Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Computer Died (Rant Alert)

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:19 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:41 am I am hoping that you get it back and running properly RSN.
Thanks! I'm still waiting to hear back from them since their latest email Sunday.
It is taking long enough, so there must have been a REAL problem with the system.
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

Man, I feel you.
I had a HDD fail on me that I had everything on. passwords, data I had for years.
Did never get it back and when I RMA'd it; they said it's dead and replaced it.

I still, to this day; need stuff that was stored on that dead HDD.

I hate PC hardware, sometimes.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:39 am Man, I feel you.
I had a HDD fail on me that I had everything on. passwords, data I had for years.

The solution is backup. If you didn't back up, it's your fault.There should always be minimum 2 copies of your data, one on an external drive. The importance of backup is known only when the disk fails, till that time we tend to ignore it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:51 am

The solution is backup. If you didn't back up, it's your fault.There should always be minimum 2 copies of your data, one on an external drive. The importance of backup is known only when the disk fails, till that time we tend to ignore it.
Yep, you're right.
After that happened, I stored some stuff I can't lose on different USB's. same stuff, different USB's.
I even backup my OS's now with clonezilla (can't use clonezilla on arm64 but can still back-it-up) so yeah, you don't know you need a backup until your hardware fails you. :P
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:51 am

Yep, you're right.
After that happened, I stored some stuff I can't lose on different USB's. same stuff, different USB's.
I even backup my OS's now with clonezilla (can't use clonezilla on arm64 but can still back-it-up) so yeah, you don't know you need a backup until your hardware fails you. :P
+1 For Clonezilla. It's fast and very reliable, never failed me when I needed to recover partitions.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is clonezilla really good?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:06 am Is clonezilla really good?
for those who can get thru the insane text only menu, it works fine.

but for the neophyte to that damn incarnation, it is junk.

I now only use FoxClone, simple GUI, uses the same underlying copying rsync commands, and works like a charm.

just used it 2 days ago to back up my daughter's Win10 which has a Peppermint installation also,
I just checked a single box Call all partitions and left it alone, and went to eat supper.

worked like a charm.

www.Foxclone.com

or http://www.hardwickhome.net/ for the Archives
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:06 am Is clonezilla really good?
As AZgl1500 pointed out, it works fine but the GUI is not all intuitive. I had to use it with the Laptop still in the shop because of the NVIDIA graphics card in it won't work with Rescuezilla or Foxclone due to driver issues (NVIDIA's fault; Andy has said he may add an NVIDIA driver to Foxclone in the future).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

So far,
Foxclone has worked on every laptop that I have used it on.

an old Dell Aspire 5253,
a newish Acer 17",
a 12 year old ASUS TUF G53,
and my newest, ASUS TUF FX705GM, Nvidia
and a ASUS TP500L, Nvidia
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Same is the case with Clonezilla, it has worked on various hardwares. There are tutorials on how to use them and it's quite easy. You can't use mouse and have to navigate with keyboard.
Regards,
Deepak

thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

I God damn jinxed myself! :shock:
My WD My Book 3TB stopped working. tried different leads, power supplies, different PC's! completely dead.
Took the HDD out the carrier and put it into another and it's working. just lost data.

Ugh, wish I would've backed that up!!!!!
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm I God damn jinxed myself! :shock:
My WD My Book 3TB stopped working. tried different leads, power supplies, different PC's! completely dead.
Took the HDD out the carrier and put it into another and it's working. just lost data.

If it is indeed working check to see if it may have saved your data in hidden files. Use the View menu to confirm.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

chiefjim wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:23 pm
thatchunkylad198966 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:10 pm I God damn jinxed myself! :shock:

If it is indeed working check to see if it may have saved your data in hidden files. Use the View menu to confirm.
That's the crappy thing; it was formatted to NTFS through Windows 10 and it had a GPT partition because it's over 2TB.
I gave up, formatted to ext4 and going to deal with the data loss.

The most important stuff that I had on there is on my USB sticks.
Mainly lost "linux.iso's" but I can download them again.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have all of my eggs in one backup basket, a 6TB that is split into NTSF and ext4

it isn't used much, so hopefully it will last me a long time.
got stuff on there that is over 10 years old.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 am I have all of my eggs in one backup basket, a 6TB that is split into NTSF and ext4

You're braver than I am. I'm still maintaining the four data drives from my last desktop machine for use in the machine under construction (it must be a Government job since it's taking forever). Since even backup drives can die with no warning whatsoever (and because I have back trouble; a wide yellow streak running down it :? ), I have a set of four, identical backup drives for each data drive formatted NTFS (so my "baby" sister can read them on a Windwoes machine after I die). I keep two of each set at home and two in my safe deposit box at my credit union and swap them out at least once a month.

My laptop (which is homesteading in the shop right now) has three data drives: two 4TB 2.5" SSDs and one 8TB SSD split into two 4TB partitions. The data on them is identical to the data on the desktop data drives. I have one external backup drive for each data drive/partition formatted ext4 that are kept in the laptop case so, if I lose a data drive when away from home, I can swap in a spare also in in the laptop case and repopulate it from the backup. I use the laptop backup drives to sync data between the desktop drives and the laptop drives via sneakernet.

For most people, this is way overkill but I have a lot of data that would be difficult to impossible and expensive to replace plus I believe I hinted that I'm a coward, paranoid, and just plain old chicken. It has saved my bacon...er...saved data more than once, though.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 am I have all of my eggs in one backup basket, a 6TB that is split into NTSF and ext4

External drives fail. Mine failed too which was seldom used and I lost a lot of data.
Regards,
Deepak

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:31 am

External drives fail. Mine failed too which was seldom used and I lost a lot of data.
I've been trying to talk myself into getting a 2nd backup drive, the 6TB is a bit over 50% full now after 5 or 6 years of use, it is never "ON" unless I need to use it.

EDIT: bit the bullet, ordered up another 8TB SeaGate Hub drive, I really like them, they provide extra USB ports if your laptop only has one spare one left, and the extUSB gobbles it up.

2nd thing I like about them, is they can be left plugged in to A/C power, but they are powered down, unless the cable is plugged into a PC, then it turns ON.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Man, System 76 just really jacked their prices! No more for me then.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 am Man, System 76 just really jacked their prices! No more for me then.
Anything, such as CPU and GPU chips, memory, SSDs, etc. that uses silicon chips is going to go up in price a lot (if it hasn't already) due to the current chip shortage (which will last at least to the end 2021).

I also read somewhere that System76 is going to start designing and building their own computers. So far, it appears that effort has gone mostly into new desktop machines. They are out of most of their laptops and the only one (the Bonobo) that barely holds a candle to the one I have is no longer listed online.
Jeannie

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

2 of my Seagate external drives and 2 of my relative's failed. Then I went for an Western Digital. I only use the external drives for backups.
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Open Chat”