Fiber optic links, ONT's, etc.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Fiber optic links, ONT's, etc.

Post by GS3 »

I know close to nothing about fiber optic links and I just want to kick around some ideas and maybe learn something in the process.

For some time I have thought of setting up a network bridge using Ethernet to fiber converters which can be bought quite inexpensively on ebay. I don't have a serious need but I think it would be neat to mess around with fiber optics. I could get a pair of converters and a length of fiber and be set.

Ethernet <-> Converter <-> Fiber <-> Converter <-> Ethernet

Basically what I understand is that there are different fiber diameters, laser wavelengths and other parameters and I must make sure they all match and agree.

I am pretty sure that would work without problem. Buy a couple of converters like these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384119338325
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284256858084
a length of matching fiber and it should work. For under $50 I can have a fiber optic link in my own home!

And then I realized I have several Internet provider ONT's in my junk, given to me by several people who no longer needed them.

I do not know to what extent it is feasible but it would be neat if they could be used as Ethernet - Fiber converters.

The question would be that I do not even know where to start. Is there a standard in types of fiber, wavelengths, etc? It would be great if I just plugged the fiber into them and they bridged the Ethernet ports but I suppose the chances of that happening are slim.

But suppose fiber to the home is pretty standard and they all use the same types of specs and they could "talk" to each other...

As i am writing this and thinking about it I realise a first problem.
Bidirectional links use different wavelengths in each direction.
For example in the pair I linked on eBay
HTB-3100A transmits in 1310nm and receives 1550nm;
HTB-3100B transmits in 1550nm and receives 1310nm.
so they are "symmetrical". One is A and the other is B. You cannot pair two A's or two B's.

Even if all residential ONT's were identical, which is far from certain, they would both be transmitting and receiving in the same wavelengths and could not talk to each other. Dang! Or maybe they can be configured.

Still, maybe someone has some ideas. Anyone here know anything about how all this works?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Open Chat”