Windows might be detrimental to your health

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Windows might be detrimental to your health

Post by Moonstone Man »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-07/ ... /100122958

The gist of the article is that a Windows upgrade caused doses of medication to be increased by 10 times.

robotic-surgery-windows.jpg
robotic-surgery-windows.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Windows might be detrimental to your health

Post by jimallyn »

Might be?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

jimallyn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 am Might be?
I didn't want to be offensive by claiming that it is.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

You took the words right out of my mouth...er...keyboard!

I would think that a computer that has such a critical task would be kept isolated from the internet to avoid problems like this. Updates can be applied later when the computer is idle.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Updates like that, are only supposed to be installed by an IT Admin, after many weeks of testing to see that none of the apps being used are effected....

at least that was the way it was at the government places where I worked in IT.

Hospital dosage computers, should never have access to the outside world, period.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:19 amThe gist of the article is that a Windows upgrade caused doses of medication to be increased by 10 times
No, the windows upgrade didn't cause the problem.

Sunrise EMR had an error in their software; despite the misleading headline (a standard MSM trick), the article even says so:
"It was a generic issue in the prescribing software. It's a patch relating to upgrading to Microsoft 10."

Less dishonest articles on the same software error don't even mention Windows:
https://australiannewsreview.com/freedo ... se-bungle/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 am
I didn't want to be offensive by claiming that it is.
You summation in the first post was offensive because it was false.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am No, the windows upgrade didn't cause the problem.
Get it right. I did not say that it did. I wrote, and I quote, "The gist of the article is..."
... has blamed the bungle on a Windows upgrade.
SA Health believes the problem was caused by a Microsoft upgrade
"It was a generic issue in the prescribing software. It's a patch relating to upgrading to Microsoft 10.
So please, don't imply that I claimed such and such when no such thing happened.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 am You summation in the first post was offensive because it was false.
Yes, well, raspberries to you. I made no claim in the post other than what the gist of the article was. One off us isn't awake, and it isn't me.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Will have to disagree with you on that Kadaitcha, even if only because I quite literally have at the moment not a single better thing to do. You claimed that the gist of the article was that a Windows upgrade caused [etc.] whereas beyond the headline and the wrongly quoted first paragraph it really is the case that the gist of the article is that an upgrade of the Sunrise software, only made in the context of preparing said software for running under Windows 10 after an upgrade of Windows, caused [etc.].

Very important, this. Or maybe I'm right now just really bored...
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 am
Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am No, the windows upgrade didn't cause the problem.
Get it right. I did not say that it did. I wrote, and I quote, "The gist of the article is..."
You fell for the fake headline because you didn't read the article and therefore didn't know what the "gist" of it actually was.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am You fell for the fake headline because you didn't read the article and therefore didn't know what the "gist" of it actually was.
You can say whatever your wild imagination tells you to say.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:06 amVery important, this.
It is completely trivial but illustrates a big problem with the MSM and the people who fall for it on non-trivial subjects.

It's well-known that a large percentage of people don't read beyond the headlines, and another large percentage don't read to the end of the article, which is where "they" typically correct, if there is any correction, the misleading statements in the click-bait headlines and initial paragraph(s).
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:14 am
Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:12 am You fell for the fake headline because you didn't read the article and therefore didn't know what the "gist" of it actually was.
The alternative explanations for your false statement are either that you're dishonest of that you have very poor reading comprehension - which one is it? Maybe both?

Edit: based on his evasive, insubstantial response, I'm going with "both".
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am It is completely trivial but illustrates a big problem with the MSM and the people who fall for it on non-trivial subjects.
It's not like click-bait is unique to "MSM". But other than that I'm afraid I'm só allergic to use of that acronym/term that I have the immediate and almost Pavlov-ian reaction of not being able to take someone who uses it seriously anymore. It's undoubtedly also a matter of international differences but certainly where I'm at any M considered MS is thousands of times as reliable and factual than any M considered not so by those who'd blindly copy the internet by using the term in the first place. It's more a difference between commercial and non-commercial, and in former case between hyper-commercial and less so, than mainstream or not. The categories overlap to different degrees internationally.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:34 am
Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am It is completely trivial but illustrates a big problem with the MSM and the people who fall for it on non-trivial subjects.
It's not like click-bait is unique to "MSM".
That's where it matters; it's trivial when e.g. a post in an obscure linux forum has a misleading click-bait subject.
But other than that I'm afraid I'm só allergic to use of that acronym/term that I have the immediate and almost Pavlov-ian reaction of not being able to take someone who uses it seriously anymore.
Well, that's unfortunate since you just used the term, but at any rate your reaction to its usage is quite strange - do some of your relatives work for them or some such?

MSM is just shorthand for big media conglomerates which influence a lot of people.
It's undoubtedly also a matter of international differences but certainly where I'm at any M considered MS is thousands of times as reliable and factual than any M consider not so
I completely disagree on that, but it reinforces my guess about relatives.
by those who'd blindly copy the internet by using the term in the first place.
Byte me.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

"Those who'd blindly copy the internet by using the term in the first place" was the latter part of a phrase that started with "where I'm at". You are not where I'm at.

As you may or may not remember, I have noticed and remarked to you before that you seem to have some self-worth issues that result in you interpreting many things as personal attacks. I of course wouldn't want to make that any worse still so will leave it at that.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:22 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:14 am
The alternative explanations for your false statement are either that you're dishonest of that you have very poor reading comprehension - which one is it? Maybe both?

Edit: based on his evasive, insubstantial response, I'm going with "both".
Actually it's the alternative that you left out.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

MODERATORS NOTE:
folks - - even if you don't agree with an article like that one,
Do Keep Things Civil with other forum.members.

thus refrain from comments that Don't pertain to the Article Itself.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Flemur wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am...............snip...

No, the windows upgrade didn't cause the problem.

Sunrise EMR had an error in their software; despite the misleading headline (a standard MSM trick), the article even says so:
"It was a generic issue in the prescribing software. It's a patch relating to upgrading to Microsoft 10."

Less dishonest articles on the same software error don't even mention Windows:
https://australiannewsreview.com/freedo ... se-bungle/
This is the type of thing, that takes researching to be sure what we are reading "is the truth".
but, from a layman's perspective, and the penchant of news editors "to be first", and to assuage their own personal vendettas against Microsoft, they purposely put a skew on the situation.

I read the Freedomroo article and it puts a more precise light on the real issue.
Inadequate testing by the manufacturer of the Sunrise software, put patients at risk.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”