(SOLVED)Retired (Looking for ideas)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Retired (Looking for ideas)

Post by Moonstone Man »

GS3 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:55 pm
RollyShed wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:06 am... something called Men's Sheds.
I be more inclined to patronise a place called the "Ladies' Shed" :)
GIF! GIF!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:36 pm Reality does not exist in the stream of photons from a computer screen.
Sooooooo.... define reality.
Prsman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Prsman »

He could open and manage a dive called "Prsman's Tequila and Ladies' Shed".

Been built and open for years now.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Prsman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:25 pm He could open and manage a dive called "Prsman's Tequila and Ladies' Shed".

Been built and open for years now.
Oops! Sorry! It's so dark in here I mistook you for the OP. :oops:
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
jofraprez
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jofraprez »

I would like to thank you for all your ideas and opinions.
In the end, it has been a very helpful and cathartic effect for me and, as some would say, I know what I have to do in the end.
To top it off, I have taken several steps to continue and I have even met a girl (my age) and I am having a great time.
I am retired but not tired. Attentive and waiting for an exciting project that is worth pursuing....
I think I can call the matter solved.
Thank you all again.
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED)Retired (Looking for ideas)

Post by old_noob »

OP, I am jealous but not jealous. Just turned 60 and will be working for awhile, but my health is good, not so much as a cold in over 4 years.

One thing I'm hoping to do when I retire is helping low income kids with technology. People throw away a lot of perfectly good, or in need of minor repair, computers at the local waste district collection points. I would love to get these fixed up (i.e. install Linux) and get them in the hands of needy children. Mexico seems an ideal place to do something similar.
frank84
Level 2
Level 2

Post by frank84 »

Hi jofraprez,

In case you are still
waiting for an exciting project that is worth pursuing....
, and found the comment in old_noob's post interesting, you might find this website worth a visit.

The "Personal Computers for Under-served Communities" website includes photos and a brief overview about how an invitation and visit to an impoverished community in southern Mexico led to a desire to help provide better educational and occupational opportunities for the villagers. Those "better opportunities" were provided by installing Linux Mint and additional Linux software on old "retired" (free) computers and delivering the computers (and some guidance) to a local charity that serves the community.

Documents available from the website provide guidance and an example of a plan to carry out a similar project at a location of your choosing. Much of the guidance is targeted at Linux beginners but you might find things like the list of software suggested for improving educational and occupational opportunities in communities with no Internet service to be interesting.

From my own experience, getting involved with this kind of project has a lot of upside. You may get an opportunity to meet some very interesting people in a community that may really appreciate your help. And your assistance could result in a huge improvement for their community. Plus, I have met a lot of great people that work or volunteer at charities. You may find that an experience like this can feel like you are living a refreshingly different life for a while as you immerse yourself in a substantially different world surrounded by interesting new friends.

If you don't want to start your own project or physically visit or reach out to a specific charity or community, you could still offer online assistance to people attempting to complete this kind of project. You can do this by replying to the "Would You Like to Help a Project as a Volunteer?" post on the blog page.

Good luck, I hope you find some exciting projects that are worth pursuing....
jofraprez
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jofraprez »

frank84 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 am Hi jofraprez,

In case you are still
waiting for an exciting project that is worth pursuing....
, and found the comment in old_noob's post interesting, you might find this website worth a visit...
Thank you very much for the information.
I am reviewing the website and will offer my help in whatever way I can.
Thank you very much again. :)

Return to “Open Chat”