Should I sell my soul to China for ROOT access?

Chat about just about anything else
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Should I sell my soul to China for ROOT access?

Post by trytip »

I downloaded manjaro-deepin-21.0.4-210506-linux510.iso because i do like the way Deepin looks, but upon further testing i could not import my wallpapers and themes or hosts into Root partition. Deepin used to have "Open as Administrator" last year or the year before. i did not decide to install Deepin desktop at that time because it was still trying to make up it's mind on what kind of desktop to be.
as of now it seems to be a decent looking desktop with bluring effects underneath transparency and a good looking Calendar that you can actually click to add tasks. i know KDE Plasma has removed kdesu for "our" convenience as Gnome did. looks like the beginning of Linux Closed Source.
thank you Linux Mint for keeping "Open as Root" alive.

many will argue we don't need GUI applications or Terminals with root access and that may be fine for them. such a shame, what a deal breaker.
all41
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Should I sell my soul to China for ROOT access?

Post by all41 »

That would be a deal breaker for me, no doubt.

The Dolphin Action 'Open as root' is present in Kubuntu 20.04.2 using KDE Plasma 5.18.5 and Dolphin 19.12.3
and does not use kdesu. There is some kind of patch that I haven't had time to track down.
Kubuntu is a rather nice implementation of Plasma.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

trytip wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm
i know KDE Plasma has removed kdesu for "our" convenience as Gnome did. looks like the beginning of Linux Closed Source.
This is simply wrong. kdesudo/kdesu and gksudo/gksu have by now been replaced by pkexec for graphical applications. sudo still exists. And the source codes are still publically available, hence open-source.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 10.00 64-bit
The Prophet's Song
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

karlchen wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:43 am
trytip wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm
i know KDE Plasma has removed kdesu for "our" convenience as Gnome did. looks like the beginning of Linux Closed Source.
This is simply wrong. kdesudo/kdesu and gksudo/gksu have by now been replaced by pkexec for graphical applications. sudo still exists. And the source codes are still publically available, hence open-source.
i was unclear, i meant dolphin-root kate-root and nautilus-root gedit-root. i know you have to jump through hoops to achieve these but you should have no need to. i did try KDE Plasma opensuse which is enterprise edition and also mageia. on their forums they still suggest to install root-services which almost never worked in KDE5 because of some d-bus error. so if the code is open source why do distributions explicitly remove these from repositories. i don't mean the community created root-services which was awesome in kde4.
i don't need an answer, i would like root access to my linux, but apparently linux isn't mine any more. (excluding Linux Mint and Manjaro still has "Open as Administrator" in Budgie which i tried)
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

What exactly does any of this have to do with China?
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Body Type: Clearly not one to turn down a taco.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
all41
Level 17
Level 17

Post by all41 »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 pm
this:
this.png
this.png (24.43 KiB) Viewed 715 times
and this:
https://cntechpost.com/2020/01/06/downl ... ng-system/
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

all41 wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:12 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 pm
this:
this.png
and this:
https://cntechpost.com/2020/01/06/downl ... ng-system/
Oh shoot!
Your intermittently humble Portreve.

Body Type: Clearly not one to turn down a taco.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1
Location: All over the Adelaide Hills and Fleurio region of South Australia

Post by paddys-hill »

This is simply wrong. kdesudo/kdesu and gksudo/gksu have by now been replaced by pkexec for graphical applications. sudo still exists.
Yeah, pity though that they forgot that gksu had an easy to use yad-like thingo that let you create your own authorisation popup! IIRC kdesu had one too, but it was less easy to use.

... and before you start telling me how to use xml to do the same let me just say this. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: XML it took 2 minutes not 2 hours.
Paddys-Hill Co-op co-ordinator & sysadmin
Acer Aspire A315-21G (AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5) running 5.11.0-22-generic
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Register an online account to be allowed to run administrative tasks. Did they forgot to disable an April fools' day joke after April? Or trying too hard to be like the "cool" proprietary OSes...

I took a look at the code for developer mode dialog https://github.com/linuxdeepin/dde-cont ... widget.cpp but not being a C++/Qt programmer it's gibberish to me. If there's any genuine interest in using Deepin you'd expect the community to patch this stuff out and just hardcode it to always have developer mode enabled.

My interest in Deepin has gone. I also tried the ISO you linked to and I must say when I compare it to the Deepin of years ago I don't see anything that would appeal. Why not use KDE? It can be made to look exactly like that.