Johnson & Johnson Covid Vaccine

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
LanceM

Re: Johnson & Johnson Covid Vaccine

Post by LanceM »

rene wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 am
SMG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 am I seem to recall reading earlier this year some blood clot issues showed up with other vaccines as well.
Yes, AstraZeneca: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/astra ... -low-blood

Here's the report that SMG refered to: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/p ... a-cdc.html
Yikes! Oh well, if I clot, I hope it's a quick death :mrgreen:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Something tells me you're not a young(-ish) woman so chances will be on your side anyway ;)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

1 in a million are pretty good odds. Nevertheless, it's not good news. But life is all about weighing risks.... If I would be offered a Janssen jab today, I'd certainly take it.

Oh well. There's at least one advantage of having a complete and utter incompetent failure as Secretary of State for Health, as in The Netherlands (where vaccination is proceeding with the speed of a glacier): as long as we don't die of COVID, we can monitor what the vaccines are doing in the rest of the world. :P
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

rene wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:09 am Something tells me you're not a young(-ish) woman so chances will be on your side anyway ;)
I'm a 70+ geezer. :lol:
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

SMG wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:50 am For those wanting to know about J&J experiences, this tweet and the response below it indicate some people had chills and felt like they had the flu. The person who tweeted said she nearly went to the emergency room because of the shakes, high temperature, and her fingers being numb and tinglish. She referred to her symptoms as a severe "normal" reaction. She felt better the next day.

That tweet was a response to another one indicating the CDC and FDA in the USA are recommending putting a temporary pause on J&J vaccines due to six reported cases of a rare and severe blot clot issue. I seem to recall reading earlier this year some blood clot issues showed up with other vaccines as well. The frequency of these issues were in line with the frequency of how often that type of issue normally happens, so it may not be related to the vaccines.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I don't know the details of the J&J vaccine issue so will reserve giving an opinion. However what I will say in general in the USA pols/media have a very poor understanding of both risk assessment and distinguishing the difference between correlation and causation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Am also anything but medically trained but would personally for now expect some form of causation. Already after the EMA considered it at the very least plausible in the case of AstraZeneca and especially now that two vaccines using the same adenovirus seem to have the same issue. Some rare allergy, i.e., as per https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/astra ... -low-blood,
One plausible explanation for the combination of blood clots and low blood platelets is an immune response, leading to a condition similar to one seen sometimes in patients treated with heparin
Which of course certainly is not to say that chances of any one person dying in a traffic accident while on the way to the vaccination location isn't (supposedly, not going to do the statistics...) much higher so if you wouldn't let that stop you...

By the way, either my glasses are really, really dirty or something's up with your avatar picture...
Last edited by rene on Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

majpooper wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm ...However what I will say in general in the USA pols/media have a very poor understanding of both risk assessment and distinguishing the difference between correlation and causation.
That's the understatement of the year so far!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

What a lot of people do not understand is the astronomically fast development of these vaccines on the market today. It normally takes several years for vaccine development, this was done within a year so some of the side effects and repercussions will start to come to the forefront over the next few years. My wife received the AS and I had the Moderna. She had several days of chills etc. but is over it. I had no adverse reaction. We both got ours about a month ago.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

What many people do not realize is that the vaccines for Covid-19 were not developed from scratch; they were built upon decades of existing research and development.

https://news.wttw.com/2021/01/25/scienc ... evelopment

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... so-quickly

Also, far more money and personnel were thrown at this than for any previous vaccines.

Something else many people fail to realize is the reports of serious side effects have been almost infinitesimally few compared to the vast number of injections given so far and that there have been no deaths actually caused by the vaccines (despite erroneous reports to the contrary). Even the serious side effects have far less impact on the victim than the adverse effects getting the disease often causes, up to and including permanent disability and death.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 508599001/

https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... eb4f6.html
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

All 50 states of the USA have halted the J & J vaccine...Europe reportedly is told by J & J that they are not offering its vaccine to the European public until more is know about side effects such as blood clots etc.

Thats all ive got on this for the moment that i just gleaned from the CBS evening news report...DAMIEN
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Luckily I and my friend slipped under the wire. Unless of course we croak from clots.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I just saw in the news that those six women who had blood clots were the only ones out of 7,000,000 doses given here in the SSA. You have a better chance of dying from shark attack here in Arizona (said Jeannie, tongue in cheek).
Jeannie

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

It would seem likely to end up the same as AstraZeneca in Europe, i.e., with the relevant institution noting that causal relation can not be excluded even if direct evidence of such does also not exist and that, indeed, incidence is so low that it can be taken for granted. In Europe, the pause was I believe two weeks all in all.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

$10 Million Dollar bounty for anyone who can produce a valid strain of Covid-19. Bounty has remained unclaimed for over a year now. :lol:
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

LanceM wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:19 pm Luckily I and my friend slipped under the wire. Unless of course we croak from clots.
So, croaked yet? (asked even if only to keep this thread from ending with what seems to of course be yet another utterance of unimaginable stupidity directly above)
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

No side effects yet.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You have once mentioned to belong to a certain medical risk group. Lady F. said that however you didn't even make the first third of vaccinations in the US. Wondering whether or not the US has a vaccination priority scheme and/or if you were in it. E.g. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tions.html seems to imply phase 1c for those with underlying medical conditions --- but that then has me wonder how many have...
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Destry wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:55 am $10 Million Dollar bounty for anyone who can produce a valid strain of Covid-19. Bounty has remained unclaimed for over a year now. :lol:
Turns out these 'bounties' just don't bother to pay out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQThbC_AXQg

But, conspiracy theories about COVID are not relevant to the topic of people discussing people's experiences with the J&J shot.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

You have once mentioned to belong to a certain medical risk group.
Sadly, I definitely am in that group. No details here. Not because I'm bashful, just don't like broadcasting my woes.

Return to “Open Chat”