Remember Those That Keep LM Up and Running for US

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Remember Those That Keep LM Up and Running for US

Post by JTemple »

If you happen to think about it and have a little extra cash, you might consider donating to https://linuxmint.com/donors.php
It's a nice way to show appreciation for all the work that goes in to keeping LM up to date and beautifully functional. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Remember Those He Keep LM Up and Running for US

Post by Moem »

👍

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Remember Those That Keep LM Up and Running for US

Post by Portreve »

Without a doubt, Linux Mint represents a sweet spot for myself and a great many others. This project is the source of the spice Melange, er, I mean Cinnamon, which in my experience is the cleanest, most intuitive, and friendly desktop environment out there. And while it would never pass muster with Richard Stallman or others for being an exclusively libre licensed-code bearing distro, for me, the comparatively small bits of proprietary code are (until such time as things external to this or any other distro radically change) what make Linux Mint "just work" for me.

Linux Mint is modern, smooth, stable, and functionally useful. That's why I use it, and why I auto-donate $5 (~€4,18) every month to Clem & Co.

The Spice Must Flow
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Chris Tinacan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chris Tinacan »

Just donated for the first time after seeing this thread. I've been meaning to do it for a while but never did, thanks for the nudge in the right direction!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Portreve wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:11 pm Linux Mint is modern, smooth, stable, and functionally useful. That's why I use it, and why I auto-donate $5 (~€4,18) every month to Clem & Co.
The Spice Must Flow
Well Done!! :D
I also auto donate monthly.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Chris Tinacan wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:39 pm Just donated for the first time after seeing this thread. I've been meaning to do it for a while but never did, thanks for the nudge in the right direction!
:oops: I can be pushy that way. I'm glad nobody felt offended by my post and I know the LM teams will be very grateful for your support. :D Every dime helps!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Did I mention I am, in no way, affiliated. I'm just a user like most everybody here.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

If a person in the USA uses LM for work and donates to the project, is that amount tax-deductible? Because, as far as I know, donations to certain charities are tax deductible and normal business expenses are too but a donation to a commercial entity might not be. I do not know.

If that is the case maybe LM could issue some kind of "business license invoice" for whatever amount the user wants to donate?

Many software vendors allow free private use but require a license for business use. What is the situation with LM?

Personally I have always felt fine with using software for free if it was for occasional private personal use but I have also felt an obligation to pay if the software was being used to generate revenue.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

GS3 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:58 pm If a person in the USA uses LM for work and donates to the project, is that amount tax-deductible? Because, as far as I know, donations to certain charities are tax deductible and normal business expenses are too but a donation to a commercial entity might not be. I do not know.

If that is the case maybe LM could issue some kind of "business license invoice" for whatever amount the user wants to donate?

Many software vendors allow free private use but require a license for business use. What is the situation with LM?

Personally I have always felt fine with using software for free if it was for occasional private personal use but I have also felt an obligation to pay if the software was being used to generate revenue.
IANAL, IANAA.

That said, it would be my guess Clem would need to set up something similar to what RedHat has done. I can't imagine him doing that (or wanting to).

Question: Is it necessary that you get a tax deduction just to do something nice, such as helping to support Linux Mint, and more indirectly, the GNU+Linux world? Or, are you asking in a broader context, such as finding a way to encourage other individuals and/or organizations to donate?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Portreve wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:22 pm IANAL, IANAA.

That said, it would be my guess Clem would need to set up something similar to what RedHat has done. I can't imagine him doing that (or wanting to).

Question: Is it necessary that you get a tax deduction just to do something nice, such as helping to support Linux Mint, and more indirectly, the GNU+Linux world? Or, are you asking in a broader context, such as finding a way to encourage other individuals and/or organizations to donate?
It might be good to remember what any other OS from the big guys would cost to purchase, LM is absolutely FREE!! It is a gift from the foundation to any person that wants to use it. I started donating because at my low level of donations, it would take years to pay the full value of what I was given. On the other hand I donate to ANY organization that I habitually use. My reasons are entirely self serving! I want them to be able to continue to provide service to me. I give to Wikipedia, the Guardian, Mozilla, CBC and Romeo Dallaire's The Child Soldiers Initiative. (The Child Soldiers are a security issue! The kids are used as weapons and there is an endless supply of them)

Return to “Open Chat”