Access HP Printer's Web Setup Pages over USB...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Access HP Printer's Web Setup Pages over USB...

Post by Portreve »

ATTENTION: BEFORE RESPONDING TO THIS POST, please skip to the end after the break. Thanks!

As some of you may know, LM's transition to LM 20.1 broke some printer compatibilities. Included among this were HP printers which use the hp-plugin to work.

Recently (within the last few days) HP has released some updates to their software and now list LM 20.1 as being compatible. So, I decided to give things a try and see what happens. Well, yeah... not so much.

I've been screwing around with this thing, first trying to use just the bundled (in the repos) versions, and when that failed to work out, I uninstalled everything and installed the latest version direct from HP's own hplip site. Still no dice. At all. Doesn't matter what I've tried.

So, the HP LaserJet P1102w is wirelessly networkable, and has its own on-board web server to serve up status and setup pages. However, try as I might, I simply cannot find any usable information about how to determine the exact address to use, so I have no way to set up the wireless functionality of the printer.

My question to the community is this: does anyone here happen to know what the address is (or, at least, how to determine what it should be for my particular printer)? I've done this before, where I've hit the web server over USB. However, I was stupid and didn't write down the address at the time, so now I'm stuck trying to reconstruct that, and I'm just getting absolutely nowhere.

Please and thank you!

UPDATE: I decided to just try going through WPS, and that managed to get it to where I could set it up remotely via my router. This then having been accomplished...

I am starting to wonder about the relationship with hplip and hp-plugin, and I'm wondering because this HP printer, which absolutely would not work just mere moments ago (as described above) can now be successfully printed from as a network device.

I dunno about anyone else, but I find that rather interesting...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Access HP Printer's Web Setup Pages over USB...

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 pm I dunno about anyone else, but I find that rather interesting...
Well, not here, where it's an expected issue. There are at least a dozen printer protocols, and these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head:
  • AppSocket (HP JetDirect)
  • Windows (smb)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (https)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
  • LDP/LPR
  • NX Virtual Printing (nxprint)
They take time to discover. A lack of discovery would explain your situation, up to the point where it started to work when discovery was made. It takes a combination of zero-configuration networking ("ZeroConf"), multicast DNS (mDNS), and DNS service discovery (DNS-SD) standards wrapped together in an Apple technology called Bonjour to find a printer. It's not surprising, given the mess above.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:12 pm Well, not here, where it's an expected issue. There are at least a dozen printer protocols, and these are the ones I can recall off the top of my head:
  • AppSocket (HP JetDirect)
  • Windows (smb)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (https)
  • Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
  • LDP/LPR
  • NX Virtual Printing (nxprint)
They take time to discover. A lack of discovery would explain your situation, up to the point where it started to work when discovery was made. It takes a combination of zero-configuration networking ("ZeroConf"), multicast DNS (mDNS), and DNS service discovery (DNS-SD) standards wrapped together in an Apple technology called Bonjour to find a printer. It's not surprising, given the mess above.
Omg, that's a blast from the past. I haven't thought about any of that in nearly a score of years.

And I remember Steve Jobs introducing Bonjour back in the day, talking about how it makes discovery and connection so much easier. I just didn't realize it was still actively around. Originally, it was called Rendezvous, but then later they changed the name to Bonjour for some reason that either I can't remember, or maybe never knew.

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:58 am Omg, that's a blast from the past.
It was only recently that Apple gave up with CUPS development, late last year, I think, and Bonjour is part of CUPS. The sole developer left Apple and now maintains it on his own. Heaven forbid that he get hit by a truck.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:46 am
Portreve wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:58 am Omg, that's a blast from the past.
It was only recently that Apple gave up with CUPS development, late last year, I think, and Bonjour is part of CUPS. The sole developer left Apple and now maintains it on his own. Heaven forbid that he get hit by a truck.
:shock:

Unlike many (most?) other companies, one can be fairly confident Apple's got something up their sleeve.

Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:12 am Unlike many (most?) other companies, one can be fairly confident Apple's got something up their sleeve.
Yes. They are paying the CUPS maintainer to maintain it. True.

lol
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, I guess to my original point, what exactly is the function of the hp-plugin?

Return to “Open Chat”