Flower Thieves Very Frustrating

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Flower Thieves Very Frustrating

Post by JTemple »

I keep an attractive flower garden in my front yard. It's a lot of work to keep it trimmed, weeded, watered and healthy. Every spring through fall I get flower thieves. Recently we caught one of them and to my astonishment, even caught red handed, she refused to give the flowers back and said "There're just flowers!" Right, and I grew them. I did not want to get in a tussle over flowers and wind up with an assault charge but my neighbour just reached over and grabbed them out of her hand. I trimmed them and put them in a vase on the kitchen table. I do not know what I can do to stop the problem that has been happening for years and gets worse every year. I hate to bother police over minor delinquencies but it is an endless problem and the culprits are various low lifes. It's not as though it was a single thief. I am rapidly reaching the point of putting in paving stone and giving up on my garden. The sad thing is, the garden is so pretty many people come, just, to take pictures of it. It's kind of famous in the area and bees and butterflies love it. What would any of you do? :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Flower Theives Very Frustrating

Post by AndyMH »

Well when somebody drove down the side of my car, did £3500 damage and did a runner, I installed CCTV.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Flower Thieves Very Frustrating

Post by Moem »

Can you plant something prickly/thorny in between the road side and the flowers?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

An electric fence as used to contain cattle around the edge. It won't cause injury unfortunately, but it will make them think twice.
Cliff Coggin
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm it will make them think twice.
That's two times more than the number of times they are thinking now!
Some people's children... :evil:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm An electric fence as used to contain cattle around the edge. It won't cause injury unfortunately, but it will make them think twice.
That's actually a good idea. I'll need to check with the city to see if that's allowed within the city limits. I suspect it is not, after all, what if a small child, accidentally touched it. In fact, as I think about it, being right up against a public side-walk, it might be a pretty bad idea.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

I'm thinking the same as AndyMH, a security camera.

You could also put up a polite little sign, maybe with a bit of humour in it but with a serious undertone, asking people not to remove plants or flowers.

I wouldn't pave it over, not without trying other things first.

[Edit] something like : "If we wanted our flowers to go walkies, we'd have planted Triffids! We hope you enjoy the display and please leave it as you found it."

Maybe put it out to others to come up with some possible words.
Last edited by Mick-Cork on Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Mick-Cork wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:29 pm I'm thinking the same as AndyMH, a security camera.
It also gives you an excuse, if you need one, to get a NAS. My CCTV is a Synology NAS + surveillance station software (free with the NAS) and a couple of POE IP cameras (cheap chinese) :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

JTemple wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:43 pm
cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:27 pm An electric fence as used to contain cattle around the edge. It won't cause injury unfortunately, but it will make them think twice.
That's actually a good idea. I'll need to check with the city to see if that's allowed within the city limits. I suspect it is not, after all, what if a small child, accidentally touched it. In fact, as I think about it, being right up against a public side-walk, it might be a pretty bad idea.
So a ring of land mines is out of the question then?
Cliff Coggin
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Put up a photo of the culprit(s) advertising they are thieves. If stated under the photo "this person took without permission" it implies but doesn't actually say "thief".

Imply the next person to do it will also have their picture taken.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

JTemple wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:35 am Recently we caught one of them and to my astonishment, even caught red handed, she refused to give the flowers back and said "There're just flowers!" Right, and I grew them. I did not want to get in a tussle over flowers and wind up with an assault charge but my neighbour just reached over and grabbed them out of her hand.
Good for your neighbor. People are so entitled nowadays. I wonder how did this happen (the entitlement)? They don't realize or think just how much time, work, and money goes into things they get for "free," or by theft.

P.S. How about a picture of your flower garden? I'm curious.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Flower thief problems?
good grief
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Talk to your local law enforcement agency to see what your options are. They might agree to respond to theft complaints if you could provide photographic proof of someone stealing your flowers and can identify the culprits. You may have to install several security cameras that can show the faces of the thieves and the license plates of their vehicles and post some specific signage.

I encourage you to at least attempt to do something about it. People (I use that term loosely) feel they can get away with things like this because the victims don't want to make a big deal of it or are afraid to do so. If the police aren't interested about doing something about it, possibly contacting one or more of local TV stations to see if they might do a story on the thefts and, possibly, the lack of support from the police might get results.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:10 pm Talk to your local law enforcement agency to see what your options are. They might agree to respond to theft complaints if you could provide photographic proof of someone stealing your flowers and can identify the culprits. You may have to install several security cameras that can show the faces of the thieves and the license plates of their vehicles and post some specific signage.

I encourage you to at least attempt to do something about it. People (I use that term loosely) feel they can get away with things like this because the victims don't want to make a big deal of it or are afraid to do so. If the police aren't interested about doing something about it, possibly contacting one or more of local TV stations to see if they might do a story on the thefts and, possibly, the lack of support from the police might get results.
It's not fear that makes me hesitate to involve police; police did nothing when my house was broken into and medications and money was stolen. The police said there was nothing they could do, "To bad". I suppose, if the loss of medications had caused a death they might have been more interested. After that I got 2 dogs, one was a big Rottweiler. No one has tried a break in since!
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

MartyMint wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:01 pm Flower thief problems?
good grief
Do you do any gardening? If you do, you'd understand the frustration. A nice garden takes a lot of planning, work and some expense that's a waste when people keep wrecking havoc on it. :x
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 am
good grief
Do you do any gardening? If you do, you'd understand the frustration. A nice garden takes a lot of planning, work and some expense that's a waste when people keep wrecking havoc on it. :x
I tend to agree here, does it make a difference what they are stealing?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

An easy option to start with is a small sign that says 'Smile, you're on camera'.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:45 am An easy option to start with is a small sign that says 'Smile, you're on camera'.
I love that one! :lol:

Perhaps another interesting option: on the very outside of your garden, so directly alongside the street / kerb, plant a row of flowers that are known to attract bees and other stinging b**tards in swarms:
https://www.countryliving.com/gardening ... ract-bees/

They'll gladly help you defend your garden. 8)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:50 am
Moem wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:45 am An easy option to start with is a small sign that says 'Smile, you're on camera'.
I love that one! :lol:

Perhaps another interesting option: on the very outside of your garden, so directly alongside the street / kerb, plant a row of flowers that are known to attract bees and other stinging b**tards in swarms:
https://www.countryliving.com/gardening ... ract-bees/

They'll gladly help you defend your garden. 8)
There are cameras, I have tried signs saying so and the garden is exclusively bee and butterfly attractive plants. I may try to involve police BUT if they fail to show any interest to investigate burglary can I honestly expect them to care about garden plants. (No matter what I may have paid for said plants)

I often get about fantasies to committing criminal assault! Did you ever wonder why a "sweet, innocent" person gets into the news for having gotten a severe "senseless" beating. Well, just drive a person nuts for 10 years with "minor delinquency" and you might have the answer to some of those "senseless beatings" of those pure and innocent souls. (I know, they are definitely making me some what unbalanced. I'll be back on an even keel by the end of October)
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

HaveaMint wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 am
JTemple wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:22 am
good grief
I tend to agree here, does it make a difference what they are stealing?
And to an extent who they are stealing from. When a piece of art is stolen it not only deprives the owner but also those that just want to gaze at it. Making light of the theft of flowers is the same as making light of the theft of anything that might otherwise bring joy to others. In a way it totally misses the point of the finer things in life.

Return to “Open Chat”