Win10 is just getting worse and worse

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Win10 is just getting worse and worse

Post by AZgl1800 »

JeffF73 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:25 pm You think that's bad. Now MS Win 10 forces you to have internet if you sign in with a MS account. You can't even get to your desktop to do your own thing's offline. Also forcing those using a MS account to create a pin code.
I noticed that on my daughter's newer Win10 laptop.
we immediately decided to just use RevoUninstaller and delete all of the Microsoft Office system products.

I have a license for Office 2007 and 2010, so I turned off the internet, then installed 2010 and she is good to go.
were it not for ACCESS, she would dump Windows in a heartbeat.

no other database comes close to doing what she does with ACCESS, and she is not interested in trying to reinvent the wheel after 15 years of using ACCESS and designing her apps with it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

This is *why* I don't use Windows 10 unless I'm gaming and that's very rare.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there is an definite move to Push Windows Users onto an MS_ACCOUNT.
:roll:
in same manner as Google has it's Play Store, and Apple has it's own Store app,
it would seem that the Microsoft Store and the Microsoft Log-In are here to stay.

they will keep pushing these, and it's now accepted that you do have an Live Internet Connection,
as their system is now based upon using that very Internet connection.

there are some tricks, that you can utilise, during an "upgrade" / "Installation",
such as Turning your Internet Connection to OFF, to get the desired setup, that you wish.
- when you go back On-line, the Windows System will detect that Internet Connection & "upgrade" anyway.
:twisted:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Samarian Sunset wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Pepi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am I still prefer Photoshop over GIMP is a big reason I have a dual boot. Photoshop on WINE is the dogs
I'm curious as to what the problem with Photoshop on WINE was for you?
It's been a few years ago when I tried this. Just don't want WINE on my system now. The Ctrl, Alt, and special shortcuts would not work using WINE. I may set up a new partition someday and try it again. Are you using PS and WINE with success?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The last patch killed frame rates in games, I think I am getting to the point where I am tired of being Microsoft's beta tester. Ugh.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:41 pm The last patch killed frame rates in games, I think I am getting to the point where I am tired of being Microsoft's beta tester. Ugh.
on my daughter's 2 year old Acer, it shrunk all of the printouts by 80%

being she is a graphics artist you can imagine how well that went over.

the previous "update" destroyed all of her custom fonts that she uses :roll:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

Pepi wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:18 pm
Samarian Sunset wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Pepi wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:45 am I still prefer Photoshop over GIMP is a big reason I have a dual boot. Photoshop on WINE is the dogs
I'm curious as to what the problem with Photoshop on WINE was for you?
It's been a few years ago when I tried this. Just don't want WINE on my system now. The Ctrl, Alt, and special shortcuts would not work using WINE. I may set up a new partition someday and try it again. Are you using PS and WINE with success?
Thanks for explaining, I was just curious as I just sent up Wine with a second install of Mint 20 and using Photoshop 7. I'm testing Mint 20 right now as I have an OLD computer and wasn't sure if the new kernel series would work with my old set up and Wine. So far so good, but yeah changing the Ctrl Alt key function was a pain as I couldn't use the stamp clone tool. Eventually I figured it out.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Also updates. OMFG, Updates take forever to install and load. The last time I updated the Spouse Unit's computer, not only did it not take the update from Windows update, I had to download the update tool from Microsoft, and use that. It took hours to do the update. Horrible, just horrible experience.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:30 amthere is an definite move to Push Windows Users onto an MS_ACCOUNT.
it would seem that the Microsoft Store and the Microsoft Log-In are here to stay.

they will keep pushing these, and it's now accepted that you do have an Live Internet Connection,
Yes, it used to be that you bought something and it was yours to use as you saw fit but the trend is to now sell you a "service" where they have knowledge and control of everything. Apple, Android, MS, they are all like that now and that is the main reason I moved away from MS and into Linux.

Tesla cars, appliances with Internet of Things, everything is moving in that direction. I don't like it but I am an old fart who will soon be dead.

I have an Android phone and I looked into some "decontaminated" Android alternative but it was too complicated and I ended up giving up. Resistance is futile.

Another thing that bugs me is people and businesses using proprietary means to communicate like Facebook, Tweeter, etc. If I am interested in your products just give me an email address because I am not using any of those platforms.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

GS3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am
Pierre wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:30 amthere is an definite move to Push Windows Users onto an MS_ACCOUNT.

Yes, it used to be that you bought something and it was yours to use as you saw fit but the trend is to now sell you a "service" where they have knowledge and control of everything. Apple, Android, MS, they are all like that now and that is the main reason I moved away from MS and into Linux.

Tesla cars, appliances with Internet of Things, everything is moving in that direction. I don't like it but I am an old fart who will soon be dead.

I have an Android phone and I looked into some "decontaminated" Android alternative but it was too complicated and I ended up giving up. Resistance is futile.

Another thing that bugs me is people and businesses using proprietary means to communicate like Facebook, Tweeter, etc. If I am interested in your products just give me an email address because I am not using any of those platforms.
Me too!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

GS3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am Another thing that bugs me is people and businesses using proprietary means to communicate like Facebook, Tweeter, etc. If I am interested in your products just give me an email address because I am not using any of those platforms.
that is surely becoming an common issue .. you Don't have an Facebook account ?
- then you do miss out on getting certain types of Information . ..
or any of the other "modern "communication methods.

it's Microsoft that is locking it's Users to an MS_account, as it's the only way that they have,
to control the folks that are still using their Windows System
- - which is Not as popular as it used to be.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

GS3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 am

Android is tied into Google so tight, it is impossible to extract yourself from it.
But, for me, it is acceptable because I use their tools everyday.

instead of Facebook/Messenger, install Telegram which will run on any OS, mobile device, or PC and it is 256 bit Encrypted.

My son is extremely paranoid about Google and his company's penchant for invading their employees lives.
so, he installed Telegram and we use that to send messages to each other.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 amAndroid is tied into Google so tight, it is impossible to extract yourself from it.
There are "sterilised" Android versions out there but, frankly, it is not worth my effort. You have to jailbreak the phone and it is not something I want to spend time and risk doing.

I have an Android phone but do not have a Google account so I do not know that they can really link me to much of anything. The few apps I needed to install I got from some APK mirror where I did not have to log in. Even one I used to like, Wifi Analizer, now requires in the new versions that you grant it access to Location Services. No thanks. I stopped using it. It is not even that it wants to know anything about me, it is that it wants to use ME to help in geolocating WIFIs and I refuse to work for Google for free as it goes against my most basic principles.

About a year ago there was some promotion that I wanted to take advantage of but it required downloading and installing an app from the company and logging in. The only way to get it was with Google and I refuse to do it that way. I talked to a neighbor and explained my phone was having problems, probably too old a model, and asked him if he would mind downloading and installing the app and logging in with my account. In just a few minutes he downloaded it from Google, logged in to the app, thereby getting me my reward promotion reward, and deleted the app from his phone.

Regarding Windows 10, it is very possible that MS made the correct business decision for themselves. People hate to pay for things and if Windows had continued the old model of "pay to buy the OS" they probably would have been wiped out of the market by now by Google or by someone else. They know very well how it works because they drove Netscape and others out of the market by using the same strategy. We can dislike the turn MS products took but it is very probable they took the best path for themselves.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

GS3 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:06 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 amAndroid is tied into Google so tight, it is impossible to extract yourself from it.
There are "sterilized" Android versions out there but, frankly, it is not worth my effort. You have to jailbreak the phone and it is not something I want to spend time and risk doing.
I will not risk breaking my good Note8 on Verizon.

Several years ago, I purchased a Samsung Note4 that was already rooted and locked into 4.4.4.
loved it, used it for many years, until the apps quit working for me.... their backend servers would no longer work with the old apps.
( I never update apps automatically, if it is working in the beginning, why change it? )

end result, I was forced to abandon Android 4.4.4 and went straight to Android 9 when I purchased a Note8 as the replacement.

I have a few apps on my Note8 that I installed via Fdroid app store, simply because PlayStore removed them.
I disagreed with that, and sideloaded what I want.
SteveR
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SteveR »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm My daughter is locked into MS Office ACCESS, ...
A quick suggestion. Visit Access World Forums. When I used to do MS Access programing, I was on that site a lot and still do visit it. It is a great resource for MS Access.
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pmI wish I could find something in Linux that would 100% work with ACCESS files.
My Linux solution was to import my MS Access files into MySQL (now on MariaDB). The downside is that you would have to develop your own backend. I did that with PHP and HTML.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

SteveR wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:49 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pm My daughter is locked into MS Office ACCESS, ...
A quick suggestion. Visit Access World Forums. When I used to do MS Access programing, I was on that site a lot and still do visit it. It is a great resource for MS Access.
AZgl1500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:49 pmI wish I could find something in Linux that would 100% work with ACCESS files.
My Linux solution was to import my MS Access files into MySQL (now on MariaDB). The downside is that you would have to develop your own backend. I did that with PHP and HTML.
totally unacceptable to her.
she is NOT into backend development
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Win10 is just getting worse and worse
on my daughter's 2 year old Acer, it shrunk all of the printouts by 80%being she is a graphics artist you can imagine how well that went over. the previous "update" destroyed all of her custom fonts that she uses :roll:
I know that you were never under the illusion or delusion that Win 10 would ever get better and better...lol...Your way too much of a realist to have ever believed that...lol...DAMIEN
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

Regarding Photoshop, CS 2 runs quite well using PlayOnLinux; however, I only use it rarely for some filters and other stuff that doesn't work like that in Gimp.
But the rest, which is like 90% of my work, can be done in Gimp, which I started using while still on Windows XP.

Now for the "mandatory" MS Account creation ... My laptop came with Windows 10 Pro preinstalled, and so far it only begs me on the security overview page to create an account to save/ backup my data in the cloud. Which I always ignore, since I have my own offline solution in the form of external HDDs.
Maybe the Pro version of Windows still gives you some more freedom? Or is it already the same when you install it yourself and an active internet connection is detected?

Return to “Open Chat”