Flower Thieves Very Frustrating

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Flower Thieves Very Frustrating

Post by JTemple »

"And to an extent who they are stealing from. When a piece of art is stolen it not only deprives the owner but also those that just want to gaze at it. Making light of the theft of flowers is the same as making light of the theft of anything that might otherwise bring joy to others. In a way it totally misses the point of the finer things in life."

Well said!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Would installing an electrified fence violate any local ordinances?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:30 pm Would installing an electrified fence violate any local ordinances?
I'm fairly sure it would, being a risk to children on the side walk.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:45 amAn easy option to start with is a small sign that says 'Smile, you're on camera'.
If that doesn't work, try sudo smile, you\'re on camera.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Flemur wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:18 pm
Moem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:45 amAn easy option to start with is a small sign that says 'Smile, you're on camera'.
If that doesn't work, try sudo smile, you\'re on camera.
That'll work! :D
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

JTemple wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am What would any of you do? :(
I would plant jequirity beans, wintersweet, jessamine, monkshood, belladonna, hemlock...

And put up a small sign that said, "Warning: Toxic plants. Please feel free to steal them."
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 pm
I would plant jequirity beans, wintersweet, jessamine, monkshood, belladonna, hemlock...

And put up a small sign that said, "Warning: Toxic plants. Please feel free to steal them."
I do like that idea!! :D
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:38 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:35 pm

I do like that idea!! :D
Here are some suggestions:
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/blog/2 ... us-plants/
Cliff Coggin
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

When I was a kid, my parents had rose bushes and carnations lining our yard. People would regularly come up and snip a bud or two (this would be the era of Flower Power)...and if our parents were in the yard, many times the passers by would offer them a dime. Money or no money, we were honoured that our flowers were so prized.

We never considered it to be "wreaking havoc", bu hey....you do you.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MartyMint wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:18 pm When I was a kid, my parents had rose bushes and carnations lining our yard. People would regularly come up and snip a bud or two (this would be the era of Flower Power)...and if our parents were in the yard, many times the passers by would offer them a dime. Money or no money, we were honoured that our flowers were so prized.

We never considered it to be "wreaking havoc", bu hey....you do you.
Yes I do! They do not take a bud or two, they take them by the dozen AND as often as not, drop them on the side-walk within a block, worse, there is one that just rips them out and drops them on the side-walk right in front of where she pulled them out! On my street, I am not the only one tormented by this behaviour. One could always ask! I have never refused to cut a few for a person that asked and I have been asked, most often by children BUT I get to choose where the cuts are made so as to keep balance over all. I even ask what types they would like. I will never cut the poppies because the petals promptly fall off when cut. Again, it is my work, my garden and my planning. I think that I have been very tolerant over time, after all, I never, once, called authorities when I caught a culprit. I have also been very tolerant of other petty theft crimes over the years, stuff I don't think a person's life should be wrecked for. That does not make such behaviour any less frustrating! No doubt your parents would have lost patience if they were losing them by the dozens! Also note, by expressing my frustration here, I HARM NO ONE!
Last edited by JTemple on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm I HARM NO ONE!
Loaded mouse traps would work well.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

They do not take a bud or two, they take them by the dozen AND worse, as often as not, drop them on the side-walk within a block, worse, there is one that just rips them out and drops them on the side-walk right in front of where she pulled them out!
This is the perfect deterrent to your plant thief problems...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjook1I0V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYBTzTj07g
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:08 am
JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:55 pm I HARM NO ONE!
Loaded mouse traps would work well.
Better still, the bigger rat traps!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:42 am
They do not take a bud or two, they take them by the dozen AND worse, as often as not, drop them on the side-walk within a block, worse, there is one that just rips them out and drops them on the side-walk right in front of where she pulled them out!
This is the perfect deterrent to your plant thief problems...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLjook1I0V4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKYBTzTj07g
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Wow, that's hella disrespectful of them. I'd probably set up a security camera, take notes, and hand the footage and notes to the police, as well as the cost of the flowers, if it bothered me that much, which it probably would. It's still theft and clearly part of your property. You could maybe even argue it's vandalism, but I dunno if that's lawfully true. :lol:

You could put up a high fence and have a solid gate, but that'll no doubt cost quite a bit, and why should you have to do that?

Nevermind, having read more posts by you, I've decided the police over there are useless. :( Maybe go the fence route, but first try your luck with the notes and footage? Do you have any free advice lawyers over there? Over here we have something like that, but I realise it's probably a luxury.

Stress how it has been negatively impacting your mental health, if you have to, which it sounds like is the case. I know not every country or society therein takes that stuff seriously, though.

This is such a "first world problem", though. :lol: I know you're stressed with it, as I would be too, but take a step back and admire the hilarity of stressing over people stealing your flowers, when kids in third-world countries starve and die of sickness their parents can't afford to cure. That sort of perspective keeps me from losing my mind, sometimes. You could always get a really, really aggressive dog. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Termy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:43 pm Wow, that's hella disrespectful of them. I'd probably set up a security camera, take notes, and hand the footage and notes to the police, as well as the cost of the flowers, if it bothered me that much, which it probably would. It's still theft and clearly part of your property. You could maybe even argue it's vandalism, but I dunno if that's lawfully true. :lol:

You could put up a high fence and have a solid gate, but that'll no doubt cost quite a bit, and why should you have to do that?

Nevermind, having read more posts by you, I've decided the police over there are useless. :( Maybe go the fence route, but first try your luck with the notes and footage? Do you have any free advice lawyers over there? Over here we have something like that, but I realise it's probably a luxury.

Stress how it has been negatively impacting your mental health, if you have to, which it sounds like is the case. I know not every country or society therein takes that stuff seriously, though.

This is such a "first world problem", though. :lol: I know you're stressed with it, as I would be too, but take a step back and admire the hilarity of stressing over people stealing your flowers, when kids in third-world countries starve and die of sickness their parents can't afford to cure. That sort of perspective keeps me from losing my mind, sometimes. You could always get a really, really aggressive dog. :P
The day will never come when I get stressed out over flowers. It was a different story when they went to my back yard and maliciously destroyed all of my tomatoes and other veg. The tomatoes were a huge loss because we use a lot of them and I grow enough to last me the whole year. That did stress me out a bit but I got over it pretty quick. As for the flowers, it an aesthetic loss for the whole neighbourhood; again, it's not something I'd try to ruin somebody's life over. I think I will put up a brick wall fence, eventually. The day I made the OP, I had just had someone take out a dozen or more tulips and was momentarily frustrated. I'll be fine if they don't attack beans, tomatoes or squash again. I grow a lot of my own produce from herbs to greens and I grow chives and onions in the front because they also look nice with the big pom-pom blooms. Chives are no worry, they grow like bad weeds :lol: . I, absolutely, don't want a dog eating anyone!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I, absolutely, don't want a dog eating anyone!
Don't worry...The dog won't eat anyone...its just a taste test...lol...DAMIEN
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:35 pm
I, absolutely, don't want a dog eating anyone!
Don't worry...The dog won't eat anyone...its just a taste test...lol...DAMIEN
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JTemple wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:10 pm ...it's not something I'd try to ruin somebody's life over...
You wouldn't be ruining anyone's life; they would have done it to themselves. By not doing something about it, you are essentially condoning it and giving them license to keep doing it, both to you and to others. Again, if the police won't do something about it, contact consumer advocates in the local media (TV, newspapers) to see if they might be interested in trying to stir up some action. You do not deserve to be treated this way nor should you have to put up with it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Not to take away from your troubles JTemple but my sister was having a similar problem. No theft but still unwanted people.

My sister was growing habanero peppers for salsa making. If you don't know, they are a beautiful bright orange colour that stands out quite well. She started having problems with the neighbourhood kids touching them and then touching sensitive body parts. Their parents complained, so she put up a chicken wire fence around them. The next thing she knows, adults are complaining because they were having the same ailments as the kids. They were actually reaching through the fencing. She finally stopped growing them and started buying peppers.

Maybe you could grow some habaneros among the flowers, they are a very nice colour. Maybe even sprinkle cayenne pepper on or around the flowers. It sure stopped the pet dog from digging up the rose bushes. Kind of delayed burn but it might help if they are a little intelligent.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Return to “Open Chat”