LM Forums Down again...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

LM Forums Down again...

Post by Portreve »

So, any idea what happened this time? Seems like the forums were out from early this morning (or late last night?) until just a little while ago.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: LM Forums Down again...

Post by AndyMH »

I'd like to know as well, the only way I found out it wasn't just me is that it was also posted on the mint sub-reddit. Seems it wasn't just the forum as well.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

So, any idea what happened this time? Seems like the forums were out from early this morning (or late last night?) until just a little while ago.
Yep...It was out for quite a while here as well in Alamogordo, NM...DAMIEN
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Here too.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Portreve.

Not only the forum was unreachable. It affected the Blog site, the Community site and the main Mint repository servers as well. At least this is what it looked like from this side of the Atlantic Ocean.
For me it must have happened in the afternoon around 15:00 CEST (13:00 UTC) and persisted till some time in the late evening.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

karlchen wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:31 pm Hi, Portreve.

Not only the forum was unreachable. It affected the Blog site, the Community site and the main Mint repository servers as well. At least this is what it looked like from this side of the Atlantic Ocean.
For me it must have happened in the afternoon around 15:00 CEST (13:00 UTC) and persisted till some time in the late evening.

Cheers,
Karl
Whatever caused it must have been a real doozy if a mod doesn't know what happened.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Today has been a strange, strange beast indeed.

Can one hijack one's own thread? I mean, I started this out as a discussion about LMF's unavailability (and getting the service provider's 503 (or was it 403?) error page. However, I've been having a few issues and now it seems to be a local issue, so it's good to know at least some of them aren't "just me".

For quite a while now I've been running Windows 10 on my desktop. Recently I bought a 1TB WD Black MVNE M.2 drive because I no longer wanted to keep physically swapping between two different units and wearing the socket connector out. I also decided I wanted to try out Fedora 34 on bare metal because I know that, as I go through my Network+ education process, and beyond that, I'm going to need exposure to RedHat's stuff. So, I dual booted with W10 and Fedora 34.

However, I started noticing I was having WiFi connectivity issues, and they seemed to only occur under Fedora. I could never reproduce them under Windows, so I decided to try reinstalling LM 20. Ultimately, I was having the same problems. I'm not going to look it up now, but there's on LMF a parameter changing command you can issue which shuts off power management on the WNIC. I tried that, and briefly it seemed like maybe that made a difference, but ultimately nope, it didn't.

So, I called Comcast and initially went through their automated system, which restarted my modem. This, too, didn't fix the problem, so then I called back and got through to a live person. They seemed to think, based on what their system told them, that there was a problem, and so they put in an order for a tech to come out on Tuesday. That's all fine and we'll, but now the situation has deteriorated to the point where I cannot surf at all from any device in the house. I power cycled the modem, and have now done a physical hardware reset. I can't even get to the setup pages on it to do anything. Oddly, I can issue ping commands and I can successfully ping various web servers. But I can't do anything else with it.

This is definitely very frustrating.

Well, at least LMF's service provider for their forums, web site, and repos has pulled their head out of their ass (again). We've been down this road so many times already, and as much as I love LM and donate to the project every month, I'm getting a bit tired of the situation.

Incidentally, if I were to consider giving Comcast their modem back, what is considered good hardware at this point for me to buy?

EDIT: In talking to another online agent, they explained what I could not understand from the previous over the phone one: there is a signal leak. I'm thinking it's got to be a modem component failure. However, I suppose there could be a bad section of line somewhere. I just hope it can be easily solved.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Unless you aren't sure you'll stick with an isp more than 2 years...always buy your own modem and wireless router.
Why?
1. Cheaper in the long run
2. You be able to choose a much better one that can has better processing specs about it ( thus a better chance of being able to hit the 98% of your bandwidth " up to" speeds")
3. CONcast can't use your modem's bandwidth to any ( even if it's very tiny) extent as portable cell phone towers for their cellular service. yes...when you lease an Xfinity internet modem, comcast cell phone customers - and they don't often know this nor have any control over this either- are using your modem as a connection tower when their cell phone is in range. Ah...I don't know about you, but no 3#$%kin thanks to that nonsense. I don't get paid to be a cell phone tower for other people.
4. You have far more control over what your own modem ( as well as if you purchased a router) and router allow incoming and outgoing as far as any form of internet or local networking traffic.

If you're wanting a cable modem that can handle speeds up to around 850Mbps like a boss and decently well enough fiber speeds of up to 1Gbps..the Arris sb6190 is a solid choice.

If you choose to buy your own modem, You'll have to get a live rep on the phone ( chances are because it can be hit or miss on both phone and the stupid live chat option..I went through hell trying to find one person that actually knew her head from her butt) and provide the MAC address aka MAC ID on either the retail box or the modem itself, explain when you have everything connected and the entire process ( if the rep knows wth he or she is actually doing) should take not even 15 minutes tops worse case - probably more like 10 minutes - from when you have him or her on the phone.

Don't forget to get a signed receipt from the Xfinity store rep you turned in the comcast leased modem to.

I used to work for them on both tv/billing/sales support and internet support and you wouldn't believe how often I encountered incompetent store and a few call center reps here and there too that just refused to perform qc logs on customer returned networking and tv hd dvrs...even when I've watched the security cameras based upon the stories of customers telling me exact dates and times they turned in those devices and the idiot reps still wanted to argue with me ( needless to say..they weren't with the company much longer after I contacted their managers and explained the deal and showed the camera footages)

Just trying to save you some headaches in the long run. Cheers.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I noticed it when trying to install updates.
changed to a bunch of new repositories, nada.

So I tried this forum, got Server down message from 7 am to 5 pm

Finally gave up
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Yesterday the whole day no access to the Mint forums from Switzerland, only the Sucuri error message...

When Sucuri appears I know by now that neither my device nor my internet connection is defective... 8)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I spent most of the day waddling errands so I wasn't greatly inconvenienced by the outage although I am curious to know "wha hoppened"?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - it did indeed Go Down,
around 1300z for some time, as well.

so .. moved to other Web Site(s) instead.

NB: us Forum.Moderators, often Don't Know anymore that you forum.regulars would.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pierre wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:35 am Yeah - - it did indeed Go Down,
around 1300z for some time, as well.

so .. moved to other Web Site(s) instead.

NB: us Forum.Moderators, often Don't Know anymore that you forum.regulars would.
:arrow:
Aw gee, here I had though you all were omniscient gods. I feel so disillusioned. :cry:

:wink:
Jeannie

Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

Check server down or last down at isitdownrightnow
Here you can also see that not all sites were down yesterday.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

The Forum was out here most of the day don't know when it started but checked several times and it was down till sometime yesterday evening.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Gruppo Sportivo wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 am Check server down or last down at isitdownrightnow
YUP .. did exactly that scenerio .. went it first went down
- - as it's often Just My MBB Connection - - except that this time, it wasn't so - -
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Portreve wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:26 pmSo, any idea what happened this time? Seems like the forums were out from early this morning (or late last night?) until just a little while ago.
It takes a while to get 5 million dollars in bitcoins together and ready for delivery.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

No - but the transfer of them is so slow...
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:11 am Aw gee, here I had though you all were omniscient gods. I feel so disillusioned. :cry:

:wink:
If it makes you feel better, feel free to imagine us as being superhumanly attractive. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”