Win 10 is EOL Oct. 14th, 2025...LOL.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Win 10 is EOL Oct. 14th, 2025...LOL.

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 pm I don't like the look of the Windows 11 menu and file manager. Almost half the menu filled with "recommendations". Ads will go there I guess. And the file manager's toolbar with a mix of large and small buttons looks cluttered and confusing.

But I do like the window snap button:
So now everybody has to have a "dock"... lol
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
emmalfal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by emmalfal »

Windows is still a thing? Well, huh. I thought they went away in October of 2019, when I installed Linux Mint.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

t42 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:50 am The Microsoft Linux is available from November 2003:
Microsoft Linux - the premier linux distro 8)
2021-06-15 09-48-59.png
Microsoft Linux
Jumping freaking cheese balls! I almost vommitted. lol. " Two words combined that can't make sense"

*George Carlin accent* " Jumbo..shrimp...They have that too maaaaan" xD
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:41 pm ...But I do like the window snap button:
Whooptydo. The keyboard windows snap function in Mint Cinnamon is almost as good (maybe even better, I'm still learning). I can easily snap a window to the four corners; any more than that will probably result in windows being too small to use, especially on a 17" monitor (although I am using five windows in a workspace right now).
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Gaming on LEAKED Windows 11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odZSCdNTFPw

the Guy is seriously excited
:roll:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Someone really needs to seriously confiscate his crack pipe from him...hes waaay too excited and jacked up...lol...DAMIEN
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:06 am
Someone really needs to seriously confiscate his crack pipe from him...hes waaay too excited and jacked up...lol...DAMIEN
To be fair he has made videos about Linux:

("10 ways Linux is just better")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAFMJ1LnQu8

("Linux gaming better than Windows?")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_-HMkgxt0
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

pinballfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:09 am ("Linux gaming better than Windows?")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_-HMkgxt0
Y'know, it's funny because I've been listening to the Destination Linux and This Week In Linux podcasts lately, and I remember hearing that there are some serious efforts with respect to Steam, Proton, etc., and making them Wayland compatible, and the essence of it is getting it to where gaming is competitive on Linux. I don't remember all the details, but I do remember there was talk about a Steam Box, or something like that. Anyhow, by getting games to be written such that they're Linux compatible, it would be much easier to get Linux versions, have them be really decent, etc.

I'm certain I'm not really repeating it correctly, and also I'm not a developer so the best I can do is point folk to those podcasts and suggest you have a listen and then comment.

Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I forgot to mention it previously, but I was listening to a British radio station¹ the other morning on my way to work² ³ (I think it was a BBC London station) and the two hosts (a woman and a man) were talking about technology stuff and the whole Windows 10 bring EOL'd in 2025 came up. Even though they didn't say anything which was factually false, it really struck me that these two are strictly lightweights and have no clue about how things actually work.

¹ I also like listening to LBC from time to time. Where the h*** were we before the age of streaming?

² Does anyone here have suggestions/recommendations of other European radio stations I can stream? I always like experiencing new things from new places.

³ I semi-regularly listen to the Destination Linux and This Week In Linux podcasts. Does anyone here have suggestions of other podcasts to check out?

pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 pm I forgot to mention it previously, but I was listening to a British radio station¹ the other morning on my way to work² ³ (I think it was a BBC London station) and the two hosts (a woman and a man) were talking about technology stuff and the whole Windows 10 bring EOL'd in 2025 came up. Even though they didn't say anything which was factually false, it really struck me that these two are strictly lightweights and have no clue about how things actually work.
I've always considered myself an intermediate when it comes to computing knowledge. I know a decent amount, but on places like this forum, I feel humbled in comparison to a lot of top notch expertise that I don't possess. It baffles me how radio/tv caters to the lowest common denominator. You'd have thought that an expert would be needed, while with the media they want a presenter, rather than someone who knows the ins and outs of computing. Even I would be too advanced let alone the rest of you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

pinballfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:15 pm
Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:28 pm I forgot to mention it previously, but I was listening to a British radio station¹ the other morning on my way to work² ³ (I think it was a BBC London station) and the two hosts (a woman and a man) were talking about technology stuff and the whole Windows 10 bring EOL'd in 2025 came up. Even though they didn't say anything which was factually false, it really struck me that these two are strictly lightweights and have no clue about how things actually work.
I've always considered myself an intermediate when it comes to computing knowledge. I know a decent amount, but on places like this forum, I feel humbled in comparison to a lot of top notch expertise that I don't possess. It baffles me how radio/tv caters to the lowest common denominator. You'd have thought that an expert would be needed, while with the media they want a presenter, rather than someone who knows the ins and outs of computing. Even I would be too advanced let alone the rest of you.
In reverse order: Yep, we're on the exact same page. The media seems to function in pretty much the same way corporations do, with presenters and functionaries rep'ing for things requiring considerably greater knowledge, experience, and insight than they possess. And, I am someone who comes from a place where I was towards the upper end of the knowledge/experience spectrum, and now within the Linux ecosystem, I feel exactly as you do. I really don't know how much of that comes from "experience" in the classical sense, and how much comes from also writing code or having some kind of significant exposure to the code (or whatever else it might take) to know what makes things tick.

Or, to quote Admiral Kirk from ST II: TWoK, “You have to learn why things work on a starship.”

RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

There is also terminology i.e. EOL "End Of Life". It isn't, it is EOS "End Of Support" something totally different. End of life means dead and possibly needing burial too. It is simply not true and of course it seems to have come from Microsoft.

Another term bandied about over the past year, "social distancing" when they mean "physical distancing", a completely different thing. Social media allows social closeness and the pandemic never shut down or stopped Facebook and others like it.

Considering life is getting to rely more on technology one might have expected that correct terminology would be critical .... but it isn't, especially where the news media are concerned.
pinballfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pinballfan »

RollyShed wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:10 pm There is also terminology i.e. EOL "End Of Life". It isn't, it is EOS "End Of Support" something totally different. End of life means dead and possibly needing burial too. It is simply not true and of course it seems to have come from Microsoft.

Another term bandied about over the past year, "social distancing" when they mean "physical distancing", a completely different thing. Social media allows social closeness and the pandemic never shut down or stopped Facebook and others like it.

Considering life is getting to rely more on technology one might have expected that correct terminology would be critical .... but it isn't, especially where the news media are concerned.
You know, Microsoft want to be cutting edge and continually drive for the latest and greatest, but when you mention the panedmic, it reminds me of the situation the world finds itself in. Buying pc components is expensive at the moment. Linux seems to be more flexible with older tech, which a lot of people are having to put up with/rely upon. Windows 10 seemed to be quote resource intensive, so I'd imagine 11 to be even more so.

As for the pandemic itself, it's been tough, but life was always tough for me. I'm just glad I'm alive, and it's been pleasant to be part of this community. I'm not saying Windows is the worst thing in the world, but Linux is fun. Windows 10 just doesn't run well on old tech like I'm running.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

EOL?
WinXP still runs great!

my friend up the road has 3 WinXP desktops networked together, and does not intend to upgrade any of them.

when he is thru for the day, he shuts them off....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:08 pm EOL?
WinXP still runs great!
my friend up the road has 3 WinXP desktops networked together, and does not intend to upgrade any of them.
when he is thru for the day, he shuts them off....
Exactly. Microsoft come up with a false term (End Of Life) and the news media jump on it and believe it. Typical of the news media.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

And this topic has run it course with the pedantic. Locked.

Return to “Open Chat”