Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:09 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:38 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:23 am Any updates?
Not yet. Today they will have had it for a week. When I got the RMA, they said it might take a while longer due to the pandemic. While the pandemic has caused a lot of problems for businesses, I've gotten sick and tired of many of them automatically blaming it for problems that existed before the pandemic or even new ones that cropped up since the start of the pandemic (seriously, they have had up to a year to figure out how to deal with the pandemic). Every time I've been given that reason for a problem and I pushed back hard enough, they would break down and admit it wasn't the pandemic or the pandemic was only partially the reason.

OK, rant over. If I don't hear anything from them soon, I'm going to send them a polite nastygram.
Well I hope it gets back soon, and in working order. BTW their new AMD system came out, but it only has the same 49 w/hr battery as my Darter Pro instead of the 73 w/hr battery of the Lemur or new Darter.
I was not impressed with the specs of their new AMD systems. The only model (Bonobo) that comes remotely close to what I have now has Coreboot.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I sent them a polite (seriously, it was polite) asking what was the status on my computer. This is the highly detailed and informative response I received.

"Your Serval WS has been received and is currently being evaluated by our technicians."

Sigh! :roll: They received it a week ago and it's still just being evaluated?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:22 pm I sent them a polite (seriously, it was polite) asking what was the status on my computer. This is the highly detailed and informative response I received.

"Your Serval WS has been received and is currently being evaluated by our technicians."

Sounds more like the warehouse has it now, we will get to it when we damn well have time
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:05 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:22 pm I sent them a polite (seriously, it was polite) asking what was the status on my computer. This is the highly detailed and informative response I received.

Sounds more like the warehouse has it now, we will get to it when we damn well have time
Methinks you have hit the head on the nail.

(head on the nail?)

(I blame it on the pandemic.)
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:09 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:38 am

Not yet. Today they will have had it for a week. When I got the RMA, they said it might take a while longer due to the pandemic. While the pandemic has caused a lot of problems for businesses, I've gotten sick and tired of many of them automatically blaming it for problems that existed before the pandemic or even new ones that cropped up since the start of the pandemic (seriously, they have had up to a year to figure out how to deal with the pandemic). Every time I've been given that reason for a problem and I pushed back hard enough, they would break down and admit it wasn't the pandemic or the pandemic was only partially the reason.

OK, rant over. If I don't hear anything from them soon, I'm going to send them a polite nastygram.
Well I hope it gets back soon, and in working order. BTW their new AMD system came out, but it only has the same 49 w/hr battery as my Darter Pro instead of the 73 w/hr battery of the Lemur or new Darter.
I was not impressed with the specs of their new AMD systems. The only model (Bonobo) that comes remotely close to what I have now has Coreboot.
And it is now unavailable. Looks like refresh time to me.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:22 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:44 am I was not impressed with the specs of their new AMD systems. The only model (Bonobo) that comes remotely close to what I have now has Coreboot.
And it is now unavailable. Looks like refresh time to me.
Half of their models were unavailable for a while but they are slowly getting some back in stock.

In other news (yup, I said it again), I got an email this morning saying it was fixed and I would get it back sometime tomorrow (they didn't say what was wrong with it). I have another package coming in on Saturday so I'll pick up both of them then (if I feel up to it; old age sucks!).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hopefully your computer will be as good as new, if not better.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:29 am Hopefully your computer will be as good as new, if not better.
Thank you! Time will tell.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Rant Alert!

Well, I won't be picking up the repaired computer before Monday. The package that was supposed to be delivered today won't be delivered until Monday supposedly due to an unreadable label, according to FedEx (or Fed Up, the way I feel about them due to the way they have been fouling up lately), something I wonder about (that should have been caught with the package scan when it was picked up). Also, my prescriptions should have been ready for pickup yesterday; they haven't been filled yet.

I'm trying to avoid leaving home as much as possible because of this stupid pandemic but the ineptness of idiot vendors, carriers, etc. is making it darned difficult. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rant over. You are now being returned to your regularly scheduled forums.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Ugh, I feel your pain.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Back yet?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:27 pmBack yet?
It's been delivered to my mail service but I haven't been able to get down there to pick it up yet due to another vendor and the carrier they used screwing up and causing a package to be delayed, my pharmacy failing to notify me my prescriptions were filled like they said they would, dealing with water outages due to repairs being done to the water system where I live, my *&^%$#@! allergies acting up, and my DSPD acting up more than usual, keeping me up all night (I refuse to drive with toothpicks holing my eyelids open). I'm hoping I'll be able to get out tomorrow.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well best of luck.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Thanks!
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Latest update: I just picked up my computer from my mail service and it fired right up on battery only and the original SSD with Ubuntu on it still inside. I'll reinstall my drives later; right now, I'm too pooped from waddling errands today after a short night (old age sucks) and I still need to make a dumpster run...er...waddle.

They didn't include any paperwork saying what was wrong with it so I fired off a message asking them what ailed it.
Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I swapped out the factory M.2 SSD (which they installed in the wrong slot again) with my SSD that has Linux Mint 19.r 64 bit Cinnamon installed on it (and I put it in the correct slot) and ran into problems; it won't boot. I'll discuss this in more detail in another thread.

I also wrote System 76 last night to ask what repairs had been done and they replied that they had asked their "repair team" and would let me know when they got a reply.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:33 pm I swapped out the factory M.2 SSD (which they installed in the wrong slot again) with my SSD that has Linux Mint 19.r 64 bit Cinnamon installed on it (and I put it in the correct slot) and ran into problems; it won't boot. I'll discuss this in more detail in another thread.

I also wrote System 76 last night to ask what repairs had been done and they replied that they had asked their "repair team" and would let me know when they got a reply.
Ugh, it will not boot, just great.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:56 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:33 pm I swapped out the factory M.2 SSD (which they installed in the wrong slot again) with my SSD that has Linux Mint 19.r 64 bit Cinnamon installed on it (and I put it in the correct slot) and ran into problems; it won't boot. I'll discuss this in more detail in another thread.

Ugh, it will not boot, just great.
Agreed. Truth be told, though, I half expected it since I had sent the computer back with the original SSD that had Ubuntu on it instead of my SSD with Mint on it. I'm going to try to fix the boot loader per the directions in an article rene linked in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=345854&p=1992603#p1992603).

I wrote a basic tutorial last night before sacking out showing the directions given as easier for me to follow step by step directions I printed instead of having to dig them out of the article's text and put them in order as I go (I get confused so easily :? ) and won't be dependent on having to read them from my notebook. I'll try them out later today when I'm wider awake and get my internet and power set up again for the laptop. I had the laptop PSU Velcroed to the side of my desk to keep it and the power cables off the floor for easier floor cleaning (I can easily use a small shop blower to blow dust from behind and under the desk, subwoofer, and night stand as long as all the cables, etc. are off the floor) and had to remove it when I sent the laptop off for repair; now, I get to move furniture to put it back so it is out of the way).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well I hope that everything gets back to normal.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Latest update: I goat an email from System 76 saying they replaced the graphics card. Now I have yet another reason to despise NVIDIA.

I haven't tried the fix recommended in the other thread I created about the boot issue yet. Even after a late morning nap, I still don't feel like I got my nap up. My back is complaining more than my children did on a long trip (moving furniture last night to replace the PSU on the side of my desk didn't help) and I feel like I abdicated from the human race. Once I have lunch and move around a bit to work out the kinks--gotta love old Uncle Arthur(itis)--I'll get the little beast set up and give it a try.
Jeannie

Return to “Open Chat”