A Good One...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

A Good One...

Post by JTemple »

If you can only see one dot its, hard to connect it. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: A Good One...

Post by Portreve »

What is a "one dot it's"?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Clearly a fan of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
Cliff Coggin
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:15 am Clearly a fan of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
I wish more people would read that book.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Basically punctuation is critical for this to work. The comma is in the wrong place and it is easier to read if "it Is" rather than "it's" which is the same.

Its is a possessive form of the pronoun it, meaning belonging to it. It's is a contraction of the words

"If you can only see one dot, it is hard to connect it."
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Commas can be worth millions...and can be the difference between life and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zim09f0VsQ
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

What, a train wreck.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Think 3D. A dot could be the end of a cylinder that has dots inside or even ends in a dot. The earth is a dot from a long way off. Lastly you can connect any dot to your eye....Yawn :arrow:
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:53 pm Basically punctuation is critical for this to work. The comma is in the wrong place and it is easier to read if "it Is" rather than "it's" which is the same.

Its is a possessive form of the pronoun it, meaning belonging to it. It's is a contraction of the words

"If you can only see one dot, it is hard to connect it."
Yes but the op indeed dotted the eyes (sic) :P
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

A small attempt at humour can be tough on this board. I just thought it was a cute quip. Astonishing, how quickly it got seriously critical. It should be no wonder I post so little now.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Lighten up, Francis. It seems we found plenty of humor; even more than was initially intended.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Geometry was on of my favorite classes. Had a great teacher Mr Bob Cramer. He made it fun and challenging. Good chess player too.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Tiny dots are more difficult to connect. The bigger the dot the easier it is to connect.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

"The bigger the dot the easier it is to connect." True, but in plane geometry a dot (point) is infinitely small and has no diameter. More irrelevant information to support humor - my bad. If there's only one dot is it a polka-dot?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

LanceM wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 pm "The bigger the dot the easier it is to connect." True, but in plane geometry a dot (point) is infinitely small and has no diameter. More irrelevant information to support humor - my bad. If there's only one dot is it a polka-dot?
This actually reminds me of a wholly different saying:

When all you know is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

LanceM wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 pmin plane geometry a dot (point) is infinitely small and has no diameter. More irrelevant information to support humor - my bad. If there's only one dot is it a polka-dot?
I am not sure I totally agree with that. Polka dots and other dots definitely have a finite diameter. As the diameter of a dot decreases and becomes zero then it becomes a point. So we can properly say a point is a degenerate dot. (And I say this with all due respect to all points and dots.)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

LanceM wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 pm If there's only one dot is it a polka-dot?
I doubt it. If it takes two to tango, it probably takes two to polka, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

But is a dot really a point? Maybe I'm getting doddery.

Return to “Open Chat”