The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Post by JTemple »

Law 1: Always and inevitably everyone underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
Law 2: The probability that a certain person be stupid is independent of any other characteristic of that person.
Law 3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
Law 4: Non-stupid people always underestimate the damaging power of stupid individuals. In particular non-stupid people constantly forget that at all times and places and under any circumstances to deal and/or associate with stupid people always turns out to be a costly mistake.
Law 5: A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person. A stupid person is more dangerous than a bandit.
Stupidity.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Re: The Five Universal Laws of Human Stupidity

Post by kelevra »

Being an Automotive Technician in a major metropolis was the perfect opportunity to meet them. People that are so smart that they are stupid.
'My windshield wipers don't wash anymore', not realizing that you have to fill the system for it to work. (doctor)
'There is a red light on in my dash', the oil light was a bad sign. Not to mention the funny noises. (lawyer}
'The tire pressure light is on', meanwhile the rear tire has been shredded. (lawyer's wife)
There have been so many over the years.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Facebook.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MartyMint wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm Facebook.
:lol:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

JTemple wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person. A stupid person is more dangerous than a bandit
Especially at the voting booth.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance. No one in this world, so far as I know has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”
― H.L. Mencken, Notes on Democracy
But what the world needs desperately is not more intelligence but more kindness, more respect, more good intentions, more humility. I will take a kind, loving person even if not the brightest over a a selfish, nasty, self-centered intelligent person.

And be aware we are all brighter in our own domain and stupider in others. The car mechanic laughs at the stupid lawyer while the lawyer does the same about the car mechanic for not knowing some basic common law term. Haha, the guy did not know what "strict vicarious liability" is. And all the lawyers around him in the office have a good chuckle.

I have never put any poster on ignore for being stupid or ignorant but I have for being rude and arrogant. I have no time for people like that no matter how knowledgeable or intelligent they think they are.

I find I can learn something from most people, even those not as bright and as well educated as me. Knowledge and intelligence are much more collective things than we believe. Each one of us benefits from this collective knowledge. Let us be kind to each other. Even those who we think are not so bright.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

MartyMint wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm Facebook.
I could NOT....agree more. That's why I call it " trashbook" as well as " quitter" and "instaglam"
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Never under estimate the power of human stupidity. Never. Every single time I tell myself that I have seen it all, no one can do anything more idiotic than the last thing I saw, someone comes along and just leaves me shaking my head, telling myself: "Didn't see that one coming". Over the last 27 years I have watched more human beings exterminate themselves in new and novel ways that just leave me shaking my head, and telling shocked young deputies; "You ain't seen nothing yet, give it a few more years".
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

My opinion of the intelligence of the general population has been plummeting for the past 20 years. Every time I think rock bottom's been reached, a new crop of "improved" idiots comes along.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

JTemple wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am Law 3. A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.
This person could be completely bat guano insane not stupid. I think I know more then a few people who do this kind of stuff all the time, just because they can't provide a reason does not mean that they didn't have a reason.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

JTemple wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:56 am Law 5: A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person. A stupid person is more dangerous than a bandit.
A former boss was a Ken Blanchard acolyte - his mantra (and, thanks to his leadership [/sarcasm], the Vision Statement for our work group) was that insipid “None of us is as smart as all of us.”
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

GS3 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:10 pm I find I can learn something from most people, even those not as bright and as well educated as me. Knowledge and intelligence are much more collective things than we believe. Each one of us benefits from this collective knowledge. Let us be kind to each other. Even those who we think are not so bright.
Hi GS3, yep, this would be my philosophy as well. I also think we can impart knowledge when needed thereby helping things along. I find if someone is a bit resistant then injecting a little humour often makes them more receptive.

No one knows everything, and personally I try to stay open to learning new stuff myself too.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

There are actually six laws of Human Stupidity...You forgot the most important one of the six...DAMIEN

"You just can't fix stupid"...lol.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Mick-Cork wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:10 am No one knows everything, and personally I try to stay open to learning new stuff myself too.
Why is it that it is always others who are "stupid"? Nobody says about themselves or a loved one that they are stupid. It is always others. No mother says her son is stupid, it is always something like "he's been diagnosed with matho-geometric-spatial hyperwindyloop and that's why he needs special help". But he's not stupid.

In fact it is people who are not so superior who overestimate their capabilities while the truly superior do not.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger effect.

Most really intelligent and capable people I have met in life have been considerate and nice and did not go around berating people for being stupid.

The world is the way it is. If someone is born "stupid" there is nothing he can do about it. It is not like people wilfully and deliberately choose to be stupid. On the contrary, it is a limitation that they have to deal with every moment of their life.

It is inadmissible to make fun of a physical defect or characteristic but it is acceptable to say someone is stupid? It seems there is a fine line that must not be crossed. It is OK to make fun of the merely "stupid" but not if they have a recognized and named syndrome in which case they are untouchable.

Stupid, like other negative traits is always a characteristic of others, never ourselves.

All my life I have been more intellectual than most people around me. I liked to discuss, think, read, learn, understand about many things. Most people around me have other inclinations and that is fine and even necessary. The world would be a disaster if everybody was just looking at the ceiling pondering and thinking about the universe. Many people are lazy about physical work and, similarly, many people are lazy about mental work. That's just the way the world is.

A few geniuses, like Newton, have contributed immensely to human knowledge but the people who make life pleasant are those who are kind and understanding and helpful.

Powerful people and powerful countries say they want to help powerless people in powerless countries ad the way to go about it is to use force, start wars, etc. which cause untold misery in those who they are supposedly trying to help. In the meanwhile the real helpers are those charities who are helping the poor build, work, feed themselves, helping with health care, etc. Those are the real helpers that the world needs.

I have said it before and I'll repeat that in this forum the people who have been most knowledgeable and helpful in helping me solve my problems have always been the kindest and most patient. Not the arrogant know-it-alls.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Understood. At my age I never pretend to be smarter than I am, also I work really well at a macro level, but struggle at times at a micro level. When it comes to automotive repairs more complex than an oil change I am lost. So I understand your point.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

GS3 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:50 am ...It is not like people wilfully and deliberately choose to be stupid...
Actually, many do. Just look at Washington, D.C. for a concentration of examples. I call the ones who choose to be stupid "willfully ignorant" and have no tolerance for them.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Let's you and me and others like you and me get together and despise others who are not like you and me is a terrible foundation for a society and leads nowhere.

I guess it is just our animal-human nature to want to form groups to identify with but we need to curb those negative tendencies and try to be kind and helpful to everyone and cooperate with the world at large.

In my view of things the main problem with the world in general is that we are divided and this is due to our nature of sticking with our group, whatever it be, and opposing other outside groups. Leaders find it extremely easy to wave a lure and people will rally around it, whatever it may be. Then other groups will find their identity in opposing that group and soon enough you have fights which are unnecessary and nobody thought of when it started.

I have seen it enough times here that any problem or criticism of Linux is met with "go back to Windows!". It is a blind and reflexive defense.

Our enemy is not this or that group, it is division and confrontation and it takes effort to maintain civility and unity.

Cultures and empires usually fall from within not from external forces they fear. We need to unite and cooperate. Arrogantly yelling "we are right and you are wrong" while our boat is sinking is... well, stupid.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Law 6: stupid are everyone. Even yourself. The law independ on what you think about it.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Does posting a comment in this thread excludes me from having the attribute discussed herein?
-=t42=-
jjp2145-oldtimer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jjp2145-oldtimer »

t42 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am Does posting a comment in this thread excludes me from having the attribute discussed herein?
Nope.

Reminds me of the dumb blond that forgot she was blond.
If you need sudo to edit it, back it up first. If I tell you to edit something with sudo and forgot to tell you to back it up, back it up anyway. sudo cp backup or cat > backup.txt.

Return to “Open Chat”