Why no small smart phones

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Why no small smart phones

Post by andyO »

Warning - this is mainly a rant.

It's time for me to get a new smart phone. Sadly I am really dissapointed with the offering for android phones. The three main features I like in a phone are form factor (compactness), waterproofness and camera. It seems in the last few years, phones just keep getting bigger and bigger and it really frustrates me. Ideally I would like a phone which is no taller than 130mm. Sony used to make a decent line in compact phones, but nowadays good luck if you can find anything shorter than 140mm!
I fully understand that many people like the big screen and that is fine. Surely it is not just me who would desire a small form factor though. If I want to do any serious computing or watch a movie etc I'll do that on my main PC with a lovely big screen. For "out and about" purposes a 5" screen is plenty big enough for messaging, maps or checking transport timetables/service updates.

Is anyone else like me - have any solutions for a android/linux solution?

To compound frustrations apple have a line of compact phones. :evil:

[edit: correct 'cm' to 'mm' - oops :oops: - thanks BenTrabetere]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why no small smart phones

Post by AndyMH »

I couldn't agree more. Currently have a Sony, but no idea what I'd replace it with. Maybe time to get the old Nokia out.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Try having hands my size and even the 5 inchers are too big.

My cell provider was sending me notices that I needed to get a new phone because they are shutting down 3G. My phone is 4G LTE, but it was not on their list on the website. Because of that, I was out checking to see what might fit my small hands. Even the latest "mini" iPhone is too big. Turns out the list on their website is only the "big names" and my phone will continue to work per their Tech support person I talked with.

My phone is a Unihertz Jelly Pro that is a couple of years old and I can easily hold it for longer phone calls. The Unihertz phones may be smaller than what you want and I have not checked how good the cameras are on their latest models, but they are Android. (I use my "real" camera when I good photos.)
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Those unihertz models look interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also can see the logic in that if you really want to take good photos get a properly good camera.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 am Try having hands my size and even the 5 inchers are too big.

My cell provider was sending me notices that I needed to get a new phone because they are shutting down 3G. My phone is 4G LTE, but it was not on their list on the website. Because of that, I was out checking to see what might fit my small hands. Even the latest "mini" iPhone is too big. Turns out the list on their website is only the "big names" and my phone will continue to work per their Tech support person I talked with.

My phone is a Unihertz Jelly Pro that is a couple of years old and I can easily hold it for longer phone calls. The Unihertz phones may be smaller than what you want and I have not checked how good the cameras are on their latest models, but they are Android. (I use my "real" camera when I good photos.)
I have never bought a phone as I just get hand-me-downs from all and sundry. At present I have Samsung Galaxy S7 which is probably on the large side of things. I had a 3G iPhone which had a tiny screen. Then they said #G is disappearing and you need to move to 4G so I got this one. A year and a half later 3G is still there. I guess enough people complained and they decided to keep it a bit longer.

At any rate, I am using a large phone which has a case with a ring in the back which you can flip out and it can be used as a "stand" or when talking you can put a finger through it and it is safer and more comfortable than holding the entire phone.

I never really had a problem with a large phone because all my shirts have large military-style pockets with a flap that prevents the phone from sliding out when I lean forward.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

andyO wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 am Ideally I would like a phone which is no taller than 130cm. Sony used to make a decent line in compact phones, but nowadays good luck if you can find anything shorter than 140cm!
Are you sure about those measurements? Unless my Metric to American conversion is off, 130cm is around 50-inches. My television is smaller than that. :wink: Perhaps you meant millimeters?

Here is a recent review of small Android phones.
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-s ... es-782746/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Eya - good eyes, you may have bent ears but your eyes are in fine shape. :wink:

I should have typed "mm" not "cm" wowsers a 1.3m phone would need a car rather than a pocket. :shock: I'll go edit my first post, just to avoid confusion.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't think the industry is trying, overall, to go for compactness in the sense of screen size. We're going more for full featured replacements for, like I dunno, 80%+ of use cases for what used to be done on computers, and dropping the screen size is antithetical to that goal.

I know Apple makes smaller-sized units, and if that's still too big... well, I don't really know what to tell you. Don't get a smart phone? I doubt you'd find that suggestion very satisfying, even though there's any number of LMF members refuse to own anything but a flip phone, and some refusing even to own that much portable technology.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

Portreve wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:34 am I don't think the industry is trying, overall, to go for compactness in the sense of screen size. We're going more for full featured replacements for, like I dunno, 80%+ of use cases for what used to be done on computers, and dropping the screen size is antithetical to that goal.
Yeah, I totally get that. It seems some people want to replace their PC\tablet with just a phone, which is fine, I can understand that viewpoint. It just seems a shame that when such a plethora of handsets are released each year they all seem to be targeted at the "do everything" audience. I know I'm a niche case, but I didn't think that niche.
Portreve wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:34 am I know Apple makes smaller-sized units, and if that's still too big... well, I don't really know what to tell you.
The smaller sized Apple models are a decent size, that is why I'm frustrated. Apple seems to 'get' the market segment I'm in (sizewise anyway). Would I be able to use it with my Linux PC though to, transfer files/photos etc. I'll admit I've never used an apple device before so I don't know. My music is in .mp3 or .flac format - would an iPhone play that and can I simply connect to my PC to transfer photos (in a universal format?)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

andyO wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:19 amAlso can see the logic in that if you really want to take good photos get a properly good camera.
I my case I already have a camera. Not quite as convenient to carry with the telephoto lens and viewfinder, but easier to focus on bright, sunny days. (It's an Olympus PEN which my small hands can easily manage.)
GS3 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:27 amAt any rate, I am using a large phone which has a case with a ring in the back which you can flip out and it can be used as a "stand" or when talking you can put a finger through it and it is safer and more comfortable than holding the entire phone.
Back when I was on Facebook, a high school mate was selling cases she made with an attached band/handle through which one could slip their hand to hold the phone, so I know there are ways to work around the fact being a phone is now a secondary use of most of these devices.

My current phone easily fits into the phone pocket in my purse (made back in the days when phones were not gargantuan) and it also easily fits into the pocket on my water carrier belt I use for exercising.
BenTrabetere wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:05 amHere is a recent review of small Android phones.
https://www.androidauthority.com/best-s ... es-782746/
So funny that a "small" phone review has the Unihertz Atom XL because apparently the regular Atom is too small to be consider in the small Android phone category. :lol: The regular Atom came out after the Jelly's success (model I have).

Phones that small are not for everyone. One learns real fast what apps really need to be running and draining the small battery.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've got the iPhone SE and it is fast, takes great pictures. It also took a swim in Palm Springs last week and still works :oops:
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:50 pm because apparently the regular Atom is too small to be consider in the small Android phone category.
It did seem that that review considered anything less than 6" a 'small phone'. Not my definition, small to me means less than 5".
If you want small :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/smallest-mobil ... ljaz10cnVl
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

One learns real fast what apps really need to be running and draining the small battery.
You sure do...lol...My carrier just forced a smart phone on me for free because their network will no longer allow my stupid phone to work on it...lol...I immediately turned that smart phone into a stupid phone...uninstalled all apps that could be uninstalled...Disabled everything else including google chrome browser, etc etc etc...i even went so far as disabling the camera and texting, and disabled every single permission possible except for phone...Now im happy with my new stupid phone and only have to charge the battery every 2 weeks...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07 pmIf you want small :D
https://www.amazon.co.uk/smallest-mobil ... ljaz10cnVl
That's a 2G phone, so it's going the way of the phone dinosaurs. All the carriers in the USA are requiring phones to be at least 4G LTE to work. In the USA you are going to get Voice over LTE whether you want it or not and you have to have a phone capable of supporting it. :|
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:41 pmI immediately turned that smart phone into into a stupid phone...uninstalled all apps that could be uninstalled...Disabled everything else including google chrome browser, etc etc etc...i even went so far as disabling the camera and texting, and disabled every single permission possible except for phone...Now im happy with my new stupid phone and only have to charge the battery every 2 weeks...lol...DAMIEN
:lol:

GPS and data are two big power drains I have turned off. Back in the days when data cost an arm and a leg to use on a phone I got in the habit of only turning on data when I was using it. I had that Palm Treo for many years, so when I bought the Unihertz Jelly Pro it was just second nature for me to do the same.

I had a phone before I bought the Jelly for which I turned off the data. The provider, through the cell connection, turned the data on to download an app to the phone (one of the cellphone company apps if I recall correctly). They can do sneaky things from their end. :evil: I bought that phone outright, so it wasn't like it was still their phone.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

GPS and data are two big power drains I have turned off
YEP...disabled GPS and all location permissions as well as disabling Mobile Data...The phone is incapable of receiving any updates whatsoever until i turn it on to do so...Dont intend to unless i know there is an OS update...lol...DAMIEN
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

SMG wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:15 am
That phone would be ideal for me if only Ubuntu Touch could be installed on it so I could have the best of both worlds in terms of size and privacy. My Nokia 2720 Fold dumb phone is the one I carry all the time but it gets little to no signal at home, so I also have a Nexus 5 smart phone with Ubuntu Touch for its 4G signal.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

andyO wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:07 pm The smaller sized Apple models are a decent size, that is why I'm frustrated. Apple seems to 'get' the market segment I'm in (sizewise anyway). Would I be able to use it with my Linux PC though to, transfer files/photos etc. I'll admit I've never used an apple device before so I don't know. My music is in .mp3 or .flac format - would an iPhone play that and can I simply connect to my PC to transfer photos (in a universal format?)
The short answer is no. The slightly longer answer is probably no.

Yes, there's been efforts over the years by the GNU+Linux community to support iOS-based devices and basic iDevices, spanning the gammut from iPods to iPhones. However, it's a cat-and-mouse game because Apple doesn't want their devices being utilized independent from their own conduit (i.e. iTunes) and so that's really just not a good place to be.

iOS has the potential to be the most amazing and wonderful small-form-factor OS ever. Goodness only knows Apple's moved Heaven and Earth and spent more money than any of us has ever seen on all their frontline products. However, they then hobble and restrict it, and of course nothing "can be done about" it because it's all closed off and proprietary, and truly reverse engineering it would not only be the greatest cat-and-mouse game of all time, but likely would run afoul of such things as the DMCA.

This past December I had the opportunity to play with an iPhone 11 and the latest release of iOS 11 (iOS 12 hadn't been released just yet) and it was slick and smooth and had a lot of things going for it, but at the end of the day it felt like I was wearing handcuffs.

So no, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Of course, not that this your situation, but there are other case useages for iOS-running devices, such as medical applications, and sadly that's not an area Google has pursued aggressively like Apple has.

I love being able to connect my phone to my computer, mounting the storage, and then chucking onto it (or copying off of it) any files I like, such as photos, music, videos, sounds for alarms, notifications, and ringtones, etc.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

The problem, as far as I can make out, is that most people use their phones very seldom for making phone calls in the old sense of "calling" somebody; they are no longer mainly phone but computers that can, should you wish, be used for making a phone call.

Calling some of the bigger ones phones is a bit of a misnomer!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ajgreeny wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:27 pm Calling some of the bigger ones phones is a bit of a misnomer!
I have one of those bigger models; some people call them 'phablets', a porte-manteau that combines 'phone' and 'tablet'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”