Windows 11 - Still not Linux-based

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Windows 11 - Still not Linux-based

Post by Tolayon »

The boastful announcement in 2015 about Windows 10 being the last forever aged ... Well, not that well.

After initial disclaimers it now seems obvious: A new version of Windows, right around the time it was expected to arrive based on previous cycles, will hit the markets probably this fall.
The "bad" news is - it's still not Linux-based as some people might hope (or fear). The "good" news is - Windows 10's days are now definitely numbered, as another thread in this forum already pointed out.

The reason why Windows 10 gets replaced after all seems to be mainly for two (or three) circumstances:
1) MacOS also finally upgraded to version 11 - after 20 years! (Though mostly as part of the shift to proprietary Apple silicon)

2) Windows 10X, announced for mobile dual-screen devices, got scrapped - but the designs already made had to go somewhere.

3) The new design reminds strongly of ChromeOS, which in the last year became a bigger and bigger challenger on the desktop market

Anyway, Windows 11 is coming, it will probably be the first version you cannot buy, but only rent - here's a detailed first look from one of my favourite youtubers:
-> Windows 11 leaked
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows 11 - Still not Linux-based

Post by cliffcoggin »

Windows? Windows? Ah yes, I think I remember now. Some sort of electronic chicanery from the early days of computers wasn't it?
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Tolayon wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm Windows 11 - Still not Linux-based

My Garage - Still doesn't have a Tesla

My Wallet - Still doesn't have a million dollars in it
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If (probably when IMO) MS releases a Linux based Windows I think it'll be about as much like Linux Mint et al as Apple OS is. OS X is based on a very similar Unix compatible kernel to the Linux kernel, but it uses a proprietary closed wrapper. Very closed. I'm expecting MS to do the same sort of thing.

More users need to see that Mint etc is GNU/Linux, not 'Linux'. There's a difference. Technically Linux is just the kernel.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Got a Nissan Leaf not a Tesla. Zero emissions and zero gas bill. Have LM 20.1Cinnamon. No more MS or Norton malware. 8)
MS will never send out a Linux based OS since MS makes so much money off selling all the info they milk out of the Windows customers. :mrgreen:
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:23 pm My Wallet - Still doesn't have a million dollars in it

With compliments.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Zero emissions
A widely dispersed misconception. Nowhere near the case.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

*yawn*
Windows 11....I care as much about Windows turd number 11 about as much as a care about a stupid telemarketer caller who uses bots to do her dirty work for her.

I need microsoft about as much as a I need an infected scrotum. (George Carlin ) xD

Imagine...actually caring about a new Windows release..when the Linux world already serves all you needs while STILL allowing you to keep 100% ownership..of YOUR...PC. Somehow the quote by Martin Luther King just still doesn't seem surreal enough to me :D

On to a more applicable point now. I've seen on youtube all over these pc tech guys making content about windows 11 ..a particular argument going on about whether or not Microcrap is using a Linux Kernel for this upcoming version of winwoes.

1st. I HIGHLY doubt this. Why? Simple. It is because Microcrap DOESN'T want a core of their os to be auditable by anyone ..BUT microsoft software devs and Satya Nadella. Linux is open source..meaning auditable by anyone who can understand the Linux Kernel and how it is built and works. It just makes no sense from their (microsoft's) mindset at all. They've proven throughout two decades straight that they will never want " the end user" to have say so in how their OS works from the ground up....especially dealing with their 4th amendment constitutional rights ( their meaning the end user) being disrespected as far back as even the XP days.

2. Microsoft would have a harder time RETAINING..their ability to data mine their users if they used the Linux Kernel as the new core of their operating system since Linux geeks around the world would probably find ways to circumvent the telemetry built into Windows at the core. The prank hacking would be glorious.lol.
Last edited by motoryzen on Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

I dumped Microsoft Windows back in the year 2000 and moved to GNU/Linux. Though it's no longer relevant to me, thanks for letting me know Microsoft Windows is still around.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm
Portreve wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:23 pm My Wallet - Still doesn't have a million dollars in it

With compliments.
You're the man, Kadaitcha Man.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 am You're the man, Kadaitcha Man.
Zimbabwe_$100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Do you have change?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Do you have change?
And how much change would that be ???, About 25 cents U.S.???...lol...DAMIEN
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm

With compliments.
That one is a FAKE. Mine has Bill Clinton on it

Return to “Open Chat”