Please support the request for native linux client for a popular virtual background tool (xsplit)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
linuxovios
Level 3
Level 3

Please support the request for native linux client for a popular virtual background tool (xsplit)

Post by linuxovios »

Nowadays many people are involved with teleworking, distance learning, etc. The need for virtual background tools is increased, either for a more professional look in our teleconferencing or for reasons of privacy. In windows one of the best tools for this job, which does not require a green screen is Xsplit Vcam (for a fee). There are no free tools to reach this level. Vcam can add a background image or even video with great success, creating a virtual camera and we declare this camera as input to any teleconferencing program we use.

Personally, I am forced to use windows for my telework, as the company I work for has chosen windows only software, but even if this was not the case, I would still work in windows because I need xsplit vcam.

A popular feature request for linux client development has been launched on Vcam forums.Please support the effort with an upvote and comment. Even if you do not use it or do not need it, it is something that will help further the penetration of Linux.

https://ideas-xvc.xsplit.com/suggestion ... t-for-vcam

thanx!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Please support the request for native linux client for a popular virtual background tool (xsplit)

Post by Portreve »

I'm a little bit fuzzy on the need for all this video teleconference software. I mean, not in the broad sense of what it's used for, or in the broad sense that people would want to make use of it at all, but it seems like such a big deal, and that everyone needs to be using this all the time. Aren't working people supposed to be spending their time getting actual work done?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Please support the request for native linux client for a popular virtual background tool (xsplit)

Post by GS3 »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:22 pmI'm a little bit fuzzy on the need for all this video teleconference software. I mean, not in the broad sense of what it's used for, or in the broad sense that people would want to make use of it at all, but it seems like such a big deal, and that everyone needs to be using this all the time. Aren't working people supposed to be spending their time getting actual work done?
I do not understand your surprise. What do you consider "actual work"?

There are plenty of meetings taking place all the time. A lot of what used to be done in person has had to move to videoconference due to the pandemic. Do you not consider business meetings "work"? Consider a meeting between the sales and the purchasing departments of two companies so they can discuss the delivery schedules, prices, contracts and other matters. How is that not work?

A lot of TV talk shows, interviews and opinion pieces are done from home now.

Also a lot of teaching has moved from the classroom to online.

My wife used to work in a big office building but has been working from home because of the pandemic. Her work has a lot of interaction done in writing by email, etc but at least once or twice a week they have videoconference meetings. I can imagine what sort of things they discuss but I won't ask and she won't tell me because it is "need to know" and she says if she told me she'd have to kill me and I don't want to give her any ideas or excuses.

She's probably the only one using Linux and their IT department says they won't even try to help with any problems she might have and she jokes she has her own IT department (yours truly).
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I used to work for Sony in their Customer Information Service Center, so I'm very much of the "BISPIE" (butt in seat, phone in ear) school of office workplace philosophy. :lol:

In general, I'm not a fan of meetings because more often than not, they're a waste of time. Put it in a memo. If I have questions, I'll ask them.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”