My daily driver
M1A1_abrams.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
LMDE ROCKS!!!

caprus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What is your favorite car?

Post by caprus »

Back in April of 1970 my sister got engaged. About a week later she came to visit me and said:

"Bob's really a great guy, but he's incredibly cheap. My car (an old mustang 6 cyl.) is in really rough shape, and I know Bob won't ever let me buy another car after we get married. I've got some money now, so before the wedding I need to buy a reliable car that's not too flashy and will last forever. Will you help me find the right car?"

The wedding was still a couple of months away, so I went down to the local Plymouth dealer and ordered her a brand new 1970 Duster, slant six, 3 speed floor shift, AM radio, bench seats and not much else. Best car I ever saw. She drove it for ten years and around 280,000 miles without a single repair more serious than a brake job.

When she finally got rid of Bob she decided to get a new car too. She brought home a new Honda and drove the Duster deep into the woods behind her "dream home" (the rustic cabin Bob had been "building" for the past seven years) left it there.

Two years later her nearest neighbor got laid off, lost his pickup to the bank, had a wife who was 8+ months pregnant and was living way back in the woods seven miles from a paved road. My sister told him "If you can get it out of there it's all yours. It should run long enough to get your wife to the hospital."

The next day he arrived in her yard. He came with a spare battery, a can of gas, a tire pump, a jack and a set of jumper cables just in case. He only needed one of those though. The car started right up on the first try, so he pumped up the tires and drove it home.

The last I heard that Duster had something like 390,000 miles on it, and it was still going strong. It was really, really rusty but still mechanically sound.

Now that was a good car!
MS user 1989-2008
Linux user 2004-present

magnusk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magnusk »

Yes, it's a Citroen. A DS-model from 1967. It's not mine, it belongs to a Citroen fantast a know. What I like about the old Citroens is that they where ahead of their time with technical innovations and they where rather odd compared with other cars. Old Citroens were car you either loved or hated (perhaps is that why I love Linux). I might get an old Citroen when I retire. Meanwhile I'll have to stick to the newer models which are more like any car.
LM, Ubuntu, Debian

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

1957 Chevy, hands down.
Mint MATE 19.3

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

If I lived where there are roads ? BMW
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/6 ... _flow.html

Since I don't.The ultimate mountain car.
77 BJ40 diesel. 28 mpg. 500,000 mile drivetrain life, if properly maintained.
Attachments
2966574660_a36d938c9a.jpg
2966574660_a36d938c9a.jpg (140.77 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

caprus wrote:
The last I heard that Duster had something like 390,000 miles on it, and it was still going strong. It was really, really rusty but still mechanically sound.

Now that was a good car!
Cute story, and certainly the 390,000 mileage is believable. That Slant 6 was probably the most durable engine ever made in the US. New York taxis were known to run over 500,000 with it. The 3 speed Torqueflite AT was equally well built. Too bad Chrysler made pretty shoddy body hardware at the time.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

My dream car would have to be a '49 FORD with a 231 flathead and 3 on the tree don't know why I just love that car. My first car was a '75 Chevy Nova 4 door 350 w automatic but I learned to drive in a '65 Valiant Signet 100 w 225 slant six,and 3 on the tree standard. loved cars so much I became a mechanic 'til I retired from it in 2005 :wink:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

Statham
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Statham »

I love the DBS. But my favorite car is the Mazda Mx5.

grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My Daily Driver

Post by grey1960envoy »

Gramps50 wrote:
M1A1_abrams.jpg
Yup about 2? gallons per mile :lol:
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

My girlfriend just bought this.

2011 Corvette C6 . . . black on black . . . 430 hp . . . 6 speed manual . . . very fast.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wow vrkalak! Your girlfriend has great taste in cars!

I currently have a 1999 Ford Explorer with a 5.0 V8, it's all wheel drive with air ride suspension. I have been enjoying fixing the Explorer up for the most part. I have installed a high performance water pump with bigger bushings, Bosh Platinum 4 plugs, carbon fiber sealed idler pulley, new tensioner pulley (Ford oem), Gator belt, flushed the cooling system, installed a new thermostat, changed the air cleaner and changed the oil a few times already.

I am looking forward to installing Warrior 153 shackles and some Magnacor 8.5 mm plug wires. I don't mind turning a wrench. :D

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

exploder wrote:Wow vrkalak! Your girlfriend has great taste in cars!
More important, vrkalak has great taste in girlfriends! :lol: :lol: :lol:

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

More important, vrkalak has great taste in girlfriends! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, he sure does. :)

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

65 GTO with a 389, tri-power, and a 4 speed transmission.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

My girlfriend with the new Corvette C6 . . . is only trying to keep up with me. She knows she can't catch me anyway.

Image Image

My current favorite car . . . 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo . . . talk about "fast"

Just paid $7,000 for this awesome paint job. Why 'orange'? I want them to know I'm coming. :lol:

I collect Sports Cars ... I have 3 Porsches.

waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

vrkalak wrote: My current favorite car . . . 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo . . . talk about "fast"
It's been about 11 years since I have been in New Mexico, but my one of favorite drives around Santa Fe was down through the Turquoise Trail. Seems it would be great fun to rip that orange Porsche through Madrid, and scare the s**t out of the aging hippies that camp out permanently there! :lol:

It's a beautiful part of the US you live in. No place beckons me more.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

waldo wrote:
vrkalak wrote: My current favorite car . . . 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo . . . talk about "fast"
It's been about 11 years since I have been in New Mexico, but my one of favorite drives around Santa Fe was down through the Turquoise Trail. Seems it would be great fun to rip that orange Porsche through Madrid, and scare the snot out of the aging hippies that camp out permanently there! :lol:

It's a beautiful part of the US you live in. No place beckons me more.
North 'Highway 14' through Madrid . . . I know that road well. :P

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

People are in to fast cars and My favorite car which I most likely will never own is a 65 Mustang but I Drive an old Ford Pickup. I don't like things too low to the ground.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

People are in to fast cars and My favorite car which I most likely will never own is a 65 Mustang but I Drive an old Ford Pickup. I don't like things too low to the ground.
I like having some ground clearance too. :D

I do not have a prayer of keeping up with vrkalak's 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo on smooth dry pavement but I drove home tonight on snow covered roads doing 55 mph and never slid or spun a tire. I love all wheel drive in the snow and mud. :) Also, love the orange on the Porsche, the paint looks absolutely perfect! I bet that Porsche turns a lot of heads, beautiful car. :)

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

exploder wrote:
Also, love the orange on the Porsche, the paint looks absolutely perfect! I bet that Porsche turns a lot of heads, beautiful car. :)
That it does. :P

Return to “Open chat”