so tight, one can't get into their own accounts!
I have to say I disagree on that point. To my mind it's an insecure system if any Tom Dick or Harry could phone up pretending to be Jeannie and get your password. I prefer to have my passwords entirely under my own control and stored only where I can get access to them.
There are other ways to ensure security besides 2FA, such as security questions.
Jeannie

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

A comment on Password Managers.

I would be Totally Lost without LastPass....
but I have to make sure that it updates correctly if the website password is changed...
sometimes it makes duplicates for the login, and I edit those to see what is stored there, and delete the offending password suggestion.

If you use a Password Manager, Do NOT allow the browser to store that password....
this is where every one of my password problems have occurred.
the Password Manager suggests the correct password, but the browser over-rides it with the stored password.

I only let the browser store passwords on inane websites where it really does not matter to my financial health.

I never, allow the browser to store a password to a Financial Institution, never.

LastPass has never failed me, but it can make duplicate suggestions, especially when the website has sub-forms that ask you for that password again: my bank does exactly that

I always delete the extra password suggestions, I only want the main login to the bank.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (from Alert)

I use only the password manager in my browser so overriding is not a problem. The passwords are stored in an encrypted file and are visible only from within the browser and is difficult to impossible to access without physically having access to the computer. I had "fun" finding and accessing the Yahoo password from a backup drive and, even then, I had to access it through the browser on my backup computer. I don't like the idea my passwords being stored on the internet. Also, dedicated password managers are a bigger target for hackers (granted, they are a tough nut to crack but hackers go for the more visible targets).

I also only use the password manager on sites that aren't security critical, such as this one and Yahoo. I also will not use it on my financial sites. My pharmacy requires a pin number in addition to a password (which I feel is superior to requiring a text capable cell phone or another email site) which doesn't get saved in the password manager.
Jeannie

jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pm (remind me not to use password managers again).
I keep an external backup of my passwords as a safeguard against this type of problem. This is a slight security problem, but the alternatives are far worse. I also have multiple backups of the backup, but I would need one of the passwords in order to access them. So remember to think your recovery option through.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

If it's important, it's always backed up and backed up redundantly.

No exceptions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Portreve wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:10 pm If it's important, it's always backed up and backed up redundantly.

No exceptions.
I agree and did just that but for some reason I fail to fathom, the ones for Yahoo never "took" so I'm now using the old fashioned write it down technique.

In other news :?: , I got an email from System 76 asking a bunch of questions and asking me to try some diagnostics (none of which work). They also said that if they didn't work, they would send me a shipping label to return it to them for warranty work and asked for my shipping address. I haven't heard back from them yet.
Jeannie

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pmMy idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a month (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet).
<irony> Here is the appropriate requiem: All dead, all dead </irony>
(Admittedly, it is mostly the title, which made the song come up to my mind. Actually, it is not about a computer, but about a cat.)

<Seriously> After less than a month, the computer must still be under full warranty. So pass on your rant to the vendor. </Seriously>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

karlchen wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pmMy idiot $3k System 76 laptop just died after having it less than a month (I have case submitted to System 76 but haven't heard back yet).
<irony> Here is the appropriate requiem: All dead, all dead </irony>
(Admittedly, it is mostly the title, which made the song come up to my mind. Actually, it is not about a computer, but about a cat.)

<Seriously> After less than a month, the computer must still be under full warranty. So pass on your rant to the vendor. </Seriously>
My comment wasn't actually directed your way, good madam. And I agree: system failure in under a month is totally a vendor responsibility.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I do believe it's not a month old but maybe around a year (typo caused by rant causing frustration) given the slating of System76 that has been going on far longer than that over the same laptop. Also the third post corroborates it not being a month old.

Sorry you are being messed around by them Lady F.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

antikythera wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:13 pm I do believe it's not a month old but maybe around a year (typo caused by rant causing frustration) given the slating of System76 that has been going on far longer than that over the same laptop. Also the third post corroborates it not being a month old.

Sorry you are being messed around by them Lady F.
You are absolutely correct. "Month" was a typo. I corrected that first post. Than you for your comments.
Portreve wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:42 pm ...My comment wasn't actually directed your way, good madam. And I agree: system failure in under a month is totally a vendor responsibility.
I didn't take your comment personally and actually agree with you. I goofed in the first post. It should have been less than a "year" not month. Nobody's perfect (and here is where someone can make the crack, "I wish people would calling me Nobody!" :wink: ).
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

karlchen wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:22 pm
...<Seriously> After less than a month, the computer must still be under full warranty. So pass on your rant to the vendor. </Seriously>
Seriously? Did you miss the three times I mentioned that I have contacted System 76 (including in the post you quoted and the post I made just before your's and that they have responded once so far.

I know that some people do not want to read other's rants (and I don't have a problem with that) which is why I included it in the title of this thread. If you don't like rants, don't read them when you have been warned.

Moving right along, I still haven't heard back from System 76 about a shipping label to return the computer for warranty repair.

Edit: I just now got an email from System 76 telling me as soon as an RMA number is assigned, they will send me a shipping label. I have to give them points for knowing that RMA Return Material Authorization) is a noun, not a verb like pretty much all the computer industry does.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”