I'm DONE with Best Buy

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
chowse
Level 2
Level 2

I'm DONE with Best Buy

Post by chowse »

Some of you know that I worked at Best Buy for 3 yrs in the Computer Sales dept.
I've tried to buy and order from them when I could, but this is it,
I'M DONE WITH BEST BUY...FOREVER!
I ordered a new Solid State drive for my computer. It arrived today...without any packing material in the box! Free to bounce around during shipment, and get dinged up. Look at the size of the cardboard box compared to the size of the small box inside. Somebody just doesn't give a s***!
I'll be calling Corporate Customer Service to complain tomorrow.
The drive works, but that's not the issue. Treat my drive the same way you'd treat yours!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Some people make happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Re: I'm DONE with Best Buy

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

That is also how Amazon ships things. :roll:

Best Buy lost a lot of my business since they will not ship to my shipping address (a UPS mail box). After cancelling an order several times with no explanation, they finally said it was because they will not ship to a known reshipper. While I have a pretty good idea what their reason for that is*, they never would tell me, even after I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint.

* Apparently, they are afraid I may be shipping prohibited items overseas via my mail service. Who died and made them law enforcement? I have the mail service to avoid problems from porch pirates and for privacy (being a single, lesbian transwoman, I prefer not to advertise my home address to every bigot and their dogs).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

Funny, the machine I'm currently typing on has the same SSD, but I was lucky enough to buy it in person.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I've had this happen with many companies - Amazon (who I won't ever use again) and Wal-Mart (only when using one of their contracted sellers), to name a few - but never Best Buy. Usually my packages have too much packing, or a box that's 100x bigger than the product.

Quality-control just doesn't exist much anymore.

PS - I ordered a computer desk through Best Buy a couple of days ago. Can't wait to see what it looks like now! 8)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

chowse wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 pm Some of you know that I worked at Best Buy for 3 yrs in the Computer Sales dept.
I've tried to buy and order from them when I could, but this is it,
I'M DONE WITH BEST BUY...FOREVER!
I ordered a new Solid State drive for my computer. It arrived today...without any packing material in the box! Free to bounce around during shipment, and get dinged up. Look at the size of the cardboard box compared to the size of the small box inside. Somebody just doesn't give a s***!
I'll be calling Corporate Customer Service to complain tomorrow.
The drive works, but that's not the issue. Treat my drive the same way you'd treat yours!
I would have returned it as possibly damaged because of packaging and bought one on amazon that was bigger. I have bought 3 SSDs, one was 240 GB and 2 are 1 TB, the 240 GB died within 3 months and I wasn't about to return it as you can't erase the info on them because it went read only. I have been using the 1 TB drives for over 2 years now
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't mean to take anybody's side here, but an initial question I have is: is it reasonably likely that whomever packed up your SSD knows there's no moving parts in it and therefore assumed it didn't need to be immobilized with standard packing materials?

Bear in mind that it's still possible to crack the circuit board inside the SSD housing, so it's not as though the unit cannot possibly be damaged. If I were packing it up, my first and only impulse would be to have enough material in there so that it couldn't move. In fact, I would basically fit it in the middle of a space entirely filled with peanuts so that it would also be kept several inches away (6-8 cm, for our friends around the world) from any of the surfaces of the box.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Both my SSDs arrived almost exactly the same from Amazon. There were three folding pillow bubbles in each one but there was no way that stopped any movement inside the box. They both work fine and have three year warranties so...fingers crossed.

As an aside. Quite a few years ago I was ordering PC parts from the large city 12 hours of driving away. I ordered 2 sticks of DDR2 ram and thought I would try Greyhound. They were a little cheaper for shipping and arrived in the same time frame as the courier that the company used. It is a good thing the company knew more than I did about shipping with Greyhound. The box left the shop square and literally showed up as a round ball. There was so much bubble wrap stuffed in the box that there was no way Greyhound could have damaged the contents, short of actually driving over it of course. I called and commended them on their fastidiousness and left a glowing review on their website. I was real sad when NCIX went out of business.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Portreve wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 pm I don't mean to take anybody's side here, but an initial question I have is: is it reasonably likely that whomever packed up your SSD knows there's no moving parts in it and therefore assumed it didn't need to be immobilized with standard packing materials?

Bear in mind that it's still possible to crack the circuit board inside the SSD housing, so it's not as though the unit cannot possibly be damaged. If I were packing it up, my first and only impulse would be to have enough material in there so that it couldn't move. In fact, I would basically fit it in the middle of a space entirely filled with peanuts basically fit it in the middle of a space entirely filled with peanuts
"space entirely filled with peanuts basically fit it in so that it would also be kept several inches away (6-8 cm, for our friends around the world) from any of the surfaces of the box."
No, No plastic peanuts please! Unless they are edible peanuts, roasted and salted in their shell. How about using the front page of your local newspaper all crumpled up. It might be an interesting read and recyclable.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

farkas wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:29 am ...No, No plastic peanuts please! Unless they are edible peanuts, roasted and salted in their shell. How about using the front page of your local newspaper all crumpled up. It might be an interesting read and recyclable.
I so agree! I despise those miserable, misbegotten abominations (mild terminology)! The polystyrene foam peanuts are a nightmare to deal with due to static electricity! They fly everywhere, cling to almost everything, and the static electricity could possibly damage electronic components. Peanuts made from cornstarch are far superior, do not cling or fly around, won't damage electronic components, and are even more biodegradable than paper (they dissolve in water).

Back when I worked in shipping and receiving, we saved some of the peanuts in a large plastic trash can for reuse when shipping something out. I had to keep a spray bottle of water hanging on the top lip of the can to spray water into the can before and, often, while dumping polystyrene peanuts into the can. Otherwise, some of the blasted things would actually float up and out of the can! It was a pity that the cornstarch peanuts didn't come in often enough to let us save those.

It's easy for small items to get lost in peanuts or settle to the bottom of a box, though, so sturdy bubble wrap or air pillows (not the cheap, flimsy ones!) are much better. I save some of the good bubble wrap and pillows sometimes used in packages I receive for reuse when I have to ship something.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Bright white colored peanuts are Styrofoam. The off-white or beige ones are actually made from starch, and are water soluble. :wink:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I stick with Newgg - like the prices - recently ordered a 2.5 120Gib SSD which came appropriately packaged - the down size is that it took over a week to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

majpooper wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:06 pm I stick with Newgg - like the prices - recently ordered a 2.5 120Gib SSD which came appropriately packaged - the down size is that it took over a week to get it.
Newegg used to be my go-to firm for computer parts but I gave up on them a few months ago. Customer service has been plummeting since Newegg was sold to Liaison Interactive, a Chinese Tech company. My last order was a nightmare of epic proportions to get straightened out. Also, Newegg is stocking less in their own stock and depending more on sketchy Marketplace vendors. There is no way I'm ever doing business with those morons again!
Jeannie

motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 pm That is also how Amazon ships things. :roll:

Best Buy lost a lot of my business since they will not ship to my shipping address (a UPS mail box). After cancelling an order several times with no explanation, they finally said it was because they will not ship to a known reshipper. While I have a pretty good idea what their reason for that is*, they never would tell me, even after I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint.

* Apparently, they are afraid I may be shipping prohibited items overseas via my mail service. Who died and made them law enforcement? I have the mail service to avoid problems from porch pirates and for privacy (being a single, lesbian transwoman, I prefer not to advertise my home address to every bigot and their dogs).
Why did you feel the need to tell us very personal information about yourself? This is a Linux Mint forum site. Your sexual preferences and/or marital status and/or whether or not you're involved with anyone as more than a friend is not our business. And the statement you made immediately afterwards easily seems like it is baiting someone just because there is a chance he or she ( yes..there are two genders..btw in the physically living human world..that's all ) might not believe in the same things you do.

My point is..coherence. removing the "" (being a single, lesbian transwoman, I prefer not to advertise my home address to every bigot and their dogs) "" and leaving the rest is plenty ( legit..no insult meant there) to complete your point.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

@chowse

I can't say I blame you much for the frustration.

Although SSD's can easily withstand Jim Carrey kicking it around like a soccer ball and still work like a champ ( unlike spinning rust), I completely agree with the principle point of yours in that we both know Best Buy as well as Amazon or any other major player in the etailer or retail PC components -sales world can afford a reasonable variety of box sizes and/or cheap packing ( hell..even those plastic bags are cheap enough to use plenty of to substitute for packing popcorn or bubble wrap).

My frustrations with Best Buy over the recent 8+ years is that no matter how I dress, no matter if I'm buy myself or not, regardless of the time of day or day of the week or which department I hang out in browsing items...NO ONE....asks me if I need help finding anything ...as well as not even a simple greeting ..not even the guy at the entrance ( or often female either). It's pathetic. It's as if they know they're time is almost over as company and they are just choosing to illustrate a complacent..defeated and just down right ( confused ever) attitude.

It's almost sad, but I'm done wasting my fuel stopping by there even to window shop. There really is no point.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

motoryzen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:11 pm That is also how Amazon ships things. :roll:

Why did you feel the need to tell us very personal information about yourself? This is a Linux Mint forum site. Your sexual preferences and/or marital status and/or whether or not you're involved with anyone as more than a friend is not our business. And the statement you made immediately afterwards easily seems like it is baiting someone just because there is a chance he or she ( yes..there are two genders..btw in the physically living human world..that's all ) might not believe in the same things you do.

My point is..coherence. removing the "" (being a single, lesbian transwoman, I prefer not to advertise my home address to every bigot and their dogs) "" and leaving the rest is plenty ( legit..no insult meant there) to complete your point.
Well, gee, I love you, too. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT0HJkr1jj4 The same goes for gender identity.

Btw, where did you get your degree in psychology? I got mine from Abilene Christian College, class of '71 (and my studies didn't end then).
Jeannie

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:13 pm Well, gee, I love you, too.
Bigotry knows no bounds in some people. I thought it was hilarious that he put his logic failure on show:
seems like it is baiting someone ... ( yes..there are two genders..btw in the physically living human world..that's all )
He complains about baiting then sets about baiting.

Maybe he works at Best Buy.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

People of all sexual orientations and gender identities are, and should feel, welcome on the Linux Mint forums. There is no forum rule against volunteering personal information and this is open chat. Bottom line: we're all Linux Mint users. Let's keep it friendly and get back on topic.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:25 pm
majpooper wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:06 pm I stick with Newgg - like the prices - recently ordered a 2.5 120Gib SSD which came appropriately packaged - the down size is that it took over a week to get it.
Newegg used to be my go-to firm for computer parts but I gave up on them a few months ago. Customer service has been plummeting since Newegg was sold to Liaison Interactive, a Chinese Tech company. My last order was a nightmare of epic proportions to get straightened out. Also, Newegg is stocking less in their own stock and depending more on sketchy Marketplace vendors. There is no way I'm ever doing business with those morons again!
Add to that those Newegg daily "Shell Shocker" specials. Exact same product at same price all week from Amazon. Doesn't hurt either being mere minutes from a fulfillment center.
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

old_noob wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:42 pmFunny, the machine I'm currently typing on has the same SSD, but I was lucky enough to buy it in person.
#metoo, from Wal*Mart. It was my first SSD, to replace an HDD a few years ago. Now it's a backup disk, works great. Also got a cool PNY USB thumbdrive in a thick metal case.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I can't recall having ever made a purchase at Best Buy (although I have browsed in store several times). Online, I've always found better buys elsewhere. Anyway, a tornado destroyed the local Best Buy store one year ago, and debris removal has only just now begun, so I guess I'm done with Best Buy too...

Return to “Open Chat”