[Solved] Inline Code?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

[Solved] Inline Code?

Post by Dark Owl »

I have seen posts containing inline code (eg this one), but I only seem to be able to post code as separate boxes thus:

Code: Select all

This is a code box
It's not mentioned in BBCode Help (except to note that admins can add features). So, how?

Update - solution here: Custom BBCodes on the forum
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Inline Code?

Post by Moem »

Try hovering over all the buttons above the box where you type your message, one by one. The tool tips will show you what they do and one of them will reveal itself as 'inline code display'. The tool tips also contain the actual tags, which you can type in by hand as well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 am Try hovering over all the buttons above the box where you type your message, one by one. The tool tips will show you what they do and one of them will reveal itself as 'inline code display'. The tool tips also contain the actual tags, which you can type in by hand as well.
Thanks for that, but as I mostly browse forums using a tablet (iPad) and "hovering" doesn't seem to work, perhaps it would be useful to have a ready reference to all the BBCode available.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The inline code one is [c]...[/c] (and it's the only tag I've at least myself ever used that is, apparently, not in the help).
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Aha! So it's the c button on the toolbar!

It would have been so much more helpful to say so instead of vaguely waving at hover tool-tips (which are not universally available). It would also be useful if the toolbar button (which I presume has been added by admins) was labelled "i-code" instead of just the cryptic "c".

While I'm here: what's the difference between [img] and [rimg]?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Solved] Inline Code?

Post by Moem »

Vaguely waving? My, that's lovely, you're welcome, glad I could help! :?
I wanted to give you the fishing rod, not just the fish.

Since you like it literally: the difference between [img] and [rimg] is the letter r.
Less literally, more helpful, since that's how I am: [rimg] is for remote images, if you use that tag with a https link to an image (so the image itself, not the page it is shown on) you can post a large image on the forum and it will be shown as a very reasonably-sized thumbnail. img is for inserting an image, but they can't be very large. I suggest you try them out, you'll learn more... :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 am I wanted to give you the fishing rod, not just the fish.
I appreciate that, but it was a failed attempt because you didn't take into account that the user might be using a tablet and therefore no fishing rod was available. This isn't trying to be nasty, I am only proposing you could have answered the question directly, and mentioned the tool-tips as a post script – such an approach would be friendlier and less obscure in general. Eg:
You can insert in-line code using the "c" button in the toolbar. If your browser supports tool-tips, a summary of each tool will pop up when you hover the mouse over it.
See? That would have told me (and other readers who also might not know) everything I needed to know.

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 am I suggest you try them out, you'll learn more...
I don't know what you have against adequate reference documentation. Why make people guess? I had no reason to believe [img] was not for externally hosted images, as I have already had to host my avatar image externally. You also need to account for the fact that some of us (or is it just me?) are super-annuated and therefore do not have a retentive memory. If the reference documentation exists (for [c] and [rimg]) I apologise, please direct me to it.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dark Owl wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 am
Moem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:49 am I suggest you try them out, you'll learn more...
I don't know what you have against adequate reference documentation. Why make people guess?
Nothing. And: because I don't exactly know, and when I want to know these things, I try them out. And also because you'll learn more by doing than by being told.
It was just a suggestion. I can't force you to try anything, or to learn stuff, even if I wanted to... which I don't.

I'll ignore your questions for a while. I get no thanks for trying to help, just a lot of 'could have' and ' should have'.

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Face it Moem, you are just not as helpful, attentive, polite and unopinionated as I am.

Snarf.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That much is, alas, abundantly clear!

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not as good looking either...
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Sorry, but I didn't realise RTFM (and by the way there is no manual) was the way to run a support forum. I would have a lot more respect if people were willing to admit they were wrong, instead of defending the indefensible (like most politicians).

If you don't want to help, leave it to somebody who does.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I would have a lot more respect if people were willing to admit they were wrong
You are wrong on this one Dark Owl. That is my objective assessment.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

mikeflan wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:03 pm
I would have a lot more respect if people were willing to admit they were wrong
You are wrong on this one Dark Owl. That is my objective assessment.
Rene provided the information needed, whereas Moem provided noise and then defended the noise. What alternative interpretation is there? It's a sad situation when people believe there is no room for improvement, myself included.

There are none so blind as cannot see, just drop it and move on. If Moem feels I have been particularly unfair, he's perfectly capable of deleting the thread. On the other hand there might well be other forum users also looking for that information (or might come across it), also (if they use an iPad) without tool-tips available, and this thread provides it, so having made my point I am perfectly willing to have the thread edited to remove posts/sections irrelevant to the problem and the solution.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Dark Owl wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:18 am If Moem feels I have been particularly unfair, he's perfectly capable of deleting the thread.
And there is your second mistake.
Cliff Coggin
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Okay, since I was (in a joking manner) fanning the flames a bit earllier on, let me comment that this is clearly getting a bit ridiculous. Moem answered the question in a manner which in 99% of cases would've been sufficient and which additionally said/implied how function of the other "edit-box toolbar buttons" there were to be discovered. It was a perfectly good and usefully stated answer, and I only interfered due to wanting to additionally be explicit about how to simply type things out.

Add in that really this is technically about as trivial a question as a Linux forum gets to experience and it's about okay now, I'd personally say :-)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Dark Owl wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:01 amI don't know what you have against adequate reference documentation. Why make people guess?
You're the one making people guess. You had the question, so it's your responsibility to supply useful information.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Oh, and I just found this:

Custom BBCodes on the forum

Thanks to everyone who pointed it out (such a friendly forum). Note what it says about [rimg], and check out the hover tool-tips for [img] and [rimg].
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Flemur wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am You're the one making people guess. You had the question, so it's your responsibility to supply useful information.
Answer my own questions you mean? If you don't mean that, in what way was the original question unclear? How does somebody with a query know what information they need to supply? If they did, they probably wouldn't need to ask the question.

Such a friendly forum (not). This is very much beginning to feel like a clique.

Return to “Open Chat”